Dermatology Expert Forum
Herpes on buttocks/penis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Herpes on buttocks/penis?

Hi Dr. Rockoff,

I was seen yesterday by a dermatologist and my primary care physician for an issue I had on my butt and penis. I saw a small red bump in the middle of my shaft on my penis. i tried to pop it and a little bit of white stuff came out (I believe).

Anyhow, I also noticed I had some rather large (welt looking almost) bumps near my "crack" about 3 to be exact. They extended down in kind of a line. Naturally, I also tried to pop these, but I dont think I got anything out. I noticed the welts/pimples after I got out of the shower and the top of my crack is irritated/red according to my doctor.

Both the dermatologist and my doctor checked both areas and were not concerned. I asked if I needed an antibody test but they said it wasn't needed. The bumps on my butt have gone down (I rarely wash my butt in the shower and dont dry very well, I also have a "leaky" anus). I sit down 8+ hours a day for work and at home, probably more like 10 hours a day.

I was prescribed a body wash to use on my butt and advised that I need to continue washing my butt going forward.

In your opinion, should I move on from the herpes bit based on their conclusions? I had no swollen inguinal nodes, fever, etc.  
Indeed you should move on.  The rash you saw doesn't sound like herpes, and two physicians saw it when it was visible enough for them to draw sound conclusions.  These bumps sound like blocked pores.  Not to worry.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I should also point out that the original bumps looked like hives. I've also noticed when I wipe my butt ( I poop a bit too much) that I get blood here and there. Doc checked my anus thoroughly and so did the dermatologist.