How to treat extreme forearm skin irritation in elderly.
I am caring for my 90 yearold mother. She has acute kidney failure and high BP. She takes Accupron, Lasix, Norvasc, and some light antidepressants (Xanax, and Ceroquel in small doses).
Recently she was hospitalised for low sodium (which was treated with a 0.9% saline drip for 3 days).
Since returning home she has developed a severe redness and skin thickness which itches on her forearms. (See Photo)  
I have been treating this with Mycospore cream thinking it might be a fungal inferction but there has been little improvement in 7 days.
Can you suggest maybe the cause of this and indicate some form of treatment without cortezone which causes problems with kidney patients.
Thank you
Maria Hatziandreaou.
For such skin redness and erythema, cellulitis skin and dermatitis skin has to be ruled out. It usually follows a break in the skin, such as a fissure, cut, laceration, insect bite, or puncture wound.
Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics and for itching antihistaminics can be given. Also consult her doctor as she may need oral antibiotics.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.