ITCHY ! ! ! ......Scalp sores, bumps ....
My scalp has been very itchy the past few days....in 2005 I went to a dermatologist to see about the problem at the time it was only in a certain part of my head, there was just redness and itchyness at first but now its like bumps and when I scratch them (I cannot stop its sooo annoying) they bleed...she gave me doxycyclin and some cream to pt on the area...for a while it worked and I ran out of the meds...It was ok for about two years then it started reappearing but not as bad with the itchiness so I let it go...Now its back full blown and all over the sides and back of my scalp.....I do not want to have to take meds for the rest of my life let alone rub cream on it twice a day does anyone know what I can do as far as a dermatologist....like is there anything they can do that will get rid of the itchyness and sores for good.   Oh ya and when It started my hair in the spot started thining and I was only 23 at the time and Im now 26 and slightly balding because of it

From the symptoms the possibility of perifolliculitis needs to be ruled out. It is characterised by small, very itchy pustules within the scalp, often most troublesome on the frontal hairline. The scalp should be washed with a mild normal shampoo as often as desired. Antidandruff shampoos containing antifungal agents such as ketoconazole or ciclopirox are sometimes helpful. Apart from that you need topical and oral antibiotics, antihistamines, oral steroids and topical tretinoin.

My sincere advice is to get it examined from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hello and thanks for the response, if I begin to take some type of topical med will I have to be on it forever, that is if I do have folliculitis?
Basically folliculitis is due to a bacterial infection and hence topical antibiotics and oral antibiotics will help you in getting rid of the infection. I hope it helps. Take care and regards