Hives after sex

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hives after sex

Recently for the past 3 months, after my wife and I have sex she gets hives or small raised welts on th inside of her arms and on top of her breasts. Just wondering if you have heard of this before or do you know what may be causing this?  We have been together for 23 years and it has never happened till now. I am 39 and she is 40.

Thanks Chris
One of the possibilities for such hives after intercourse is dermatographism. Dermatographism can be caused by stress, tight or abrasive clothing, watches, glasses, energetic kissing, heat, cold, or anything that causes stress to the skin. It can be treated by antihistamines or cromoglicate and sometimes steroids, as they prevent the histamine from causing the reaction. As the underlying cause of dermographism is not known, it can last for many years without relief.

You can get it evaluated from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.