Dermatology Community
Herpes-could the lab test be wrong?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Herpes-could the lab test be wrong?

Help me sleep at night. I am 31 and in a 10month monogamous relationship.
Two weeks ago I went to my doctor for burning while urinating. I tested negative for yeast, and bacteria(vaginal and bladder).
Later that day I got a bump. A welt of a bump that turned into a cluster of 5 bumps, these looked like the pimples you get deep under the skin that never come to surface. Over the course of 2 days this turned into about 15 large bumps in the pubic area randomly dispersed with one cluster of 5 large bumps. My lymph nodes got swollen and I came down with a fever and sore throat (tested positive for strep a week later). I went to a walk in medical center 5 days after 1st symptoms (as I was half the US away on vacation) and the doctor said it looked like folliculitis. He asked if I had used an old razor and I said yes, I am on vacation and used the one in my travel bag (not new). He prescribed an antibiotic and a cream and wrote me a script for Valtrex just in case and cultured the lergest area of bumps. These bumps looked just like huge ingrown hairs. They lasted 5 days until complete healing. I took the cream and antibiotic but not the Valtrex (did you ever see the size of them! gulp!) Thee bumps did not ooze anything and did not turn white. When I ripped them appart (my friend told me to do this to look for an infected hair-why did I listen?) there was much pain! And there was a slight bit of clear fluid. They never ever tingled, they were not small. They did not itch only hurt. My boyfriend nor I has ever had a cold sore orally or genital. Much to my surprise the lab rapid culture came back positive. I was devistated. I went to my doctor. He said it did not sound like herpes to him at all and until he has his own lab test he does not even think I have it.(I dont want to get my hopes up ) I got the IgG test for HSV1 and HSV2 results in one week. Any opinnions? I cant sleep.