Dermatology Expert Forum
Herpes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Herpes

Hello. I have been expieriencing red bumps on my pubic region above my penis. The bumps all have pubic hairs on or around it and last about a week. I have also expierieced an increased amount of itching on my scrotum, penis, and where the rash is present. The blisters/bumps don't hurt just itch. Is there anyway possible this could be herpes? I've had unprotected sex. Some of these bumps show up in clusters which I know is a symptom of herpes. If this is folliticus is there a cure. How can I prevent getting these embarassing rashes/bumps in my pubic region. What treatment would you suggest for the folliticus or do you think this could be herpes. Should I go see a doctor? I have never had a rash or blister on my penis just in the pubic region. Is it possible to get herpes in the pubic region and not on the penis. I am very clean and practice very good hygene so I can't figure out why I'm getting these zits/rashes/ingrown hairs or whatever I'm expieriencing. Your best advice would be greatly appreciated.

Warm Regards.
I think you have folliculitis rather than herpes.  You can get that even if you take good care of yourself.

My advice to you is to see a doctor.  I think it will just take one visit to establish the diagnosis, and get proper treatment.  That way you won't have to worry anymore, and will be able to keep the situation under control.

In the meantime, I would just cleanse with a mild soap and leave the area alone.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Dr, I did go to the doctor at first and he said he thought I had foliticis but he didn't give me any treatment. Do you have any suggestions on over the counter products that would reduce the apearance of the rashes that I have been expieriencing.

Thanks.
Not really. Gentle cleansing and leaving things alone are best.  They'll go away.

Dr. Rockoff
Coolio...  I have had the same damm thing you have for 3 to 4 weeks now... I realized I had them after having sex with a condom to someone who just had a NEGITIVE HIV test(i know that does not matter) I notcie the bumps about 3 to 4 days later after having protective sex...Say on a Monday the little red bumps look like they are drying up, going away, etc,but after a 2 mile jog they flare up in the same place just as you describ... For the first (2) weeks I just figured heat rash but now going into the 3-4 weeks I am kinda concered.. To make things worst I went to a General Practition Doctor today and  actually she was not a doctor she was a PA..?..  Her diagnosis was it is a good chance they are HERPES!!!  I was freaked...  I asked her how can this be if I have had the same thing for the PAST 4 weeks flare up one day(24hrs) heal to almost disapear in another 48 hours, then in the next (2) days some activity happens..  So for the past month this has happened. So she gave me a blood test to determine what it may be!! Just thought I share my story...  I have not heard of anyone getting blood test lately for herpes I wonder why?