Dermatology Expert Forum
I am scared...possible Primary HIV infection rash or allergic contact r...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

I am scared...possible Primary HIV infection rash or allergic contact rash?

Dear Doc,

I have tested HIV negative 4 months after my last exposure, and Dr. HHH and everyone else says it is conclusive. But I can't stop thinking about the rash I got right during the time frame for ars symptoms. I have had acne since I was 13, now I am 22. I use a lot of various things on my face, and I am not sure if it weakened my epidermis which is why I got this rash.

Anyways, I am not sure who touched my face or what I put on it, but let me tell you about the rash. It started as very very small blisters on my left cheek, and when I shaved my face, it popped the blisters. Afterwards, I put Hydrocortisone on my face, and it made it worse. My left cheek began to swell, and it felt hot. A few days later, the rash appeared on my right cheek, but there were no blisters, it just appeared as a single red irritated spot. A few days later, the rash showed up on my forehead, and it became really red, especially the side of my forehead, where the skin is very thin, it seemed there was a bit of swelling. In the meanwhile, the rash moved down from my face to the neck, with a rash all around my neck starting from under my ears. Also, my earlobes and eyelids also had the rash, and it was a bit itchy. The rash resolved in about 2 weeks, but the skin on my left cheek became darkened, and thick, and it took a lot of scrubbing with exfoliants to remove the thick skin.

Does this sound like the rash associated with acute HIV infection, or allergic contact dermatitis? Please doc, help me.