How long can chicken pox possibly last?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

How long can chicken pox possibly last?

I am 35 years old, diabetic, and I was diagnosed with chicken pox Aug. 31, after my whole body was already covered in them. So overall it's been more than a month since it all began.

Most of the initial sores have crusted over by now and are starting to go away. The problem is, after a whole month of this already, I'm still getting new blisters, especially on my hands and feet but also in the groin area again. These new sores don't pop up as frequently as the initial rash did, but it seems like I find a new one every day still. They are large and throbbing painfully, and slow in healing.  My feet hurt so badly I can barely stand to wear any shoes at all.

My question is: Shouldn't this ordeal be over by now? Is it normal to still get new sores after such a long time?

I keep thinking that the illness just needs to run its course and that my doctor won't be able to do much since it's a virus. I'm starting to get a little worried, hower, especially because I'm diabetic (type 1) and I can't help but wonder if this extended illness is wreaking some internal havoc that I can't see.
The lesions of chicken pox last for 3-4 weeks mostly but in your case, since it has been present for more than 4 weeks, so the possibility of secondary bacterial infection causing impetigo is to be explored. Moreover since you are having diabetes, so chicken pox can last longer and is more severe in diabetics and immunocompromised individuals. Please get a control over your blood sugar levels by consulting an endocrinologist and also consult a physician and discuss the possibility of use of antiviral drugs.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.