Dermatology Expert Forum
Herpes test results interpretation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Herpes test results interpretation

Hi Doc I went and had a test for all the possible std's and being in a foreign country I need some help interpreting the results please. Some of them are pretty straight forward giving negative or positive results - all negative thank goodness. The ones I do not understand are the herpes I and II. They give the results method E.L.I.S.A Herpes Simplex type 1 came back at 86,30 U.E/mL with positive being above 20 and negative below 20 - so I assume that means I am positive for herpes I ?? I have never had an attack to my knowledge??

For Herpes type II IgG i was at 4,5 U.E/mL so I assume negative (below 20) but why some presence then.

Then they did something which says -Ab ANTI H.SIMPLEX 1-2 IgM this said negative (method (E.I.A Qualitive)

Can you please explain to me these results thanks
IgM antibodies appear soon after an infection--so a negative test means you probably didn't just have an infection.  Your herpes type 2 test is negative.  The presence of low amounts of the antibody they test for doesn't mean anything.  As for the positive test to herpes type 1, many people have been exposed to the virus and never had a visible attack.  Antibody levels by themselves don't mean a thing.

All good news, it seems to me.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Hello Doc
This is more a question than a comment...just like the person who started this discussion i have a hard time interpreting my results..just underwent an elisa test for herpes ...igG negative and igM close to the limit before being positive i guess but under...so...doc wants me to have another test in 3 weeks...what does this mean? do i already have herpes in my body since i have a high lever of antibodies igM or is this a good sign since it shows that my antibodies are way up and fighting to stop any contamination by herpes that i might have been in contact with...(if i was exposed i think it must have been in jun several times if the time frame means something) help i am lost and i guess my doc wants to wait for the next results before saying anything but i would like to have an idea of what to expect..at least i could get used to the idea...can you help? thank you so very muchhhhhhhh !!!!!
Marjo
Did you ever find out what your second tests results were?  I have had a similar thing happen and am curious why the IgM is so high.  I was in the borderline as well and will have to go back and take the test again.