Hot red swollen face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hot red swollen face

I woke up and got ready and my face started getting a red hot and swollen.  I have been on Gentimicin for about 5 days for my eye swelling and I am not on anything else. Anyway , it looked like giant hives on my cheek bones and my face was on fire.  My doctor didn't really know what to tell me. I started taking amoxicilian 250 3x/day and some childrens allergy meds. (I get heart palps and my BP is a little high so I can't take stronger)  This is going on day 3. I looks a bit better but more like when I got a 2nd degree sunburn.  Still swollen, red and hot. It goes around to the back of my neck as well.  Not sure what to do.
This looks like an allergic reaction to the drug and can be hives. The standard treatment of hives is oral antihistaminics and topical steroids. Oral antihistaminics relieve itching and you can get them over the counter but some of them may cause drowsiness, hence it should be taken under a medical guidance. Topical steroids and oral steroids are available by prescription from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you. Its getting better. I still feel alot of pressure in my head.  I put the heating pad on it.  Not sure if that will help. Face is back to normal temperature. I am just wiped out. My eyes are still glassy though. The antihistamines really dried me out .Even my skin is flaking, unless that is from the reaction and because it was so hot.  Almond oil is working nicely on that.