How do I get rid of and prevent shaving bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I'm a 20 year old african - american and i first tried shaving with a blade about 3 years ago. I really didn't know what I was doing and just rubbed the razor over my face while it was dry without any cream or gel. The next day i noticed that the parts of my face where I had shaved was covered with bumps. It took about 5 months for the bumps to disappear but it left some black spots and then it took about 1 year for the black spots to disappear.
During that time whenever i needed to shave I just used a electric shaver and just lightly grazed over the hair. I finally decided to try shaving again and this time to prevent the bumps i waited till after i took a hot shower, used shaving gel before, then used the nuvea after shave that was supposed to help reduce irritation. The next day my face was still smooth but then about 2 days later the bumps started to appear and now my whole lower face is covered with shaving bumps.
I was just wondering if there is anyway to help speed up the healing of the shaving bumps or do I just have to wait another year for them to disappear? Also for the next time I try to clean shave what can I do to prevent shaving bumps?
  • Pimples from shaving (1 replies):
    Im female and 22 years old. I have dry skin and in the s...[more]
  • SHAVING (2 replies):
    Hi! Every time i shave (pubic hair) i get big some time...[more]
  • Shave (1 replies):
    Yes Doc, It's me again! ITs been about 6 weeks now o...[more]
  • Face rash (2 replies):
    I have had a strange rash on my face and neck, mainly ar...[more]
  • shaving bumps (4 replies):
    I'm only 15 years old and i have tried everything under ...[more]
do you shave with the growth of hair or against it?  you should shave with it...id advise you to see a skin doctor called a dermatologist...it doesnt sound right to me for the bumps to last a year.

you probably would be helped my getting the hottest wash cloth you can stand putting on face for 5-10 minutes it softens hair....use a fair amount of shave creme its likely not good to dry shave.

I have read vitamins C D and K are healthy for skin but you need to ask dr before taking...some are water soluable just comes out in urine what you dont need . some are fat soluable can damage liver if too high dose.

good luck!!!!

Cherie762
Thanks, i'll try the shaving with the grain method next time.
your welcome..I know for sure that a hot towel soak for 5 min helps alot too it loosens the whiskers making it easier to shave
You seem to be having pseudofolliculitis barbae. Pseudofolliculitis barbae is a type of folliculitis which results from shaving. Treatment consists of letting your beard grow for 1 month and then shaving with a moisturizing shaving foam and single razor blade. Shave in the direction of the follicle, not against it  and at night, apply a lotion containing glycolic acid to the affected areas. This exfoliates the surface skin cells and reduces the likelihood of new inflamed spots.

In case the symptoms persist then oral tetracyclines and laser treatment are the best.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.