How can I prevent tanning?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

How can I prevent tanning?

This summer, I got a job lifeguarding at an outdoor pool.  The job is during the day, and we wear shorts and t-shirts while we work.  I am Indian in origin, and have a medium-brown skin tone.  Over the past few days, the parts of my body covered by clothes have kept this complexion, but the uncovered parts (my arms and shins) have tanned to around the tone of an African-American.  This has created the non-Caucasian equivalent of a farmer's tan, and I do not like it.

I always use sunblock anywhere between SPF 30-50, and reapply every 2 hours.  I understand that SPF only measures UVA rays, but I haven't found any sunblock that also measures UVB protection.  Is there any particular sunblock I should use?  What other steps can I take to prevent tanning?

'The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) recommends treating mild sunburn with cool baths, over-the-counter hydrocortisone creams, and aspirin to ease pain and swelling.

Severe sunburn should be treated as a medical emergency and examined by a doctor right away. Severe sunburn is often characterized by a large area of red, blistered skin with a headache, fever, or chills. '

A dermatologist or plastic surgeon can develop a treatment plan based on your needs. Treatments can include chemical peels, dermabrasion, and skin fillers.

The effects of the UV radiation from the sun or the UV radiation of tanning beds are the same. '

You could read more about this at -

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/tanning/risks.html

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning

It would be advisable to consult your doctor if you have any of these symptoms.

The American Academy of Dermatology recommends the use of sunscreens, wearing sun protective clothing and avoiding the sun altogether.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.