Dermatology Expert Forum
Hives/Shingles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hives/Shingles

I have an autoimmune disease -systemic JRA  that I have been treated for , for approx.  13 years-  I am now in my early 30's.

My question is this- beginning last spring,  I had quite a flare and my medication was increased.  Beginning in August I have had 3 episodes where I first begin to have hives and then approximately a week later,  break out in something that looks similar to tiny boils -  the first time it happened across my back,  the next two times it occured I guess you could say on the side of my ribcage.  The hive episodes lasted about 3-4 weeks each time.  With this last episode one of the spots is taking a while to clear up and that area where it is is very tender---- any hints as to what this might be????  Thank you for your time!
Annie:

Often I see patients who get outbreaks of small boils on various parts of their bodies.  These represnt "folliculitis," or iflammation of the skin follicles which cover the body.  I have rarely been able to make sense of why these pop out and where they apear.  If left alone and not picked at, they always go away.  They have no contagious or systemic significance.

In your case, I can't hink of any relationship with your JRA.

Have you shown these outbreaks to your doctor?

best.

Dr. R
My brother has a very red, burning, itchy rash on his chest, and has spread to the neck, sholder, and upper back.  He completed several chemo-therapy treatments, 6 months ago.  He says it is very painful also, and at times has what he calls "cramps" around the left and right chest(not at the same time).  He sometimes runs a fever, but it has not been measured, to know how high it is at those times.  It does not have "blisters.  He has not been exposed to the sun (not on his upper torso, just arms and legs.  He has very dry, itchy skin, that he says, he was told it is due to the chemo therapy.     The skin, where this rash appears, is extremely sensitive.  Do you have any  ideas?
When was the first case of shingles?
A related discussion, Hives? was started.
A related discussion, Shingles Hives relationship was started.