Dermatology Expert Forum
Herpes or Hair/Razor Bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Herpes or Hair/Razor Bumps
Hello, I am a female therefore I tend to shave alot.  The last time I shaved was three weeks ago and I think I may have shaved too closely.  I have bump within my bikini area.  The bump is not red or anything but it hurts like crazy when I sit for along period of time.  The bump almost feel like it's raised.  I had a bump like this about 3 weeks ago.  I picked at it which made it worse and it became bigger until it looked like a blister and began to bleed.  Is this a hair bump or herpes. There was a hair in the center of the bump that I have now and I plucked it out with tweezers.

Sincerely Concerned
It sounds like a hair bump, not herpes.  I advise you to leave it alone, to apply bacitracin or neosporin ointment twice a day, and if you have discomfort, to apply warm compresses or to sit in a tub if warm water.

It may take some time for the lump to be reabsorbed, but it will if you leave it alone.  If it doesn't, let a doctor have a look.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Will someone please answer the question?
The doc is probably busy, but he always responds (look at the previous threads). You will have to be patient. Doesn't sound like herpes to me, perhaps a boil?
Boils don't look like blisters though.
It sounds like folliculitus or an ingrown hair suggesting by the follicle in the center that was probably infected, thus the pain.  Is there any recent sexual activity that leads you to suspect herpes?