Dermatology Expert Forum
Herpes Type 1
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Herpes Type 1

I am a 44 year old female and had a Herpes Type 1 and 2 Culture taken from my gential (genital) area after experiencing itchiness and burning after I scratched myself and after using an over the counter fungus cream to cure the itch in my genital area before I went to the doctor to get the culture.  This occurred 10 years ago - a year after my only experience with intercourse when I was a 34 year old virgin and my only experience with intercourse to this date.  (I never had anyone perform oral sex on me)  The culture came back negative for Herpes Type II and positive for Herpes Type 1.  I was given Zovorex in pill and cream form.  I went to get a second opinion 3 days later but the rash was gone and therefore there was nothing for the new doctor to culture in order to give me a second opinion.  In the ten years that followed, I did not have another outbreak nor did I have sex in any form.  I think I have had cold sores on my lips and face but am not sure if that is what it is.  The outbreak ten years ago in my genital area was not occompanied with a high fever nor was it accompanied with swolen glands.  However, a week after losing my virginity ten years ago with my boyfriend, I did come down with a urinary tract infection.  When I was a child, though, I had similar rashes (itchiness and burning after scratching in the genital area) but although I was sent to the doctor twice as a child (8 or 9), I was never diagnosed with Herpes Type 1 or 2 and do not know if the rash when I was a child was cultured or not.  (I was a child and was afraid to have the doctor really examine me)  Still, my childhood rashes felt similar to what I experienced ten years ago.  Is there a way I can get cultured again, even though I have not had nother outbreak, to ensure that I did not get a false positive ten years ago?  Could I have spread the virus on myself ten years ago?  Of course, it is possible that my first time lover ten years ago gave it to me as we did have unprotected sex.  I am confused though because I had had similar experiences as a child and now wonder if those childhood rashes were Herpes Type 1 all the time without my knowing it.  Also, if I did indeed spread the virus from my lip to my genital area ten years ago, is it posisble that I would never get another outbreak in the genital area especially since ten years have gone by without incident?  Is there a way to explain this to a new boyfriend (should I meet one) when it may have been a one time occurence?