DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
I fell down stairs...have a large rug burn under eye...please help!
by valleygirl901, May 21, 2008
Hello....yes, I was rushing as usual, and fell down the stairs 2 days ago. I now have a large (about the size of a quarter) rug burn under my eye. It bled in a few spots. I am not sure how to treat it to try to minimize scarring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have seen conflicting advice on the internet...do I keep it moist with an antibiotic ointment or do I keep it dry? Any other advice?
Thanks in advance.
Karen
Member Comments (1)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Vanessa LacuestaBlank, May 22, 2008
Hi.

Wash the area with a mild cleanser and pat it dry with a clean towel. Leave it exposed. Do not apply anything in the area as this may only aggravate the condition. This may just be an abrasion and abrasions are not really deep injuries. The skin may readily heal in time. You may take oral antibiotics for this since applying cream or ointments may irritate the eyes.

Keep the area clean and dry at all times. Wash your hands and refrain from unnecessarily touching the face.

Are your eyes swollen?

How severe is the affected area?