Hypopigmentation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hypopigmentation

I was using a steroid cream called Topicort for my eczema. Now my skin is light in those spots (hypopigmentation). What can I do to reverse the spots. Also, if I stop using the cream will the pigment come back to my skin.
Tags: topicort
Excessive use of steroid cream/ointments is associated with hypopigmentation.

Inappropriate or overuse of topical corticosteroids can lead to obvious visible changes. The most common side effects of topical corticosteroid overuse include thinning of the skin, permanent stretch marks in body fold sites such as the arm pits and behind the knees, swelling of tiny blood vessels beneath the skin surface especially on the face, hypopigmentation and slowed wound healing.
ref:http://www.aad.org/media/background/press/corticosteroids.html

You will have to stop using the drug and wait and watch . In most cases once the drug has been stopped the skin usually regains the pigment.