I have a 5 and 1 year old and there fingernails are falling off.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My five year old sons fingernails are all falling off and also my one year old daughters fingernail is falling off as well.What could be the cause of this? There are no other symptoms. I took my five year old to the doctor and the nurse practitioner didn"t know what it was so she consulted with another doctor after we left the office.She called me and stated that they thought it might be something called tens nail dystrophy and that it was something hereditary.So my question is why did my son and daughter have these problems at the exact same time if it something hereditary?Please help I am very concerned.

This discussion is related to Nail dystrophy.

It would be best to consult a skin specialist for the condition your children are having.

Nothing can be said without having a look at the lesions. This could also be an infective disease as both your children are having it at the same time.

There could be several causes of such symptoms and you should not delay in getting an opinion by a certified physician.

Let us know what your doctor advises and post us if you have any doubts.

Regards.