Human demodex

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Human demodex

Can a person have human demodex without experiencing acne, rosecea, or breakouts?

Both my husband and I experience crawly mites on our face and hair - mostly at night. We have no acne, but both our torsos erupted in itchy dermatitis, which looked like bites, but weren't. I can feel them moving on my eyelashes and eyebrows. We can't find a dermatologist who knows much about human demodex, and the one we are seeing didn't know how to test for them. Given our symptoms he thought we might have them and gave us antibiotics and cortisone injections and put us on Metrogel for our faces and scalps.  It costs $167 a tube!! and lasts a week.The torso rash went away, itching is mostly gone. We use Metrogel on our faces twice a day, and  virgin coconut oil on our bodies and scalps at night, as it's cheaper.  After 8 weeks of treatment, I can still feel the mites on my face and eyelashes at night, tho diminished. My hubby doesn't feel them much anymore.  Can you recommend a derm in San Diego who knows how to test for and treat these mites - and are there alternative treatments we haven't heard about yet? We are both in our early 60s, otherwise healthy and fit. This is perplexing!
From the symptoms it looks like human demodex only. They are present in elderly individuals and are primarily found in the face, near the nose, the eyelashes and eyebrows, but also occur elsewhere on the body. For human demodex, cleanse the face twice daily with a non-soap cleanser, avoid oil-based cleansers and greasy makeup and exfoliate periodically to remove dead skin cells. If the symptoms are severe then topical permethrin can be prescribed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I am at my end trying to find a doctor who knows or understands demodex folliculitis.  No help at all.  Hair on fron has gotten bald.  Not thin....bald.  I have mites around my eyes not just lashes.  My skin as well but my hejad.....they are rapidly moving past the front/top and are going to hair in bac.
I need someone PLEASE to direct me to someone where I may go.  I am quite desperate and getting sick and fighting depression.
Help me someone please.
VICKS VAPOR RUB killed the demodex mites on my back.  My spouse rubbed the Vicks on my back, at night, every other night for three nights.  I wore loose fitting pajamas.  The demodex died and I have no more little, itchy blisters on my back.  The mites are just returning now after about two months.  I will use the Vicks tonight.

I have them in my scalp.  They respond to no treatment.  I would like to try the Vicks on my scalp, but I am afraid of it getting in my eyes.  You know how Vicks "oozes".

Hoping you found answers.  I just saw your post.  Best of luck.  A sales person at our vitamin store, has her degree in Natural Medicine.  She says Biotin (5mg daily) will re-grow hair.  Worth a try!
Its expensive , but it works .  Try the website : Demodex Solutions,  very educational and I use one face cream and buy as many eyelash ointments as I can afford, then use them all over where mites are, it costs less and lasts longer, still effective.

Hope it helps
I found my first helpful information here: http://www.delusionalinsects.com/index.html
David was the first person I was able to communicate with in near-real-time who knew anything about Demodex, and for that I will always be in debt to him.
Of course it shouldn't be like that. Doctors should wake up and think outside the textbooks -- and pay attention to research that wasn't done in the U.S. or  western Europe.
The initial question here was whether Demodex always produces acne or rosacea. They didn't for me, not until I forced them off my forehead (by applying medication only there) and they went into a check and I got rosacea there, but it looks only mild. My immune system just doesn't try to fight them.