Dermatology Expert Forum
I can't see how it's not herpes.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I can't see how it's not herpes.

About 4 or 5 months ago, I began having unprotected intercourse with my girlfriend after getting to know eachother about 2 months. 2 to 3 weeks later, I began to have symptoms that seemed to match identically to herpes (I only know this now after reading on the internet). I first spoke with her and she indicated her doctor confirmed she had chlamydia. I went to see my long-time Family Practice Doctor who is well aware of my medical and sexual history (which has been higher-risk) and is well-experienced in the area of STD diagnosis and treatment.  I was tested for chlamydia and HSV-2 via a swab culture of my lesions. I tested positive for chlamydia but negative for HSV-2. I was treated for chlamydia and moved forward with my life. 1 month later, I again had symptoms that matched those of herpes. I went to a different doctor (Medical Assistant Type) who just looked at the sores and said it was HSV-2 and a lab test wasn't necessary as nothing else looks like herpes.  1 1/2 months later I had yet another incident of symptoms that match herpes exactly. I made my way back to my long-time doctor who got a good look at the sores in mid-stage and said they certainly do appear to be herpes but I need to see lab results from a swab culture. However, the lab results again came back negative. My long-time doctor says it is "un-likely" that the lab test was a false negative because of the stage the sores were in and I've had 2 negative results now so he's sending me to a dermotologist in a couple months. I have never confirmed if my former partner had herpes or had ever tested positive for herpes because we ceased contact together given what had happened. I'm having a very hard time accepting that this can't be herpes because I don't know what else it could be and my long-time doctor doesn't have the answer except that he doesn't believe it's herpes causing the sores. The situation leading up to it, the symptoms, and everything else (based on what I read on the internet) seem to point to herpes but my doctor suggests that the lab results which he believes are good culture samples are saying otherwise. The symptoms include the itching on the shaft my penis, then a cluster of blisters, then scabs, then healing just as described as symptoms of herpes.  As much as I don't want it to be herpes and would like to be cured of whatever it is, I can't imagine it's anything else yet I'm contradicting a well respected doctor and lab results.  Not to mention I'm back and forth experiencing the emotional trauma of this entire event and the potential outcome. I guess I want to know if I DO OR DON'T HAVE IT so I can move on with my life accordingly.  Can you offer me your opinion please?
Sure.  Get a herpes type 2 antibody test.  Negative cultures are sometimes unreliable.  If the blood test is also negative, show any future recurrence to a doctor as soon as it appears.  Examination and testing should clarify your condition.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I'm not a doctor, but have done my fair reading/testing for HSV.

There is a 70% error rate (false negative) of HSV cultures.  You should have a blood test done:  HerpeSelect Type Specific.  For 95% of the population, you will seroconvert (your blood will show antibodies for HSV) by 12-16 weeks past your last exposure.  I would ask your provider to run that specific test.  Look at the CDC website and download the recommended tests.

Good luck!!
have someone check for cellulitis and/or impetiego of the genitals. this is a staph infection of the skin.  i have no std history monog relationship for 15 years. i had the little bumps and lesions that looked like herpes, had 3 doctors do cultures three different times all negative.  finally found dective doc who helped me figure it out.
I am experiencing the same issue!!!! Except i have had the blood test done 3 times ----> all negative! I dont know what to do! I get the so called outbreaks due to the same reasons you would get a herpes outbreak and my doctor says that it is identical to herpes but tests say otherwise. I am relieved to know that there is someone else going through the same thing but i am sorry that anyone else has to go through this. Help!