Dermatology Expert Forum
Herpes redness

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Herpes redness

My question concerns a red area that I have on my chin after a genital herpes episode. I have had herpes sores three times in the last three years about a year apart each time. (I was so surprised and devastated that when the tests came back positive for genital herpes I had the test done again). The outbreak has been on the same spot on my chin each time. I get a very large sore and blister and within a week or so, after taking 400 mil. of acyclovir three times a day I get a scab, it dries up and that
I'm not sure why you're calling herpes of the chin "genital."  

In any case, persistent redness after a herpes episode is common enough.  Maybe this time the inflammation was bit more intense--over time, it won't matter.  The redness goes away in time, all by itself.  If you apply Vitamin E lotion or cream, that may help speed the process up.  Please avoid rubbing or scratching, as that delays things.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff

Stash,

When you had the herpes test done did they type it? In other words ... did they tell you if the herpes on your chin was type-1 or type-2 ?

There are some site and type guidelines along with the differences between type-1 and type-2 herpes:
http://members.cox.net/yoshi2me/Site-Type/Site-Type.htm

Here is a little bit of the information you will find:

GENITAL HSV-2:
HSV-2 accounts for three quarters or more of all genital herpes cases. People with HSV-2 tend to have signs and symptoms of recurrent, though they may be unrecognized.

GENITAL HSV-1:
Often transmitted through oral sex, HSV-1 causes a substantial proportion of first-episode genital herpes, but it tends to recur much less frequently than HSV-2 in the genital area.

ORAL HSV-1:
HSV-1 causes the vast majority of oral herpes ("cold sores" or "fever blisters"). Keep in mind that anywhere from 50% to 80% of adults have latent oral herpes (usually acquired early in life); only about a third of these individuals recall any symptoms, however.

ORAL HSV-2:
It's rare to find someone who has oral HSV-2, but it can happen. After recovery from a possible first episode, such an infection is of little consequence in most cases, since oral HSV-2 is not likely to reactivate and cause signs or symptoms.

Hope this helps,

Angela