Dermatology Expert Forum
Herpes Type 1 -Cold Sore spread to genitals

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dear Doctor, I had a small crack on my scrotum, it was hard to see but when I took a shower and sprayed water on it it stung...it cleared up rather quickly, noticed on Friday gone by Sunday night...I have read about herpes and became very worried...the crack did not have any vesicles, it was not red...and very small. I have not had sex in many years but I do have a history of cold sores and was afraid I touched that area and transfered it to my scrotum. I am not even sure what herpes is suppose to "really" look like but someone told me it could look like even a simple pimple...I assumed it might look something like my lip but not really unsure...I was hoping you could give me some expert advise....Thank you so much for your help!!!

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for the spread of cold sores to the genitals but from the symptoms that you have mentioned it looks more like chafing skin rather than any cold sores. For a person who has had herpes cold sores from herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV1), it is unlikely for HSV1 to be transmitted to the genitals as HSV1 does not have genitalia as its preferred site.

Most individuals have no or only minimal signs or symptoms from HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection. When signs do occur, they typically appear as one or more blisters. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal the first time they occur. Typically, another outbreak can appear weeks or months after the first, but it almost always is less severe and shorter than the first outbreak.

From your symptoms it looks like chafing skin rather than cold sores. Chafing is irritation of skin caused by repetitive friction, usually generated through skin to skin contact of multiple bodyparts. It occurs when the skin becomes irritated by the friction caused by rubbing – either against other skin or against a foreign material. It can be exacerbated by dry skin.

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.Also wear cotton undergarments. Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be used only under medical supervision as they have potential side effects.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

Can someone tell me if this is herpes symptoms.  Im afraid for my life and pray to god its not.. and just skin rash. It doesnt hurt. Nor am I swelling or have a flu or any abdominal pain... what could this be??? Link to pic http://i60.tinypic.com/1zlrr6p.jpg