Dermatology Expert Forum
IS IT SUN DAMAGE ?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

IS IT SUN DAMAGE ?

ABOUT 10 WEEKS AGO, AFTER FOUR OR FIVE DAYS ON MY BOAT IN SAN DIEGO MY FACE NECK AND HANDS TURNED RED AND ITCHED. AFTER 2 WEEKS I SAW A DERMATOLOGIST WHO SUSPECTED AN ALLERGIC REACTION POSSIBLY A COMBINATION OF SUN AND SUNSCREEN. I USE THIS SAME EUCARIN FACIAL SPF 30 DAILY AS AFTERSHAVE SINCE I LIVE IN ARIZONA. HE PRESCRIBED 2.5% CORTISONE WHICH DID NOTHING. AFTER A FEW WEEKS THE PROBLEM WAS ALMOST TOTALLY GONE. I WENT BACK TO THE BOAT AND THE PROBLEM STARTED AGAIN,ALTHOUGH I  COVER UP, HAT AND LONG SLEEVES. THIS TIME THE DERMATOLOGIST GAVE ME A CREAM-TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE .1% AND SUGGESTED 20 MG PREDNISONE,3 A DAY FOR 7 DAYS, 2 A DAY FOR 7 DAYS, 1 A DAY FOR 7 DAYS. I WONDER IF PREDNISONE ISN'T LIKE USING A CANNON TO KILL A FLY, AND ALSO WONDER IF THE DIAGNOSIS IS CORRECT SINCE MY ARMS HAVE NOW BECOME RED AND ITCHING. THE ARMS WERE NOT PREVIOUSLY INVOLVED BUT WHEN THEY STARTED TO ITCH I TRIED BABY OIL TO RELIEVE THE DRYNESS AND THAT SEEMED TO MAKE IT WORSE.  I NOW HAVE SOME SPOTS (RASH) ON MY STOMACH (NEVER IN SUN). ANYRATE I HAVE JUST STARTED THE PREDNISONE. SINCE I AM 71  MAYBE THE YEARS OF SUN EXPOSURE ARE FINALLY CATCHING UP ? THOUGH I HAVE BEEN PRETTY CAREFUL. I WAS ALLERGY PRONE (RESPIRATORY) BUT USE NASONEX DAILY WITH GREAT SUCCESS. ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS ?