Dermatology Expert Forum
Herpes or an Infection?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Herpes or an Infection?

for the past few months or so, (maybe longer) i have been experiencing a rash on the lower end of my vagina on each sides of my 'lips.' i notice it more a day or two after sex. it seems like no matter how soft and gentle my boyfriend is with me, i always tear right in that spot between my vagina and anus. going up from the area (on both sides) i have this red irritation that looks like small (very small) cuts, almost. it's hard to even see them, if you don't look closely. at first glance, it just looks red and irritated on each side. it's been going on for a while. i went to my gyno in june, terrified that i may have some type of STD. she examined me, and while she was looking she said that she did not think it was herpes. she asked me if i wanted her to do a herpes test anyway..and i said yes. she did not do the blood test, but she did do a culture, i believe. at least she said she was going to. she tested me for chlamydia and gonorrea as well (which later both came back negative). after she had examined me and let me get dressed, she came back in the room and said everything looked fine. i'm assuming she quickly looked under the microscope at the culture she did, but i'm not 100% sure. at any rate, she had prescribed a steroid cream for me to use. i never ended up filling the prescription (which i know, was stupid of me). i was just relieved that she didn't think it was herpes. and i had felt better and it seemed like the rash had gone away. well, needless to say, it's back again. it's been back a few times since, but this time for some reason i am more scared than ever. i am worried that i really do have herpes and maybe she mis-diagnosed me. i have been reading about herpes online and read that herpes symptoms can be as minor as little cuts and red sore areas on the skin. do you think i have herpes? i'm not sure what to do. i can't sleep, eat, or function because i am so scared. i have made myself sick. i made another appointment w/ my doc to do another culture and a blood test. but until then, i feel like i need some advice or piece of mine about this issue. i have never seen any blisters,(water filled, or just blisters in general)down there. everytime that i have looked myself, i have just seen red areas w/ some cuts. but, i am afraid that maybe i am missing the blister stage and just seeing the aftermath? i do not see any scabs, and i have never felt any rough skin. it's just been raised skin that seems swollen and red with tiny abrasions. it's not unbearable, but it's not comfortable either. it doesn't hurt to pee. and sometimes when i wipe i don't even realize that the rash is there. if i wipe hard, it hurts a little. what does this sound like to you? my doc had said she thought it was just some kind of skin infection. do you think she is right? or does this sound like herpes to you? i wasn't scared until i read about people having herpes and not realizing it because they dismissed it as a rash. is that what i am doing? help?
This does not sound anything at all like herpes.  It sounds like irritation from friction.  Call your gynecologist and confirm the herpes tests that were done.  Lubricate before and after sex.  Please stop driving yourself crazy over this. You don't need to.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
So I am nervous.  I have symptoms similar to what has been described, like the tearing and small cut.  I recently switched laundry detergent to Tide with Downey and have broken out in a rash  of itchy bumps on my shoulders, neck, buttocks and where my bra rubs.  But today I noticed the same sort of bumps on my labia and bikini line.  They are a little painful, but nothing horrible.  I am having concerns.  Is it possible to have contact dermatitis down there?  and if so would it look or feel different from dermatitis in a less moist area?  Thanks!
I just suddenly got a fever of 102.2 and it only lasted one day and now it's gone. One of my lymphnodes below my ovary is swelled up and hurts and my vagina is bleeding but only when I urinate. Other than that, it doesn't bleed at all. My stomach kind of hurts and so does my lower back. There is also an odd odor coming from my vagina, but it's not that bad. Could I be pregnant?