Herpes on the arm??

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Herpes on the arm??

Is it possible to get Herpes on the arm? Here's the deal...
I have this spot on my arm just below my elbow. It gets these pimple like spots (about 5-7) in a small area. When they 1st appear, they itch, but then they become painful. The whole area combined is about the size of a quarter.
The first time I got this was about a year ago. I never went to the doctor & after a week or so it went away. I had brushed the area on a wall and broke open the "pimples". They dried up and the area became like a scab. I didn't think about it much until the same thing came back this past January in the same exact spot!
Again, the "pimples" broke open when they got bumped.By the time I could get in to see my Dr, it was gone. The scab formed and it went away.
Now the same thing is happening again in the same spot!
Someone told me that it could be herpes. However, I've never been exposed to herpes to my knowledge & I don't get cold sores or any areas in my genital region.
If this is herpes, is it a sexually transmitted disease? Like, could I have gotten this from my husband, even through just skin contact? If not, how in the heck did I get something like this??
I looked at the pictures of herpes on the skin & it *does* look similar.
I have read that a type of herpes is similar to chicken pox & shingles. I've also never had chicken pox or the vaccine.
If it is herpes, how is this treated?
Thanks! :)
From the symptoms the possibility of HSV1 ( herpes1 ) cannot be ignored. Most individuals have no or only minimal signs or symptoms from HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection. When signs do occur, they typically appear as one or more blisters. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal the first time they occur. Typically, another outbreak can appear weeks or months after the first, but it almost always is less severe and shorter than the first outbreak.

Herpes simplex is most easily transmitted by direct contact with a lesion or the body fluid of an infected individual. Transmission may also occur through skin-to-skin contact during periods of asymptomatic shedding.

The only way of ruling it out is by getting yourself tested for herpes. Laboratory tests include: culture of the virus, direct fluorescent antibody (DFA) studies to detect virus, skin biopsy, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to test for presence of viral DNA. I sincerely advise you to consult a dermatologist and get it ruled out. The other possibility is of impetigo.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for your response. I actually went to my PCP today. She said that more than likely it is Herpes. She cultured the fluid from one of the pustules & we're waiting on the results. In the mean time, she put me on valtrex 500mg 2x a day for 3 days. She gave me some refills to take if it comes back.
Does this mean that I will always have this or will it ever go away completely?
I'm keeping it covered with a bandage since she told me that it was contagious. I'm  not sure how I would have gotten this in the 1st place since the first time I ever had the skin problem, I didn't have a wound or scratch anywhere.
Thanks again,
Unfortunately there is no permanent cure for herpes and the herpetic virus can recur again and agin because the virus is lodged in the nerves. Herpes simplex is most easily transmitted by direct contact with a lesion or the body fluid of an infected individual. Transmission may also occur through skin-to-skin contact during periods of asymptomatic shedding.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Did you find out anything else?