Dermatology Community
ITCHY PALM PLEASE HELP!!!
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

ITCHY PALM PLEASE HELP!!!

I've been having an itchy palm since the middle of August! Nothing seems to work! I'm going crazy and so scared that it can be something else. Has anyone ever experienced this??? It seems as though theres a tiny bump under the skin, can this cause the itching?? All my doctors are stumped at this point!! PLEASE HELP!
Related Discussions
160 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I know you asked this question a while ago but it could have been dermatitis. I have contact dermatitis from paper and it causes red itchy bumps on the palms of my hands. I also lose my fingerprints and get itchy bumps on the tips and sides of my fingers. I use an emollient cream at night and throughout the day to protect my hands. Myabe this info is better late than never.
Blank
Thanks for the helpful advice, but I don't think I have dermatitis. It's only my right palm that itches and its only in one spot, not the whole entire palm. And my bump isn't itchy, it's skin colored and looks as though it's underneath the palm. I'm going to a neurologist tomorrow because a GP thought it can be nerve damage. Thanks again.
Blank
Did you ever find out what was causing your itchy palm?  I think I have the same thing.  It's been itching for about 3 weeks and I noticed there seems to be a small bump under the skin where it itches.
Blank
if anyone knows whats causing this, please help. I have had this over and over , keeps coming back in the past 2.5 years
the bumps are on my palms as if they are under the skin, just like you described here. its very itchi and is driving me crazy. I have had auto immune isuues while I was pregnant and I think this have to do with an auto immune problem, because these symptoms only started since I gave birth , stoped for awhile and resumed after the 2nd delivery ...both pregnancies I had autoimmune problems. if anyone knows the answer to itchi bumps under the palms skin, please e-mail me :   ***@****     I dont trust the skin docs anymore, they always shut me up with some lotions and say it will go away, no one bothers figuring out whats really causing this.  please help if you know the answer. Yafit
Blank
and my e-mail is:     yafitco5(at)walla(dot)co(dot)il.   I have to write it this way or it gets deleted by the site
Blank
I have been having the same problem off and on for a long time and currently for the past 2 weeks.  I do not have any bumps under or on the palm but the center of my palm itches all the time.  You would think that the doctors would be able to determine what this is.  When it gets really bad I take Benadryl and that seems to calm it down a bit but I do not have any know allergies.  I hope someone finds out soon.
Blank
My center right palm has been ithcing for about 3 weeks and today the center left palm started.  There is no evidence of a rash or bumps.  I haven't changed any habits that I can recall but it is driving me nuts.  I started looking for some clues before I went to the doctor and found this site.  I will be checking back!
Blank
I was feeling desperate tonight, my palm is so itchy I feel like I could scratch the skin off.  I have been getting these small bumps under the skin for about 3 years now, my palm swells, the skin gets tough or leathery but it is the itch that drives me nuts.  I am surprised how many people seem to be getting the same thing.  I DO have allergies and have blamed it on that, sometimes it feels like something is crawling just below the skin.  I've been using a burn spray on it but the only thing that seems to help is cold but it only helps for a little while.  I would be very interested if someone finds an answer.
Blank
It sounds like ezcema (eczema). There are different ideas as to etiology but seems to be brought on by different things. Stress, chemicals. Good way to tell if this is ezcema (eczema) is if it is opened, it will be red inside, but once opened, will soon stop itching and crust over. Only small amt of clear fluid can be expressed but no pus. Be careful as these can become infected if opened. I find that the biggest cause is dry skin. Chemicals can bring this on. Also, cosmetics, maybe you use your right hand to spread some type of lotion or to clean house etc. Try using gloves.
Blank
It could be a form of contact dermatitis. I get it too, especially when I have been using the computer mouse a lot, and only the right palm (I am right-handed), and not the left. Anyone else noticed if it relates to computer mouse use?
Blank
Sounds like there are a few of us out there with this mystery ailment.  I have been experiencing an itchy left palm for about three months. It has become a bit callused because of all the scratching that I've been doing (at least I think that's why).  Kat221 mentioned that s/he thought it might be due to the mouse they are using. I got a new mouse about 4 months ago and it has a different fit in my hand. (I'm left handed and use a left handed mouse and that's  where all the itching is). Hope someone comes along with an answer.  In the meantime, I scratch until it hurts.
Blank
I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue about 10 yrs ago after a blood test to resolve my chronic anemia.  Because I have never been religious about not eating foods made with gluten or containing wheat products I have now developed Dermatitis Herpetiformis on my elbows.  Since the outbreak I have had itchy palms and occasionally itchy ankles and feet, but my only outbreak of DH is on my elbows.  Celiac Sprue or an allergy to wheat can be very silent and difficult to diagnose without the proper blood tests or biopsy of the small intestine.  I'm hoping that following a gluten free diet will resolve my DH and itchy hands and feet, not to mention my chronic anemia.  
Blank
I have had itching palms for years now. It comes and goes. The itching at times is unbearable. I find myself rubbing my palms on sharp metal objects or on desk corners to relieve the itching. There are no bumps, lumps or redness. Skin is slightly dry, but it is from all the scratching. Skin is normal when itching first begins. I also get an itching sensation in my right nipple, this too has come and gone for several years.  I have asked doctors and have been simply told "I have no idea". I personally feel this is a hormonal problem, but I am obviously no doctor. I wish someone could help figure out the cause of this annoying problem!
Blank

Hi

Does the itchiness persist? Are they present 100% of the time?

If not, what triggers the itchiness?

One differential may be xerotic or irritant dermatitis. Xerotic dermatitis may present with itchiness brought about by skin dryness which may be secondary to a skin irritation. Skin irritation in this case may be due to constant exposure with irritants like lotions ,detergents  and certain chemicals. Have you been handling any chemicals or substances lately? Do you have any known allergies?
Blank
Hi Vanessa,
The itching comes and goes. There may be months where there is no itching at all. When the itching is present, it as well comes and goes. For instance this afternoon it was driving me crazy, and as of right now there is no itching at all.
I havent changed any of my lotions and I don't handle any chemicals. I had terrible allergies and asthma as child, but went 2x a week for several years for allergy shots.
In my 20's and 30's I believe am almost allergy free. I live with 2 cats which I could have never have done as a child.
Keep in mind the itching is also present in the right nipple. This often happens when the palm itching begins. I don't see any dryness on the nipple or the palms.
Thank you for your help!
Jen
Blank
I have been having very itchy palms (both) and sometimes even feet for the last several weeks. I can't figure out why. I also have to dig at the itch with a sharp object to temporarily relieve the itch. I wish a doctor or someone who has experienced this and found out why this happens would respond to this post and give us all some idea of what's going on. I was shocked to see how many other people were also having this same issue.
Blank
I have the same exact thing as you...I just went online to see if I could find out what t is...AND I read all these comments..but no real answers ..I hope someone knows..this itching is driving me crazy as well.
Blank
I have had itching of my right palm for about 3 to 4 months now and it comes and goes as all of you have described I have tried various lotions to no avail if anyone figures it out please let me know it gets extremely annoying.
Blank
This may help some of you: look into Lupus, at least to rule it out. It can cause red, itcy palms and feet.Yafit, since you have had autoimmune issues: Lupus is hormonally driven in some people, which could be why your pregnancies affected it. Maybe this will help someone. Good luck!
Blank
I have had his same issue of itchy palms and occasional bumps under the skin on and off for years. I am adopted and met my biological family several years ago and found out all us girls suffer from this at some point . Would you believe that for us, it was directly related to certain times during our menstrual cycle??? Sounds bizarre, but after really tracking it for awhile, we could all relate it to the approximate time we were ovulating! Hormones are such crazy things. It would last a few days and go away. I don't get it every month, but on the months that I had more PMS symptoms, I DID get it. Weird huh?
Blank
firstly reassess the quality of your doctors, ( i hope they didn't have the cheek to ask you for any money ! ) then google 'dupeytron's contracture'.
Blank
it's not necessarily as bad as some of those sites and pictures make it out to be. I've had it for years with nothing more than the bumps and the itching (which can drive you mad); an eighty year old doctor showed me both his palms and told me not to worry about it - he'd had no other problems either. (Although if your bumps are growing aggressively then I guess you need to make decisions).
Blank
well just recently my hands and feet would become so itchy i would cry. i have no tiny bumps, i did discover that my sugar levels were extramely high i had diabetes, which affect the never system. i suggest ask the doctor if it could be a possibility with you good luck all and god bless everyone.
Blank
I had an itchy palm, actually the whole inside of my left hand, last night that drove me crazy. The sole of my foot itched at the same time. Nothing was visable, no bumps,washing my hand did no good, I gently kept scratching with a velcro hair roller. One finger had gotten quite swollen on one side, making me think it might have been a sugar ant bite that started it. I`m in Hawaii and they are everywhere right now. It stopped itching suddenly, perhaps the increase of blood circulating from the scratching had something to do with it. I know it is not my mouse, I don`t go to a gym; I share NONE of the possible causes everyone has cited.  Stress is a possibility for me though.
Blank
Hi, Just a thought but it may help to try to eliminate yeast build up in your body, there are also some good detox therapies to try. If you don't find out exactly whats causing it maybe you can still manage it with the therapy. Be careful and research your detox remedies careful, especially if you have allergies. There are a lot of natural ways to rid the body of fungus, yeast and mold. A good site to research is www.****.com . Hope this helps........  

Medicine Lady
Blank
659694_tn?1225002053
this itching is keeping me awake! Ive had it for 3 days now as far as I can recall, but I think I remember having it a while back. Too many health problems to keep track of! I don't have the bumps or redness right now though. just itching. and it's starting in my feet again tonight as I type....I recently got my tounge pierced, anyone know of that being a cause for it all? looks like tonight is going to be a fun one.....
Blank
wel.. My gal friend is badly facing the problem of itching on her left palm...
Initially, she had burning sensation on her left palm, but after tat it severely stared itching for her....
I really cant c her like this....
plzzz ppl... I hope u help me out with this....
wil b waitg for ur help....
with regards,
Chet Rockz
Blank
To all itchy palms,

I used to have this problem for several years ago. It started with mild itchness and progress into extreme itchness as time went on until two years ago. The itchness comes and goes. Sometime it gets so itchy that I started to scratch and small watery bliters forms and breaks. Everyone's symptoms are different, but the above was what I experienced. I started to see the naturalpathic doctors about this symptoms and my other symptoms and all of them points to the gluteen intorlant. So you may want to start a diary on your food intake to see any correlation on this itchness breakout. This is just a suggestion. I know that these symptoms all pointed to allegies reaction from internal and external. But please try two weeks diet without wheat gluteen and see if the condition has improved.
Blank
I've been experiencing itchy palms for awhile now...and have been searching for a cause, symptom, disease, etc.  Came across this site.  Also struck by the numbers of people afflicted.  Various causes are possible based on my research (liver failure, Type II diabetes, allergies, hormonal, chemicals, contact dermatitis, etc).  Guess what - when
this happened tonight - it was so bad (at the point of 'taking my skin off')...and I had just put together a "Slim Cart" (vinyl-covered steel rolling cart for my kitchen)...when I thought about latex allergies.  That led me to chemical allergies and vinyl which has phthalates (used to soften plastics)...took an allergy pill and put on hydrocortisone cream in attempts to stop itching.  Since this is the worst it's ever been (which indicates I've been building up worse reactions to contact with this 'allergen' and means it will get worse - actually developed hives on my skin and it started to wrap around my thumbs to the sides of my hands and up my wrists - was using a stiff brush to itch after trying the desk corner and my finger nails - kids found the dog brush in their efforts to assist - thank you thank you thank you!).  Well, to get down to brass tacks, the nickel in the metal causes allergies (somebody got their tongue pierced - was it nickel?  May be similar to skin irritations/breakout by girls that can only wear stainless steel or 14K+gold jewelry/earrings); vinyl or latex or rubber causes allergies; so why the heck not our computer mice?  In fact, in order to search tonight on the web, i've had to cover my mouse with a kleenex so that i could keep searching!  The itching was starting back up...and right now - doing all this typing - the ends of my fingers are hurting (note - i do have peripheral neuropathy BUT it has been in the ends of my fingers and feet from diabetes and other spinal nerve damage - this itching, burning, take the skin off intensity is developing/progressing and not the same, IMHO.  ALSO - when i had laparascopic surgeries they used the skin glue - which also caused INTENSE
long-lasting itching at the sites.  So my friends - we are all victims of technology and use of the wonderful man-made chemicals - no wonder.  We, smart as we are, weren't smart enough to figure out that we shouldn't have messed with mother nature to start with.  Oh, well.  I hope my insights about vinyl allergic reactions tonight help you and wakes up the industry.  As for me - now i've got to consciously start avoiding touching anything plastic.  And that includes heating things up in the microwave.  Watch out for plasticizers in just about all our daily lives to include
the dashboards of our cars (talk about in your face fumes as you drive...).  P.S. Also diagnosed last year as allergic to everything (horses, feathers, dust mites, dogs, cats, you  name it, i am). :(
Blank
Hi All, i have had what you are describing for a few years now and have been told so many things by many doctors & last night when looking on the web finally found something that sounds right! For me it is Dyshidrotic Excema - so might be for you too?.. Google it and see what you think? They say that to treat it by putting Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) to dry up the little blisters, and this clears it up within a week instead of many weeks. Good luck! :)
Blank
I think I see a common denominator with these postings. Are we all female?? I have been suspecting that my itchy palms are from hormones and after reading these postings, that is the only thing that makes sense.  My right palm is the worst and itches intensly for no apparent reason. It can start itching the second I get out of bed. There appears to be small bumps under the skin. Would love to see if anyone knows of any men out there with this problem???
Blank
Hi

In answer to your question, 'is it just women', I have to say no. I am having an awfull time with my itchy palm at the moment and I'm male. I have suffered from severe Eczema since childhood but thought it had cleared up years ago... that is until recently that is when I started getting an itchy right palm with little bumps under the skin.

I have just read the article about Dyshidrosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyshidrosis) as mentioned by the MelC74 and it seems to ring very true. Sadly I see there is no cure as such but hope that I can control it using E45 cream, this helped me in the past when I was not able to use soap. I would really welcome any advice people can offer which may help with the itching, it gets so bad and my wife is constantly telling me to stop stracthing which is easier said than done, but I know she is right!

All the best
Blank
I am a 60 yr. old woman who when younger would have itching on my hands.  I would get little clear bumps and I wanted to scratch my skin off.  It would  come and go but finally left me.  Seven yrs. ago I was woken in the night with itching soles and hands.  It was so bad I got sick from it and vomited.  After the vomiting.  The itching was gone and I went back to bed.  I thought maybe I had food poisoning.  The next morning, I was so sore from the violent vomiting that I could barely move.
I took an Advil for the soreness.  Five minutes after I took the Advil the palms of my hands and soles of my feet started again and I was sick.  I panicked and called 911 as my heart was racing so fast I thought I was going to have a heart attack.  After getting to the hospital, it stopped and they told me I had the flu.  (wrong!!) I did remember thought that I had taken two Advil before I went to bed for a headache.  I connected the two.   Well I never took another Advil and it never happened again until about 5 months ago when I took an Aleve for a sore back.  Again, 5 minutes later the itching started again.  I finally realized that it was the pain medication, specifically an inti-inflamitory medicine.  I rushed to the medicine cabinet and took two Benadryll and within 10 minutes my heart stopped racing and the itching stopped.  I stay away from any anti-inflamtory medicine.  I still occasionally get some itching now and then on my hands and soles of my feet, but it last only a short while and goes away.  I have come to the conclusion that it is a type of allergy I have to certain things, especially Aleve, Advil or any other anti-inflamatory.  I don't remember ever having a steroid for anything, but I am probably alergic (allergic) to that also.  I make sure I let my doctors know. I don't know if this is familar to anyone but that is my story.  Oh, and I only take tylenol for pain now.
Blank
One or two emailers asked if this itchy palm condition could be related to excessive computer mouse use.

I have a very itchy left palm, and I am aconstant user of the computer mouse.  However, I do not have this itch in my right palm, so I doubt if using the computer relates to this problem.

***@****
Blank
My itchy palm, no bump or blister, progressed to pain and tingling, especially at night. An orthopaeduc sugeon confirmed my primary physicians diagnosis of carpal tunnel. He explained the signals from the nerves become confused and sometimes feel like something crawling or extreme itching. A cortisone shot has provided relief which he indicates will be temporary. The median nerve needs to be relieved surgically according to his recommendation. It all sounds reasonable except now the sole of my foot itches, always at bedtime.
Blank
I am another person suffering from chronic itchy hands and feet. There are small blisters under my skin that itch like crazy until they pop and leave me with peeling skin. The previous poster who mentioned "Dyshidrotic Excema" may be right, at least in my case. I googled it and when I read that it was affected by humidity and hot weather, I said "yowsa!"  the first time I dealt with this problem, I had just moved to Florida in August!!! It was unbearable until around October. I have noticed that it comes back every year with Spring and Summer, some years worse than others. Benadryl helps, but makes me woozy! Other than that, nothing helps the itch. The dry skin was impossible to manage until I tried Badger Cream, which is a type of bag balm. So although I do not have any more answers than the rest of you, I know reading these posts has helped me, so I thought I would contribute and put my vote in for: Dyshidrotic Excema at least for me.
Good Luck to all of you!
Blank
I have been cursed with the itchy hand syndrome for about 14 years... sometimes I go forever without it, but it always comes back.  The first time I had it I scratched so much that i got an open sore on the palm of my hand.  The itching is like it is something inside my hand that I can't get to, but it feels so good to scratch it.  I love using the salt/sugar scrubs.  I have one from bath and body and it just feels so good to use it.  It never lasts long, but leaves my skin so soft.  Sometimes it affects my fingers too, but the worst is the palm. I am interested in the thoughts that it could be ibuprophen related.  I have started taking it every day for osteoarthritis.  This last flare up has gone on for awhile... maybe since I started the Advil.  I will try to go off of it.  I also have numbness at night along with pain in my hands.  Not sure if it is related, but that is what I have.  My sisters have the itchy hand thing too... wonder if it is genetic.....my uncle also has it.   For some reason, I feel better since I read all of these threads and I know I am not the only one....Misery loves company!  
Blank
as it turns out most of us on this forum are suffers of  OAS
oral allergy syndrome

http://www.fitsugar.com/3009947
Blank
Hi,  I started to have itchy palms two days ago.  Sometimes, the itch travels up to my arms and to my upper body.  No skin change, except the palms are kind of red and feel thick and tough from scratching.  The itch seems to come from underneath the skin.  The only new things that's happend to me lately are 1) eating mangos, and 2) got a new wool carpet for the dinning room.  My husband told me to stop eating the mangos and see if anything changes.  I doubt that it could be the wool carpet because I'm not allergic to my wool sweaters, so I really don't know what's happening.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  
Blank
Misery may love company, but does this thread actually offer any explanation, or just the ongoing communion of the suffering?  I have thought about warts or athlete's foot.  This seems to be one of those ailments doctors prefer to say is "all in the head" because there are many possible causes for the symptoms...
Blank
For myself an IT professional and heavy computer user if you don't have any bumps or blistering and just an itchy palm I'm going to lean toward Carpal Tunnel.  I'm experiencing the irriatating itchy palm this week and have been logging a lot of overtime and online time at home.  I can sense a bit of soreness in the wrist and forearm as well.  I would say give the computing a break if you can, try a wrist brace, get a new chair, mousepad or do whatever it takes to improve your positioning with the keyboard and mouse and see if that helps.  

I know for myself it normally goes away as soon as I lighten up on the computer use.

Check the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel and see if anything strikes home for you.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm#115113049

Blank
Suggested you try Zinnat 250mg 3 tmes daily after meals. You may check the details in Google.
Blank
my girl has had itching palms off and on. so bad she would use keys, kitchen knife, corner of a cabinet it was driving her crazy.sometime would last weeks..no one had a strate out answer..one day she had it start up again .. and backtracked the day,, it was hand sanitizer.. she works at a newspaper and handleing everything she would clean her hands with sanitizer...since she stopped useing it ..it has finnally stopped ..hope this helps you...john
Blank
try not useing any HAND SANITIZERS.... hers cleared up in a day..and hasnt returned after almost a year of torment..john
Blank
I had it just a couple weeks when I forgot to wear gloves while gardening. I tried soaking my hands in hot water ( enough to resist the heat) and repeat the process once itching starts again. Within 4 soakings, itching was gone.

for best result try soaking it in boiled herbal medicines like guava leaves.
Blank
I have a had a very slight sub-cutaneous bump on the palm of my right hand for years (maybe 3mm in diameter and now very difficult to detect) and one just developed one on my left hand. It was only very slightly raised with no discoloration or change in skin texture except it felt quite obviously like a bump. The second one is quite itchy from time to time and is a little rougher from scratching (This is NOT my computer mouse hand). Yes, the skin doctors are just like the ones Grace Slick sang about in White Rabbit "the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all". No ideas of cause or cure at this point. Seems sort of isolated to be anything related to food or drugs etc.

Blank
I'm a bit relieved that I'm not alone in this. I have same symptoms as several of you: no lesions or rash, just itchy hands and feet --
1)   The itch is localized, palms and/or ankles and soles, and it comes and goes with no regularity
2)   However, several years ago when it first appeared, it was several times a week and I attributed to a specific building I used to work. Doctor prescribed allegra --- as long as I was taking daily allegra I was free of the itch. After I left that job, I could discontinue allegra; but the symptoms have not completely vanished.
3)   No bumps or rash but  I could clearly see my palms become red
4)   In my case it doesn't last long, as I have noticed the last three times,
5)   Use of anti histamine (I used allegra) as soon as the itch comes, was providing relief (my doc didn't have any explanation) within minutes, but on those occassions when I didn't have allegra on me, I observed that it went away in 20 minutes or so.
6)   I have not found any single thing could have triggered it, food, environment, my mood (depression or elation) or time of the day.
7)   Doesn't seem gender specific as I read the suffering is not limited to one gender.
8)   I'm not so sure about age, it definitely started in my case in my late forties; I don't have any known ailment.
9)   As per immediate relief, anti histamine always relieved me of the itch in a matter of minutes.
10)   As per diagnosis, we are not there yet; I don't think it islupus, in my case.
Blank
Like Jenster84, in addition to the itchy left palm I often get an itchy sensation in my right nipple.  It drives me crazy!  I only experience the itchy palm when I am up (as in not lying in bed) and mostly when I am sitting at my desk.  Years ago I experienced a problem with both of my hands itching - to the point that I would make them bleed when I scratched.  That finally went away and didn't have any problems until recently when my left palm started itching.  Actually, the nipple itch came first but it doesn't happen as often as the palm.

Wish someone knew how to relieve this; I have tried using the cortisone creams - even an RX one from my doctor but they don't work.  Benadryl helps a little but it puts me to sleep so I had to get the non-drowsy kind and that didn't work as well.  AAARRGGHH!

Well fellow sufferers, I gotta go scratch so here's hoping someone comes up with an answer!
Blank
I too have been suffering with itchy palms (both) & feet (both). Every night it begins and lasts for a few hours then begins to go away. It began about 3-4 weeks ago in both my feet (the toe area), but now includes top, bottom & ankles. My hands have also grown in the area effected, started in just the palms, but now includes fingers & back of hand.  My husband told to me to search reasons online so here I am. I am shocked at how many of us there are with the same problem.  Last night I noticed that the itching began to effect my ears & hairline on the back of my neck too.  I am as frustrated as you & will try to go on the glutten free diet as someone else mentioned & I'll take a look at some of the other ideas given on this site.  I didn't notice any bumps until last night, but I figured it was caused by all my scratching.  I can't imagine how some of you have dealt with this for years!!  
Blank
I had the mystery itch 4 years ago in my hands and feet, and I made my life hell. If there are any other symptoms besides the itching, definetly look into the combo. Usually it is and allergic issue, unfortunatly for me, I had Hodgkins Lymphoma. My suggestion is to change your diet and the products you use, and remember even if you have used something for years, you can all of a sudden develope an allergic reaction to it.
Blank
I too have itching palms... not feet just palms.  NO visible signs of ANYTHING at all.  It goes off and on.  There's been NO change in ANYTHING (lotions, soaps, detergents..etc).  I don't know what to do or where to even start because I know it's not a rash or dermatitis and so on. Help!
Blank
My right palm has the under the skin bubble patch that itch's a few times a year. A wireless computer mouse seemed to make my hand ache so I went back to a wired mouse. I'm not 100% sure but seems to act up less often.
Blank
I too suffered from very itchy & hot palms & feet. I read a post that suggested vitamin B12 so I began taking it and within a few days the itching stopped. You may want to try a normal dose of this (100 mg).
Blank
Contact dermatitis is from contact with chemicals. So this doesn't fit.
However, Allergic contact dermatitis is not the same thing. It is a delayed reaction from an allergen.
And yes people can be allergic to plastic, And if only on the right hand would likely be the mouse.  If you want to find out, the simply cover your mouse with masking tape, and use a razor to cut the lines where the buttons are. And then write back, on this post on how it worked after a few days. And avoid touching plastic for a few days.

Also, drugs can cause itchy palm.
Blank
1181835_tn?1269947719
the best cure I found for my itchy hands was  putting my hands under a hot hot hot shower...at first the heat really really irritates your itchy hands and you think you are going crazy.. but guess what folks it eventually subsides and it does go away..now how did I figure that out..??  when I first showered with my irritating itchy hands I would scratch my hands worse in the shower under the heat and then put my hands in cold cold water... the cold worked for a while but then the itch would come back... so I decided I am going to just go crazy and leave my hands under a steaming hot hot shower...sometimes I felt I wanted to burn my hands off....but NO.. I survived and my hands relaxed..its been over a week now and my hands are slowly beginning to relax..so folks its starting to work with me...when you go crazy scratching try heating it under a hot hot shower ...you might just find some relief for the first time.  you know when you have had enough of the heat..the itch will subside...so dont just stick your hands in hot water...you stick your hands in  the shower under the heat..it drives you crazy..but it works...well it has for me..
Blank
I have read all your comments and i am frustrated about it, i can't stand it anymore.
i have itchiness only in the mid of my right palm (only this spot in teh middle of the palm (it is been like that for 1 year and a half, below is some description
-  my right palm is a bit dry while my left palm is ok.
- There is no rash, no water bulb nothing Only itchiness
- it get red because of teh scratching
- I sometimes use scissors, cans, knifes to scratch my hand and sometimes i peal the skin off. (when i pealed the dead sskin off i noticed it is a bit thick) i think my skin is getting thicker in the itchiness location. (not too thick though)
- i keep on scratching until it hurts and like a burning sensation
- when i scratch my palm with the scissor etc, i will have this "white powder" (dead skin cells i think)

It is really weird and hard to describe, but i am pretty sure that some of you knows what i mean

In case anyone has teh same problem and is cured please share with me

Thanks  

only from the extreme itching i feel that my skin is more thick now (specially in teh middle)
Blank
After mystery ailments for many years (I'm only 27), I visited a Naturopath and found out that I'm sensitive to a few foods, with wheat being the worst.

I strongly suggest for anyone experiencing the itchy palm, to consult a Naturopath or Homeopath- you have nothing to lose. I believe my itchy palm is related to a slight vitamin B12 defficiency (very common in women and linked to iron difficiencies), as well as my wheat intollerance.

It is itching like mad as I type this message.

Good luck to everyone in their quest. Please seriously consider seeing an alternative health professional- they are just as educated as our MDs and slightly more insightful.
Blank
I am a 54 year old woman and have had itchy right palm problems for YEARS.  I find that it IS compounded when I eat anything with flour (wheat) in it.  Wish I could have my cake and eat it too, but I can't unless I am willing to suffer the consequenses.  Maybe I'll try the B12 and see if it works cuz I miss cookies!!
Blank
Go to a nuerologist, I had this problem for a long time and it was an inflammed nerve in my elbow (golfer's elbow).  Doctor said I was lucky that I went in and got it fixed before I had permanent nerve damage.  It was a brace and elbow pad that I had to wear for 6 weeks until the inflammation went down.  I still have to put on the brace once in awhile when the symptoms return.  The body is amazing how it can have a problem in one place and it shows up in another.
Blank
Not sure, what is causing my itchy right palm, but it is drives me crazy sometimes. I am a 5o year old male who has had this palm issue for 7-8 years. I went to a dermatologist and he said it was a fungus and gave me some clear liquid that I had to brush on the point in my hand. Once the medicine dries, it kills the skin and anything underneath it! This has not worked. Sometimes, I get a pinpoint spot that itches like crazy and I scratch it on the corner of desks, with scissors or any other sharp object; even to the point of sticking the sharp point of a knife down into the small itchy area which seems to releive the itchiness. I have itches rubbed and peeled away the calousse skin over this area. I have used the medicine until it burned away the dermal and epidermal layers of the skin on this quarter size spot on my right hand only. But, the itchiness always comes back. It may not bother me for some time and then when it starts, it's maddening. When I bring my thumb and liitle finger together, sometimes it tingles and may seem numb in the small area as well. Any ideas.
Blank
My palm at the connection of my right index finger has been driving me crazy. No rash or bumps (and I'm sure it's not contact dermatitis) but an itch that comes and goes. After reading these posts, I'm leaning toward possibly carpel tunnel, which I never suspected. Although about 10 years ago I had tingling in my fingers that the Dr thought was an early sign. Fortunately, the problem didn't persist. Now I use the mouse scroll ball a lot so it could be that connection of the nerves. It has happened to other parts of the palm and I have had itchy feet as well in the past year. My daughter has severe food allergies, but I've never had a problem. Maybe I could have a sensitivity and not realize it. I'm going to try taking B-12 also to see if that helps.
Blank
I too suffer from this itch. Mine is only the left palm in the area between forefinger and thumb. It drives me crazy, even waking me in the night. I found hydrocortisone cream stops it, if only for a few hours.  My doctor shrugs his shoulders and says he doesn't know.  I have the "perceived bumps" under the skin while scratching, no obvious signs of damage at all. I have no relief except for the cream.
Blank
I have been experiencing itchy palms and peeling skin,particularly on my right hand.I have tiny blisters under the skin.I think it looks like contact dermatitas.I know that I have a nickel allergy and this had led me into investigating into what I have been in contact with.The only thing I can think of is my ipod.Does this ring any bells with anyone?May be you have an allergy to a metal in your ipod or mobile phone?Since I have stopped handling my ipod the itching has stopped and my palm looks much better.I have only started doing this today though,so it is early days,I just thought that this could be helpful to someone.
Blank
Hello fellow sufferers!
Just before Easter I developed this super-itchy right palm that almost drove me insane. Eventually, during the night I jammed a convenient metal object into the area which caused a clear fluid to form a crust next morning with much pain. Unfortunately I had unwittingly caused an infection which progressed over all my right hand, wrist and arm and not able to see a GP [due to the holiday] an unsightly rash eventually covered my whole body. I was prescribed a Penicillin antibiotic, twice, as well as various steroidal creams: Betnovate, Fucidin, Dermavate and currently Elocon as the wrist and palm are still causing me grief.
I have been referred to a Dermatologist but not if this is appropriate.
Blank
Have you ever heard the old folk lores? Itchy palms mean money is comming to you! Go get a powerball ticket!
Blank
Since there are so many causes try each on tf these for a weeka nd see if it helps, if not move on to the next... well since you've come this far you've probably already tried to figure out a contact cause and eliminate it, right?
1. Cortizone or Benedryl Cream
2. Peroxide or Witch Hazel
3. Vitamin B-Complex
4. De-stress and drink a few cups of Green Tea each day
5. See your doctor about: kidney, endocrine, gastro, thyroid and blood disorders.
Blank
Have you noticed most posts have to do with the right hand?  I’m right handed, but use my left hand to guide the mouse on my computer.  My left palm is itchy and red in the areas that make contact with the plastic casing….  Bath time Mr. Mouse & perhaps I’ll replace the mouse pad as well.
Blank
WOW!
LOL- My left hand has been sparadically suddenly started to itch intensely recently over the past 4 weeks.

Seemingly out of the blue I'll get an intense itch in one spot on my either foot.  An intensity where the sensation of itchiness feels HURTS.
Sometimes I feel heat as well.

My google keyword search was exactly : "palm of hand suddenly  really itchy why"
And the results yield this site. Not of high ranking, but of the web content synopsis , it contained my exact keywords, more often and in its exact order with greater accuracy than other sites.

Basically, I read all previous postings from 2009 til now.
It made me ITCHIER!!!

I wonder...if you all posted comments about how you dont itch - if  we read them, it would it make the itching stop?

...Now I know that alot of us have itchy hands...both reassuring, alarming and icky in a way.

Help us!

Maybe we should ask Oprah?
Blank
It is fantastic to finally find SOMETHING even vaguly familiar to what I have been suffering with for over 2 years now. I dont think it is taken too seriously but I am going mad.

I have a PERMANENT itchy foot - a round area approx 5 cent piece size that is always itchy, no evidence of anything there - it looks no different to the rest of my foot, but I could scratch it all the time if possible. It is always there but sometimes worse than other times. It is definately not athelets foot or fungus of any type.

I am definately going to try gluton free products and possibly benadryll and stop using iboprofen which I admit I tend to use when ill.

Please please please anyone with similar foot itch please let me know if you use anything that seems to help resolve or temporarily resolve the itch.
Blank
I might have found an explanation for some of you!

My wrists and palms have been itching for about a week and I found this site, then started searching around.  One person on here said they had Hodgkin's Disease, which I looked up on Wikipedia, which said it can cause skin itching due to 'Eosinophil' blood cells, so I looked THAT up and it said these cells can also be present when fighting a viral infection and are also associated with the mentstrual cycle too, as well as mammary development!  This seems to corellate with a lot of your complaints??  I have a chronic viral infection so it might be just about the right explanation for me.

Here's the wikipedia site!      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eosinophils  

Good luck to all!
Blank
Itchy palms is commonly caused by a rubber/latex allergy. Bicycle handle grips/rubber garden hoses/latex gloves/et cetera
Blank
I am 46 and have hot flashes as well as some emotional symptoms. In the evening hours my hands and feet begin to itch. This has been happening for approximately 3 weeks now. Having done quite a bit of research on the internet, I have also noticed that I  have hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating) at these times. Including under my breasts. I've also read where it is possible this is from peri-menopause. in this period your hormonal level is drastically changing and it is nothing strange that you are experiencing all these changes.  Possibly the stress in my life has added to these symptoms as well.
I was lying in bed last evening to awaken to the itching, noticing that my feet were sweating, I put them outside of the covers....the symptoms subsided soon. Once again in the early hours of this morning, I awoke to the same problem which was resolved by getting up and walking around a bit. I think the cool air helped to get rid of the sweat which seems to be causing the itching (at least at night) I don't seem to be affected much during the day.
I hope this helped a little.
Blank
Thank you all for your posts!
It is after 4am Hawaii time and I have been up for over an hour reading and researching what we all may be suffering from.  Someone had posted "Dyshidrotic Excema."  Please google it and review the pictures that they have available of people that have this type of excema.  I believe that I have finally found my diagnosis and from what I am reading, I believe that most of you suffer from the same thing.
I've just recently been prescribed the steroid ointment that they say may help, but have not used it enough to know if it will work.  I put it on tonight before bed because my hands were itching and here I am on the computer, unable to sleep because I was going insane scratching!!!
I feel everyones pain!  I have been so miserable since the onset of this and I am relieved to know that I am not alone in this madness.  I actually was getting depressed because I just had no idea what was going on.  Going to the doctor just frustrated me even more when he just calmly said, "Oh....sweaty palms and stress could be causing it."  If they only knew what it is like to scratch until your hands are so raw they hurt and you breakdown crying!
I will let you know how the steroid ointment works.  Honestly, it seems like there really isn't anything to cure it.
Take care everyone!  Just know that you are not alone.
Blank
My symptom of an itchy left palm usually starts with a tickle of an itch and when I give it a scratch, it just escalates more and more until I am power scratching it with a very stiff bristle hair brush. This can last for more than an hour but fortunately, only happens occasionally...once a month or less. Sometimes I can go months without it happening. I am 53 and I remember having this happen to me since a young age...maybe as early as 12? Never could figure out a correlation. Strange thing is that it is ONLY my left hand palm but the itch does move around as I scratch, to the fingers then back to the wrist area before always returning to the general palm area. I noticed that no one mentioned scratching with a very stiff-bristled hair brush and for those of you using a knife or the corner of a table top, this is much safer and a more satifying scratching device. I've tried ice...cold seems to help sometime. I've even tried not to scratch when I notice that initial tickle feeling and with enough will power I sometimes don't get the full blown itch starting.
As for cures, it could be anxiety related and although I doubt it's related, I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 24. Well, until we discover a cure, good luck with the brush for a scratching device.
Blank
I have itchy palms and both my palms have dry skin, the doctors give me creams and tell me to use them for 2-3 weeks, but nothing works.
I have figured out that when I take a shower at night is when it starts. I take a quick shower they are fine, a long shower and they start itching as I am drying off, then it gets worse and worse to where I am using a pair of scissors to scratch them and I just want to scream. They feel better after about 30-45 minutes as long as I stay away from water.
Anyone figure out a cure yet??
Blank
If you experience anything like itchy plams, try to put your mind together, there is a money coming your way.. palms itch when they're expecting money.. thats our believe and its true. try it.
Blank
itching palm and feet? please help.   I tried everyting from benadryl. allegra, xyzal  and my Dr. gave me methylprednisolone.  I took all, but the symtom doesnt goes away.  Does anyone know in here knows what happens to me and how do i cured this.  HELP HELP

***@****
Blank
Well I know alot of these posts are old, so I'm hoping alot of you are no longer suffering from this but both of my palms have been extremly itchy and burning without any type of visual skin problem, no bumps, hives or blisters. But maximum strength lanacne anti-bacterial first aid spray really helps relieve the symptoms for me. I'm a nurse and esthetcian I'm also going to start a systemic body cleanse and take some prenatal vitamins incase its a vitamin deficency because the prenatals have an extra dose of just about everything and see if those work to get to the root of the problem. Best of luck to all.
Blank
For seven years I asked my doctor for help with the following symptoms:  (1) extreme pain in my left shoulder; (2) pain and discomfort just below my ribcage on the left side; (3) bright red itching palms (itching so intense it felt like my hands were on fire); (4) intense itching on my shins; (5) awful diarrhea; and (6) tired all the time.  The doctor looked at my heart, but didn't seem to know what to do about all these seemingly unrelated symptoms.  He finally thought to perform a thyroid test and found that I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's thyroiditis).  The medication seemed to help the itchy shins some, but nothing else.  I continued to complain about the symptoms.  The pain in my left shoulder had gotten so bad that I was taking two Tylenol five times a day just to get through the day.  The last time I saw that doctor, he told me my shoulder problem was my rotator cuff, and he handed me a sheet of exercises I couldn't do and sent me on my way.  A couple weeks later, I went to a Sports Medicine Clinic.  The doctor there diagnosed my shoulder as a badly frozen shoulder in 20 minutes.  Physical therapy to break the shoulder loose was brutal.  My other symptoms went on for several more years with doctors shrugging them off.  My husband thought I was a hypochondriac.  I got the feeling the doctors thought I was a hypochondriac too.  I finally found a doctor who was willing to listen to me and take me seriously.  He asked if I had ever been tested for food allergies.  I said no.  He said there was a lab in the area that sold a kit for testing for multiple food allergies from a single blood draw.  He said it wasn't covered by insurance and asked if I wanted to pay for it myself anyway.  I said I absolutely wanted to know if I had any food allergies, so it was worth it to me to pay for it out of pocket (under $200).  The results astonished both the doctor and me.  I am allergic to GLUTEN, ALL DAIRY, EGG YOLKS & WHITES, a couple kinds of NUTS and a few other things, but those are the biggies.  I tried excluding all of the above foods from my diet for awhile, and all of my symptoms except being tired all the time went away.  Since then, I stay away from eggs most of the time, and I only eat a tiny bit of dairy because it's hard to avoid completely.  The last time I tried to drink a milkshake, I became bloated, gassy and had abdominal pain.  GLUTEN, though, seems to be the major culprit with me, with BREAD being the worst thing I could possibly eat.  GLUTEN accounts for the pain under my left ribcage, the itchy shins and palms, and the diarrhea.  Please, please, please try cutting bread and all things GLUTEN out of your diet for a week or so and see if that helps.  It costs nothing, and it just might be the answer you're looking for.  
Blank
Hi there Kevin here, delighted im not on my own with this, going mad here, had this feckin itch for 3 weeks now, hurts too (red patch size of small coin just under skin) Started with two patches on each palm, but down to one on left hand now. Also have a general itch all over at times but with less intensity. It reminded me of cellulitis i saw on a few cases i treated. A common cause of itch is liver damage from alcohol :) and/or meds overuse as liver metabolizes both, also a common side effect of most common meds taken is itch, am........ also increased uric acid in the body (meat has alot of this).  Suggest liver function test and or anti histamines or cortisone lotion. calimine lotion also if you've got some aloe vera that could do the trick o'natural
Canesten (as in, cream for yeast infections/thrush) works even tho its not for this. You may want to ask a female friend, wife, mother, sister, etc to buy you some Canesten thrush cream and give it a try!
If not BENADRYL Pill form works too. Although same results in drowseness so could try Aveeno Skin Relief if driving. Hmmm one more thing, if preggers (to use technical term) could be cholestasis, which is a liver disorder some pregnant girls get the odd time due to a build up of bile acids in the blood. When you sweat, it irritates the skin. The buildup is the result of stress on the liver coz its now cleaning your body for two. If in labour at the moment and reading this (congrats by the way) if Benadryl doesn't help, call your dr, and ask for a liver function screen. Sometimes if this is bad enough they will induce you early. thats all i can think of at the mo. oh ya i used to do general nursing, best a luck with it. Mine is caused by elevated guinness levels in the blood. Remedy is get barred from pub :)  
Blank
This won't apply to everyone...but I think most of the people with the complaint of itchy palms or soles of feet where there is sometimes no visible bumps etc. It is my feeling that you have developed an allergy to something. This happened to me as well a number of years ago (and still does from time to time but less severe). I was experiencing severe allergies in an old leaky moldy house. I don't know for sure what the trigger was...but I went through everything from avoiding preservatives to dairy...to certain beer...other foods etc. It was so bad I got hives all around my waistline. Another ANNOYING symptom was hives on the bottom of my feet and hand. At first I didn't know I had hives because there was no visible sign... just that my bottom of my feet and palms were very itchy, and in fact the itchiness happened before, during, and slightly after the hives. Once I eliminated a bunch of things from my diet...repaired the roof and did my best to remove mold and dust etc...they eventually went away. I have never been able to define exactly what I am allergic to...mainly because of how allergies work. I think I am mildly allergic to a number of things...and once my body gets it's fill of a combination of triggers...it says "f___ you...I'm gonna make you pay now". That's when all these symptoms occur. Eliminate triggers...and you will probably start to feel better. I have battled with allergies for years...including mild allergies (confirmed by allergist) to bees and peanuts...and it's not easy. I have had shots...the whole works...so much of this is from my experience and discussions with doctors and allergists. I hope this helps someone out there.
Blank
I too have had problems over the years with itchy, blistery palms.  I have seen all kinds of specialists, but nobody could give me a definitive answer.  Then, at work today, a coworker noticed my hands.  She has had the same problem.  As one poster mentioned above, it's called Dyshidrosis.  Check wikipedia and mayoclinic.com.  Water will aggravate the condition.  My coworker's doctor had her wear gloves when she showered.  I think for most of us we tend to wash our hands more hoping to clear up the condition or prevent spreading it to others, all the while making our problem worse.  
Blank
As has been sad before I'm pretty sure a lot of people with the itch and flesh coloured bumps have this http://www.skinsight.com/teen/dyshidroticDermatitis.htm
Blank
Treatment

There are many treatments available for dyshidrosis, however, few of them have been developed or tested specifically on the condition.
Cut nails as short as possible cleaning under and around them daily with baking soda. Apply a paste of baking soda and water to the affected areas, twice a day for three days. After 5 minutes rinse and carefully pat dry paying special attention to the area in between the fingers or other possible places moisture may remain. If rash spreads to a new area recommence applying to both old and new areas leaving a large border around effected areas. Continue to clean hands daily with baking soda for a week paying special attention to the areas around and under the nails. Avoid itching as this will cause rash to spread.
Topical steroids[3] - while useful, can be dangerous long-term due to the skin-thinning side-effects, which are particularly troublesome in the context of hand dyshidrosis, due to the amount of toxins and bacteria the hands typically come in contact with.
Nutritional deficiencies may be related, so addressing diet and vitamin intake is helpful.
Potassium permanganate dilute solution soaks - also popular, and used to 'dry out' the vesicles,[4] and kill off superficial staphylococcus aureus,[5] but it can also be very painful. Undiluted it may cause significant burning.[6]
Domeboro (OTC) helps alleviate itching in the short term, and can help to quicken the natural healing process. The active ingredient in Domeboro is aluminum acetate, also found in Burow's solution, an OTC antistringent available at most drug stores. Either product is effective in helping to dry out the blisters which leads to faster healing. Affected areas should be soaked in Domeboro or Borow's solution for 20–30 minutes several times a day to be effective.
Emollients during the drying/scaling phase of the condition, to prevent cracking and itching. While petroleum jelly may work well as a barrier cream, it does not absorb into the skin or allow it to breathe, so may actually be less helpful.
Salt soaks - maintaining palms for 40 minutes to an hour immersed in a salt solution of 1/4 salt dissolved in water. Repeating treatment for 3–4 days or additionally if required. It is best to soak only the palm and avoid exposing the top of the hand to the saline solution as salt can severely dry and irritate the skin on the top of the hand.
White vinegar soaks
Avoidance of known triggers - dyshidrosis sufferers may need to abstain from washing their own hair or bodies, or wearing gloves when they do so, however waterproof gloves are often potential irritants.
Zinc oxide ointment
Nickel-free diets
no sugar, no flour and no fruit diet
Alcohol and caffeine free diets
When in the scaling phase of the condition, the scales may cause deep cracks and fissures in the skin. Filing (as with an emery board) may help to minimize this.
Stress management counseling
Light treatment: UVA-1, PUVA, Grenz rays, Low Level Light Therapy using a Red + NIR (LED) combination
Ciclosporin a strong immunosuppressant drug used to combat dyshidrosis caused by ulcerative colitis
Efalizumab (Raptiva) a medication used to treat psoriasis
Clobetasol Propionate (0.05%) (potent corticosteroid cream or ointment ) has been an effective treatment.
Tacrolimus and Pimecrolimus, immunomodulators often used to prevent organ rejection in topical, ointment form, may be used in severe cases.
Betamethasone Dipropionate, and creams that contain it such as Lotrisone (which also contains an antifungal Clotrimazole) has worked in some cases.
Dapsone (diamino-diphenyl sulfone) is an antibacterial sulfonamide. It has been recommended for the treatment of dyshidrosis in some chronic cases.[7]
Unbleached cotton gloves may be used to cover the hands to prevent scratching and vulnerability of the skin to bacteria
Plantain (Plantago major) infused in olive or other oil can be soothing.
Frequent application of a barrier cream can protect against irritants while allowing the skin to breathe.
Avoid metal computer keyboards and track pads which contain nickel.
When affect area is itchy, apply a mixture of hemp oil and vaseline, cover with finger condom. Replace every two hours and leave uncovered for a half-hour between applications.
Ingest 1-4 tablespoons of hemp oil daily. Use straight or mixed with other substances, like a smoothie.
Many sufferers of dyshidrosis will find that treatments that were previously suitable for them no longer work or have induced sensitive reactions, which is common in most types of eczema.
It may be prudent to wear light cotton gloves while reading newspapers, books and magazines. The inks and paper may irritate the condition.
Wash affected hands and feet with cool water and apply a moisturizer as soon as possible. While hot water seems to kill the itch it may aggravate the condition.
Avoid moisturizers that contain water (cremes and lotions). Stick with ointments. Use only thin applications of ointments as excessive amounts of ointment may restrict breathing of the skin and aggravate the condition.
Aloe Vera may be applied after cleaning hands
When itchy or inflamed 100% lavender oil can be applied occasionally to soothe and reduce irritation for those who are not sensitive to the oil making sure to pat excess oil with a tissue. A patch test on the wrist is recommended before application to the palms.
Saline solution for washing hands may be very useful.
Avoid soaps with Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS). Many pump style soaps and common shampoos contain SLS.
'Toctino' alitretinoin 9-cis-retinoic acid has been approved for prescription in the UK. (08/09/2008) This is specifically for chronic hand eczema. It is made by Basilea of Switzerland (BAL 4079)
Rinsing the affected areas briefly in surgical spirit is very effective. It will work to clear up the blisters within hours if they have been pricked open first.
Blank
1580569_tn?1296446958
I have had an itchy palm on my right hand for many years. I have a couple of spots, not blisters, on my hand. The spots are skin color, and can be removed, but it comes back. The spots do not itch, but it itches near the spots. The spots are very small, about the size of the end of a writing pen. I do have one of these spots on one of my fingers, but it does not itch. I have not yet found out what this may be. Can anyone help with this?
Blank
Amazing...with all of us   a university or someone must want to find out what this is..
maybe we need to co late some info about ourselves  and poss triggers..
What do you thing?
Blank
So True!! I also have had this itching and it is horrible at night!! Wow with such a response you would think the cure is assured. I personally feel it is nero- related or autoimmune or possibly related to a storage disease? Its internal so it doesn't seem to be allergy related. I will research gene abnormalities with this type of reaction.....on a philosophical maybe were all chosen for a reason? :)
Blank
Found this!

Though the primary source for the itchy hands and feet is external in these cases, an internal tendency for the skin to be irritated has to be there for the itching and other changes to manifest in such cases.

Endogenous Causes for Itchy Palms and Soles

The internal causes for the itchy palms and soles are more difficult to discern. These include systemic and psychological disturbances at times:

Read on
How to Find the Cause of Itchy Palms and Soles
Pompholyx
Causes of Hand Eczema
Systemic causes for itchy palms and soles. Chronic kidney failure, liver diseases, endocrine disturbances like hyper or hypothyroidism, blood disorders including polycythemia vera, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, leukemias, multiple myeloma and cutaneous mastocystosis cause generalized itching; which can, at times, start as itching of the palms and soles. Itching of the palms and soles and elsewhere on the body may be a presenting symptom of HIV infection and Crohn’s disease. Atopic dermatitis, senile pruritus and aquagenic pruritus can present with itchy palms and soles, in addition to generalized itching all over the body.
Idiopathic causes for itchy palms and soles. Many a time, itching of the palms and soles appear without any apparent causes. These are called idiopathic itchy palms and soles.
Psychogenic causes for itchy palms and soles. Stress and anxiety can induce, aggravate and maintain persistent itchy palms and soles, in the absence of any skin rashes.
Vitamin Deficiency. Vitamin deficiency, especially that of Vitamin B12, B1 and B6 can cause burning and itching sensations of the hands and feet.
Dyshidrotic. Palmoplantar hyperhidrosis, the increased sweating of the palms and soles, can cause eczematous itchy dermatitis on the palms and soles.
The above discussion brings out a salient point: look beyond the skin if the cause of the itchy palms and soles are not readily apparent.

Other Skin Conditions Causing Itchy Palms and Soles
Other major skin conditions that cause itchy palms and soles are:

Palmoplantar psoriasis: Thick hyperkeratotic scaly plaques with painful fissuring and varying grades of itching can occur in psoriasis affecting the palms and soles.
Ring worm of the hands and feet: Itchy rounded scaly skin patches involving both the palms and soles and also the back of the hands and feet occur in ring worm infestation of the hands and feet. Sometimes the scales are delicate and at other times thick and hyperkeratotic.
Scabies. Itching of the hands, especially on the finger webs, may be the presenting symptom of scabies. The typical nocturnal itching may be present even before any tell tale bumps and burrows of the mites appear on the skin.
Lichen planus, can cause severe itchy palms and soles, along with violaceous or pigmented skin rashes.
Candidal intertrigo: Commonly seen in housewives and hair dressers, candidal infection of the finger web spaces and toe web spaces in house cleaners and agricultural workers can cause itchy or burning palms and soles.
Itchy Palms and Soles without Skin Changes
Sometimes both the doctor and patient are perplexed when itchy palms and soles present without any noticeable skin changes. The skin of palms and soles being thick, most of the time itching precedes appearance of skin changes by hours to days in contact dermatitis, pompholyx , scabies etc. In psychogenic itchy palms and soles, the skin changes may never appear. In systemic causes, including drug allergies, there may only be a mild redness of the skin, while the itching may be unbearable on the palms and soles. Generalized itching without skin rash may also be present in such cases.

Finding the exact cause of itchy palms and soles will help in planning effective management strategies for this intriguing skin problem.

Related Reading
How to Find the Cause of Itchy Palms and Soles
Treatment of Itchy Palms and Soles
Reference
Pruritus & Contact Dermatitis, in Rook’s Textbook of Dermatology, 7th Edition, 2004
Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology, Fifth Ed, 2005
Disclaimer
The information given in this article is for educational purpose only so that patients are aware of the options available. No diagnosis should be made or treatment undertaken without first consulting your doctor. If you do so, the author or suite101 will not be responsible for any consequences. The images provided are for illustration purpose only.

Read more at Suite101: Causes of Itchy Palms and Soles: Palmoplantar Pruritus http://www.suite101.com/content/causes-of-itchy-palms-and-soles-a100835#ixzz1Fc4CTeQr
Blank
Hey!  Great comments, but some treatments suggested deal with causes that are WAY too exotic.  Simpler first, before you start thinking of odd syndromes.

I have this...right hand, red, itchy, cracked due to scratching, dead skin at scratches, palm.  Got it, understand.

The only thing I have had that helps is in three parts, since this is likely a fungal infection with secondary bacterial infection die to scratching.  Here is what you do...

1)  Get rid of the fungus

Use Tinactin.  There area number of anti-fungal sprays, this may work for you, but all have different active ingredients.  Undecylenic acid is in Foot and nail, a liquid fungus medicine...old school med, but safe and might work.  I  use it as well.  Try some out-Tinactin first.

2)  Promote healing

After Tinactin, apply GOOD moisturizer-no alcohol in the cream.  I use Eucerin, and also coco butter.  Keeps your hands from drying out.

3)  Protect

Apply a triple-antibiotic cream over the moisturizer.  Neosporin, or the like.  Heals up the random scratches and being petroleum based, coats the entire area, holding moisture in.

I am looking into an anti-fungal pill, as this might help knock out these flare ups more quickly.

Also-SPRAY TINACTIN ON YOUR MOUSE.  You are right handed, that is where it is coming from.  This is not happening because the "medicine Gods" hate your right hand and love your left.  Trust me.

Hope this helps-don't freak, this is not "hepatitis-induced eczema with tropical fungal overtones," or anything really odd.  This will heal...this method also stops the itching, by the way.

Best--
Blank
I have had the itchys and it was ANAPROX AND ADVIL DROVE ME NUTS HAD TO HAVE SHOTS OF BENADRILL
Blank
Thanks to all of you. I woke up with the itchy spot on my left palm again this morning and the itchy facial rash and was searching the web for answers.

A few months ago I had a septic tank problem and the tank backed up into my bathtub and all over the bathroom (gross!)....and my landlord kept asking me to provide towels to help her clean up the bathroom and I gave her every towel I had. And as I couldn't afford to buy new ones, I washed the towels each about five or six times and decided to use them again.
This was my mistake. I believe these tanks have all kinds of horrible chemicals including sulfuric acid. And so I suffered through about three or four bouts of the itchy spot on the left palm and what felt like  a chemical burn on my face adn upper body leaving kind of a greasy film too. I am not sure why it took me this long to figure out it was the towels and apparently the chemicals that were still on the towels that was causing this. Or so I thought.
I threw every single towel away. Bought new towels.
And then last night noticed the same red itchy palm and the same burning red face and neck and extreme itching. But it couldn't have been the towels this time. So, the only thing I could trace it to was a lotion by Dr Perricone, an activating creme, that I had put all over my face and squirted into my left hand and rubbed the remaining amt into the left hand in exactly the spot.
Now,  I had used this same cream for months before the incident with the towels and had no allergies to it. Why i should suddenly have an allergic reaction to it I don't know.

And then you mentioned nickel and I wondered, would there be nickel in a skin cream? Makeup? And maybe in the septic tank too?
Something triggered this reaction again and it must have something to do with the cream.

Also though, as you were talking I am thinking that I am alto gluten intolerant and also try to be careful but occasionally slip up and eat gluten. I had mexican food last night and sometimes there is a little bit of wheat in the corn tortillas, the sauce, etc. So I won't discount this either.

On a somewhat different note.... I have had a chronic fungal (or so the doctor thought but she was not sure....it was not bacterial)...infection on my back for a number of years. She thought it was caused by the same fungus that causes dandruff but I am not sure this is the case.
I have wondered from time to time about the hepeteformis skin rash that can be caused by celiac disease since I am gluten-intolerant. Maybe I should be a lot more careful about the gluten-free diet.

Leslie
Blank
I noticed my palm started itchy about last weekish & I had little dots in the center of my left palm. It started out pretty itchy & so my dad gave me cortison. I've been trying it for a week and it hasn't helped at all, in fact, there are now tiny bumps all over my hand, some on my finger tips, & the same thing is starting to happen on my other palm. They itch EXTREMELY bad, & it feels like my palm is literally on fire.  On my left palm, its kind of like, red splotchy spots. Not like super bad gross, but its there. I have no idea what it is, does anyone have an idea? ): please help! There getting worse.
Blank
About two years ago I developed itching on my palms.  For the longest time I could not use my hands since it would make them itch even worse.  They would crack and hurt even though I used skin lotion to try and keep them hydrated.  This went on until this March when I started taking an Amino Acid supplement.  My hands have progressively gotten better, I use skin cream maybe one or twice a day and the itching has all but stopped.  Am I cured?, no not yet but at least now I can use my hands again without having them itch so bad I want to cut them off.  My hands have not cracked and no longer hurt.  Not sure if it was the Amino supplement that did it or not, but nothing else has even come close to making this any better.  Hope this can help someone else who suffers from these itchy palms.
Blank
hi mel,
just wanted to say thanks for the tip because i looked up Dyshidrotic eczema  and i too think this is the culprit for my itchy palms. i just moved to Alabama and the humidity may be the reason why it started up. i once got the bumps in my palm before while i was visiting family in vegas too (which leads me to believe extreme heat does it).  also, i had an emotional fight with my fiance today and that too may have triggered it (stress and hormones). Dyshidrotic eczema also is more common in women than men which also attributes to the higher number of women contributors to this blog.  so, thanks again for helping me get some peace of mind!  
Blank
Hi guys,

I had the same symptom for the last 3 weeks. I got it cured 2 days ago. I am SO glad. Its the Herpes virus, not the STD one (there are 2 types).

Here are the pictures of my palms before and after

http://the-real-titou.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-was-diagnosed-with-herpes-zoster.html

The allergist gave me Acyclovir and Prednisone. The bumps and rash are gone after ONE day.

I went to the family doctor first and he gave me some kind of ointment but it didn't work. He told me it was regular allergy. I should've gone to the allergist right away.

SO, IF YOU HAVE THIS SYMPTOM, PLEASE GO DIRECTLY TO YOUR ALLERGIST OR DERMATOLOGIST, SKIP YOUR FAMILY DOCTOR.

Blank
My intense itching is in my left hand.  I'm right handed - so my mouse has nothing to do with any kind of "mouse contamination.  Large quantity of Jack Daniels intake solves the problem within an hour.
Blank
Hi Everyone.  I'm 38 years old and have had this dry crackly itchy palm for over a year now.   It started with little blisters under the skin on one palm then the other.  The BlISTERS were very ITCHY, after awhile the blisters popped or dried out into CRACKLY skin.  

I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with POMPHYLX ECZEMA.  Doc told me theres no cure and to moisturise as much as possible. Doc gave me Hydro Cortisone and Antihystamine to stop itching,  and Aqueas cream to moisturise.  After using the above religiously the cracks and dry skin was 90% better....

HOWEVER each time I got close to healing completely the blisters would start again.  It is just a mad fustrating cycle.  It has now moved to the whole length of my fore fingers. Sometimes people ask if I had burnt my hand or something?

I remember as a teenager I had these same itchy blisters under the skin of my palm a couple of times but it went away without any problems so I'm wondering whether it has always been in my system dormant until  triggered recently.  

Anyone with any ideas on how I can get rid of this once and for all please?
Blank
Have any of you ever had frost bite of any degree to your hands? If so please let me know so I can compile a number of us who suffer from this with that as a possible factor.
Blank
Hi, It amazing so many people have got the same problem.  I don't know what caused it, but my hand started itching like crazy.  I am a software architect so I use many "mouse" a day, I am diabetic Type 2, and I had Haleem, some crazy hyderabadi stuff, which is the only odd thing I did other than unprotected sex, if that counts, with my wife :).  So just confused which caused what !
Blank
I have had itchy left palm for about a year now. It feels like dry skin in only one spot in the middle of my left palm.  There are no bumps at all and I am right handed.  The itching causes me to itch to relieve it but opens up the skin. I use a lot of lotions which do help but the problem will not go away.  I am a female and 47 years old, never suffered from allergies in the past.
Blank
About 3 years ago, I moved from Florida to Tennessee. I have been an allery sufferer all my life. I had surgeries, shots, etc. and was getting by eventually on just OTC when I needed it. About 6 months after I settled in, I developed an itchy rash at the base of my neck/hairline area within a week after getting a flu shot. I assumed there was something in it that I was probably allergic to (I was informed it was a double dose given that year) and decided I wouldn't do that again but had never had a problem getting it before that one. This itch progressed to the palms of both hands, my eyebrows and eyelids, elbows and private areas. I went to a dermatologist and allergist, same allergies I always had came up. I was on many rounds of steroids and only left with weight gain of 20 lbs. and no cure. Then I noticed it disappear slightly when the weather changed but it came back. I was hoping it would go away again with the next weather change and my allergy was just to that but now it never goes away. Hot water takes the sting out of my hands but they look horrible and drive me absolutely crazy. I sure wish someone knew what my problem was but doctors are stumped at this point and I don't know whether to be concerned or not as it just itches and all bloodwork is normal. I just live with it but it is embarrasing to say the least to be so itchy and miserable all the time. Signed, 40 something female
Blank
I had this issue... I took benedryl and it helped... Its a hives reaction somehow do to some kind of herpes virus called shingles.... This is a sign of shingles. I finally took some antibiotics called zithromax five day therapy. And no more itching. But I ended up with shingles after. This usually starts I believe under a stressful part of life and not having a good nourished diet be ause of stress... Tell your doctor to treat the itch as if you had an unknown infection in your blood that will stop the itch. Then if you start terminal pain in one particular part of your body. This may be the start of shingles. Look it up. Doctor should prescribe an antivirul medication to help fight shingles. I hope this helps
Blank
I have had this problem ever since the fourth grade. I get two kinds of bumps. One is the under the skin kind that look like little bubbles and i get them on my palm and between my fingers. If opened its all clear fluid. Then I get the red ones under the skin that cover my entire palm and burn/itch. I've noticed that if I wash my hands more often and am more careful with chemicals they don't come up at much. Also noticed that the clear ones got better when I stopped smoking! (Since I only had the red ones since the fourth grade, and the clear ones appeared after I started smoking) so if you smoke it could be caused by that and stress!
Blank
Well I had that too, it was on and off for several years. I thought it was just an allergy so I consumed lots of different allergy pills. It helped a bit about itchiness but didn't really cure red and blistery skin. I also tried some creams, outcome was same. If I didn't had medicine close to me it felt like burning and so itchy that I could easily scratch the skin of my hands. My hands where swollen and red.  My hands where terrible.

I read about this condition from internet and it seemed like it is Dermatitis Herpetiformis,  a gluten intolerance. I started to eat gluten free before I went to doctor. I have beautiful and rash free hands after I have been completely gluten free for 2 to 3 month. It started to improve already after 2 weeks (at the beginning it was quite a long study period to understand how to avoid gluten). I will have Celiac test after 3 weeks so I have to start eating gluten for this time again. And I really feel disgust to eat anything which includes gluten :). But I still have to do that otherwise test won’t show anything :).
Blank
With your physician, explore deficiencies in Vit B, Magnesium and/or Potassium.  All have presented with the symptoms for me.
Blank
Im a 17 years old i have been having itchy palms for like a year ,it comes and goes like every month.It looks like little bumps under my skin and when i try to pop it its a clear liquid.Its not only on my palms i get them in between my fingers.Also about a few weeks ago i started itching real bad around my nipples.It drives me crazy so if any one knows what this is ,i would love to know .
Blank
At a few points in my life i've had bad hives.  I've always taken prednisone for it and it has gone away.  A few months ago, I noticed I had an itchy palm on my left hand (i'm right handed).  This followed by little almost white bumps. Then I noticed them between my fingers.  Well, I broke out into hives all over my body and went on prednisone.  It got rid of the hives. The minute I went off prednisone, my hives exploded and my hands got itchier.  Well, those small bumps turned into giant blisters, all over my palm and in between my fingers on both hands.  It was painful and I was unable to do anything with my hands.  
I have been on prednisone since 9/9 waiting for it all to go away. Each time I taper off it all comes back.  I am going back to the dermatologist after this last round of predinsone.

I noticed it being itchier in the morning and at night. At night, I take 2 benadryl to help me sleep.  I'm praying that we can figure out what is causing this but it doesn't sound hopeful.
Blank
Ok... so, yes.  I have the same thing. Itchy palm...no redness, no real sign of anything.  If I look real close, it sort of looks like a skin colored bump underneath.  My husband has a similar experience with a spot on his arm.  He stopped eating soy and it went away.  I have noticed that when I don't eat wheat for a while, mine goes away too.  I've always suspected that I have a slight allergy or at least reaction to wheat and gluten products.  Perhaps it's a food allergy.  Try eliminating one food at a time... like soy, or wheat/gluten, or dairy (common food allergies). But make sure to check all labels and watch everything that you eat to make sure you're not accidentally ingesting the food you're trying to eliminate.  Give it a few weeks to a month.  See if you notice a difference.  Then try putting it back into your diet and see how you feel... does the itching come back? Then, BINGO... you have your culprit.  If it doesn't work with one food, then try another one.. especially if there is something that you tend to eat a lot of.
Blank
I do not at all pretend to know why this is happening....my palm itchning started just yesterday.  It made if very difficult to sleep and it's been bothering me all day.  I've read each and every comment, and although it could be different reasons, I think many have this condition due to diet.  Something tells me that the posts about yeast may be close.  I also think it has something to due with sugar intake and not drinking enough water.  So, although there are a million drugs you could try, I am going to start there... increase water intake, decrease sugar intake...maybe try to get a script of diflucan for yeast infection...after all it couldn't hurt. I asked my dad who is 75 for one of those home remedies.  He said to hold the palm of your hand under hot water, as hot as you can stand it for 3-5 min.  Then pour 91% rubbing alcohol on it.  I tried it and it was immediately relieved.  It takes away the itching and irritation for a couple of hours at a time.  I've done it 3 times today and have been able to get back to my routine.  Try it and let me know what happens.
Blank
1902521_tn?1321648130
Oddly enough I have one or two sporadic days, every other month or so, where my left palm, dead-center in the middle and the size of a quarter will itch MADLY.  Not just itch.  It's on fire.  No bumps. No readness. Although if you were to feel that area of the palm, it's warmer than the rest.  I've had this af far back as my teens.  It's a pain in the - well, palm.
Blank
OMG There is others. Mine had started 3 days ago,my palms of hands and the middle of my feet are itching me the death. Even my head and neck all over now. I am going to my Doctor tommorrow and see what he can tell me. I cant stand it no longer its so awful digging and digging yourself. I have the little bumps also that itch very bad. My boyfriend said its stress so I will find out tommorrow I hope.I take blood pressure pills and a tyroied pill I hope its not my medicine been taking meds for 3 yrs. Ok I will let all no what Dr. says tommorrow. Good luck to all and dont scatch to much.
Blank
1932536_tn?1323309695
My story is very much the same as Gwendolynmommy above.  I have been suffering for about 2 years now and there is no physical blisters or dots except for redness once I start scratching.  It usually happens in the evening after dinner when I should be relaxed.  Mostly it's my left hand that itches, but not always.  It can be just the palm or sometimes it can be only one or two fingers.  I do have days when I can wake up with it in the morning, but not too many.  I'm inclined to think it's stress related and only since I've hit Menopause (I'm 54).  I get a little bit of relief with DermaVeen, but distracting oneself is the best way to stop ... or just go to bed and sleep it off.  Normally I don't have it until the next evening.  I have also used ice to help it.  Between the DermaVeen and the ice, I am coping, but it would be great to put a name and a cure to this maddening itch.  I think I will try the Vitamin B now to see if that helps more.  I suppose there's always Vodka.  lol   Good luck everyone.
Blank
i have the same problem i have been eating my fingers for a long time and got big itchy palm on my finger prints so someone please help to how to get rid of this????? PLEASE HELP!
Blank
Hi all,

Male, 22, England UK.
I keep getting an itchy palm, unbeliveable, I've scratched so hard at some points, the friction created blisters!
I went to the Doctor last month and he said it's exma (eczema) (I'm not good a spelling) and gave me a steroid cream. It started with dry itchy elbows with little bumps (both elbows) now my right palm is domminant, with 2 raised red bumps. Some times little red spots on my fingers but they come and go.
I had stomach pains quite intensly last year and they never found out the casue, they concluded I had pulled a rib muscle, but I have just eaten a chocolate bar and sat at my computer (laptop=no mouse) to do some work and I had to google this, I beleive it is some sort of allergic reaction. It also happened the other night after my steak and mushroom pie.

I'm going to keep a diary of the food. I know that we all probably have different things but it's worth reading all your condictions. As for the mouse, I think it's probably the friction from using the mouse that makes it itch rather than the plastic, my elbows itch when I wear jumpers, I think becasue of the rubbing.
I might go back to the Doctor and see what he thinks.
Blank
I have a very itchy left palm. The itch consists in the exact same spot ever since I started working with a third co-worker, in the optometry industry. Some days I have a mild itch, other days I have extreme itches but nothing sever enough to cause blisters or breakage of the skin. My skin is very sensitive and I am only able to use hypoallergenic products. Could my skin be reacting with the different materials I handle when adjusting frames? I don't have problems with rashes on my face trying on different products. The itch doesn't just happen when I'm at work either but it does occur more often often then when I am at home.
Blank
it might be Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), or Duhring's disease. it will cause small blisters were there is a fold in skin.
Blank
EVERYONE: LOOK UP CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME, i had the exact same symptoms as most of you described, my GP referred me to an orthopedist suspecting I had carpal tunnel syndrome and I did. Treatment seems to be working fine. I know the first instinct is to think it may be dermatological but I am 100% convinced most of you here have it, it's something like a pinched nerve due to some long-term activity such as frequent typing. PLEASE, PLEASE ask you doctors if this may b your case. Happy hand itch- free nights to everyone!
Blank
EVERYONE: LOOK UP CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME, i had the exact same symptoms as most of you described, my GP referred me to an orthopedist suspecting I had carpal tunnel syndrome and I did. Treatment seems to be working fine. I know the first instinct is to think it may be dermatological but I am 100% convinced most of you here have it, it's something like a pinched nerve due to some long-term activity such as frequent typing. PLEASE, PLEASE ask you doctors if this may b your case. Happy hand itch- free nights to everyone!
Blank
Thought i'd better post as suggestions here solved my problem.

For weeks itchy palms,sometimes fingers as well,Soles of feet but not very often.No blistering or rash present.
I tried cutting out differant foods to try & irradicate it - no joy
Fungal cream - no joy
Could get temporary relief from soaking hands in a basin of cold water.
Now it finally seems to have gone away after 2nd day of taking Vitamin B supplements.
Thanks,hope this helps someone cos its a horrible annoyance..
Blank
I was kinda shocked to see your Lupus post. Do you have Lupus? I do... I had carpel tunnel surgery last month and have recently developed little bumps along the incision and it is hot and itchy...Was totally going somewhere other then blaming Lupus, but I guess it could be..
Blank
Alot of you have the same symptoms i.e itchy palms some have itchy reddened nipples the cause of this is the scabies parasite . its easily treated with creams from docs left on for 12 hours applied to cool skin (not after hot bath or shower) please google scabies and check out the symptoms,causes and treatments i think alot of you will get the answers you need .
Blank
I have had scabies before and know what it is and have successfully treated such before with creams and have never had it since and yes what some are describing, especially those with little blisters around the finger/toe joints and in between fingers/toes could very well be scabies but for the majority it is definitely not scabies. As I too have had similar symptoms which include stiffness of fingers and palms and a tightness of skin in these areas to the point that it is sore to make a fist or excessively use my hands. (This in my experience does not happen with scabies. With scabies the hands are usually just itchy with little water blister like pimples inbetween fingers toes and on joints.) With the flare ups however there is unbearable itchiness and tiny splotchy, mottled look to the fingers and the palm of the hand almost like a, veiny spider web, which if looked at very closely looks like very small bumps underneath the skin of the palm. (Although you can't necessarily feel these bumps.) What looks like bumps are usually whitish in colour while in between these are an angry veiny looking red. With me, both hands are always affected at the same time. Have had flare ups of this since I was a small kid. The first time being the worst so bad that my parents took me to the ER in the middle of the night as the itch was so bad that I was unable to sleep and crying my heart out and literally biting and gnawing on my hands to try and stop them from itching. It lasted for about two days the first time. Had all kinds of allegry tests done to no avail. The doctors could not explain it. But I did find out by accident that the only way to instantly relieve the itchiness, stiffness, tightness of skin and pain was to put my hands in something cold. Cold water or cold air would instantly stop or calm down the symptoms where as warm or hot water/air I found exasperated the condition and made it worse. Now when the flare ups happen, which aren't that often, usually only lasts for the best part of half an hour. Have never experienced since, anything like the first time and never want to again. Don't really know what causes it but have notice that for me flare ups usually happen outside, mainly during the summertime on hot days when I am in a very built up area, city or an environment where there are alot of vehicles passing me by so I am guessing with me it has something to do with air pollution. Have never taken any medication or tried using creams for it as other than the first time the flare ups never last for very long and happen rarely. And if the flare up is particularly bad or annoying as long as I can get my hands on or in something cold I am usually okay. I can go for years without having a flare up then all of a sudden I might have a couple within a few months but touch wood nothing as crippling as the first time.
Blank
I was not a member of this forum but felt compelled to join so I could share my own relevation about a possible cause to these unusual itchy spots that occur occasionally and intensely to the palm of the hands.  I know how frustration and mystifying they can be.  After two dermatologist, one using the allergy approach and the other with the virus approach, prescribing medications and treatment to no avail, I went to a dentist to have an old root canal taking care of.  It had been infected for a long time and I didn't know it.  My body had been fighting this infection and it was wearing down my immune system for quite a while.  This is only my opinion but after having the tooth problem taking care of, it went away for several years.  Now, I have another abscessed tooth and a spot has reappeared on my right palm.  Anyway, just a "head's up" to you folks.  You might go and have a dental checkup just in case.  I think we forget that dental health can affect the whole body. I hope this helps.....best regards to you all.
Blank
2014108_tn?1328196036
so did you find out if it was nerve damage?? because im having the same problem and im starting to get scared, no matter what i do this itch does not go away and italmost feels like its getting worse by the day.. i have just like a little red spot right in the middle of my hand, its like more up towards my fingers, not my palm...
Blank
Aidamv is correct.  Itchy palms is usually due to nerve issues in the arm.  Doing tendonitis exercises will make it go away
Blank
Like some others, joined to input... I have the little itchy bumps on the bottom part of my palm.  When they start, if I put a needle in one, it has a very tiny bit of liquid..not much at all and I have to really look so think it's more moisture from the bump raising on my skin.  What seems to bring them on for me is my persian cat... when I rub his head I put my whole hand on his head with my fingers back the ears and my palm on his forehead.  I'm thinking it is something in the tears of their eyes?  Who knows.  I haven't found out what exactly works but I get rid of them by putting on Lotrimin, peroxide, and apple cider vinegar.  Not sure which one is working as I am in the experimental states as it has happened 3 times and I forget which I've put on and do the three the next time.  But they do go away in about a week if I keep applying those.  After I put on the vinegar, the bumps get almost hard and I can almost scratch them off.
Blank
Oh,, BTW, I went to the dermatologist twice about them... got three different creams and nothing worked.  The dermatologist is stumped.. I think it's from my cat... he is a persian and inside cat so not mites/fleas and stuff like that... just a regular healthy cat.
Blank
Get checked for scabbies.
Blank
holy **** this is the exact same thing that I have! it's just on my right palm in the middle towards the bottom. and it's a small bump, you can't really see it but you can feel it and I've had it for a few weeks now and have no clue what it is!
Blank
I have all small red dot in the center of my right palm it itches and sometimes stings a little I think ive had this before but this literally just spears out of no where its under the skin and is not raised at ALL it looks like I put a dot of red dye in the middle of my palm PLEASE answer cause I'm worried it could be something else :o
Blank
Definately sounds like eczema. Eczema can appear for a number of reasons. Chemical irritants (from something as simple as shampoo) even from stress. I used to get it very rarely, and in small areas. Would look like tapioca pearls on the palm of my hand- or sides of my finger tips. Recently I've had it all over the palms of both hands and its crazy itchy. It appears as small bumps under the skin- then my palms peel- fresh new skin takes its place- after a few weeks it starts all over. Its making me crazy. I plan to talk to my doctor for a steroid cream next week. Good luck.
Blank
996946_tn?1385991151
I have had itchy palmsm mostly on the outside edges of each, for months now. It's every day but no bumps or other evident abrasions, just itchy.  I'm on the computer a lot and I was wondering if there could be any connection between the contact of your palms and the keyboard, you know electrical magnetic fields, and such.....or does that sound totally out in left field and it's just some kind or hormonal thing?
Blank
it may have gotten lost in all the responses but i would guess most of you just need tinactin or lotrimin (someone above pointed this out)...go get a spray for jock itch/athletes foot...

yeah getting it on the hands is common and likely not visible at all...just try not to eat after spraying your hands.

(this is for those with no visible symptoms...you guys with weird bumps, i don't know)

Blank
996946_tn?1385991151
No mine's definitely not athlete's foot.  The itching comes and goes and there is no way to tell by looking at my hand that any itchiness is occuring. But you're right....if you have athlete's foot, then Lomatril will get rid of it for good!
Blank
996946_tn?1385991151
Sorry, I meant Lotrimin
Blank
THIS IS A FORM OF ECZEMA CALLED DISHYDROSIS - GOOGLE THE IMAGES - TELL ME IF I'M LYING. STEROIDAL CREAMS HELP. I PREFER OLIVE OIL MIXED WITH A LITTLE CALAMIDE - COTTON GLOVES AT NIGHT. I LIVE WITH THIS **** AND HOPEFULLY I'VE GOT IT LICKED FOR AWHILE.
Blank
THIS IS A FORM OF ECZEMA CALLED DISHYDROSIS - GOOGLE THE IMAGES - TELL ME IF I'M LYING. STEROIDAL CREAMS HELP. I PREFER OLIVE OIL MIXED WITH A LITTLE CALAMIDE - COTTON GLOVES AT NIGHT. I LIVE WITH THIS **** AND HOPEFULLY I'VE GOT IT LICKED FOR AWHILE.
Blank
I get this occasionally. Itchy left palm (right handed) or sometimes the feet or ankles...mine seems to be allergy related. One time I broke out in hives all over my hands/feet/legs/arms and they gave me a prescription for Atarax. I still have it...so when I feel the itching start, I take one of those and it goes away....so perhaps you guys should talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for Atarax. It actually happened to me last night and today...both times, took Atarax and it went away.
Blank
3151010_tn?1343275260
cALAMINE LOTION - SO HELP ME! EASY - EXFOLIATE WITH IN THE MORNING AND AFTERWARDS ADD AN EXTRA LAYER. BATHE REGULARLY - BUT DON'T SOAK FOREVER OK? LIP BALM FOR MOISTURE IF NEEDED. I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF - I BEAT THIS SH*T. KAWABUNGA!!!
Blank
This was a really good hint. At least for me, I'm now thinking that some kind of fibromatosis is in play here. The nodules under the skin, palms and soles involved... Good news is, PABA supplements might help. I'm going to try that and report back. Beats jumping right to surgery or radiation.
Blank
After i had my daughter 2yrs ago i started experiencing the same symptoms .very itchy red palms that swell red but in patches not the entire palm. I want to a dermatotigist but they couldnt figure it out , ive also had multiple allergy testings and nothing. Dove soap and cold water seem to help for temporary relief but im telling you the burning and itching is enough to make you wanna scratch your hand raw .
Blank
I've just noticed small itchy painless bumps on palm of hands..I scratch them then bumps go away and it turns into what looks like a flaky skin..I've NEVER had any problems like this..could it be from stress and how long should I wait to goto doc?
Blank
I FOUND OUT THIS DISEASE!! HERE IS THE ARTICLE< IM COPY AND PASTING BELOW!! HOPE EVERYBODY READS IT!!

What is EM?

Erythromelalgia is a rare and frequently devastating disorder that typically affects the skin of the feet or hands, or both, and causes visible redness, intense heat and burning pain.

The term erythromelalgia describes the syndrome: erythros (redness), melos (extremity) and algia (pain). An alternate name is “erythermalgia” that emphasizes the thermos (heat) – an essential part of the syndrome.

While usually affecting the lower extremities (legs and feet) and upper extremities (arms and hands) other body parts like faces or just ears or the nose may be involved. It usually affects both sides of the body, but can affect just one.

The associated pain and burning sensations can be extremely severe. People with EM often make major adjustments to their lifestyles to avoid flare-ups. Even in mild-to-moderate cases, normal functioning such as walking, standing, working, socializing, exercising, and sleeping may be impaired.

Precipitating factors include warm temperatures and even mild exercise. Cooling the hot body parts relieves the pain, as does elevating the affected areas. [The use of icy water is strongly discouraged as ice can damage the skin. Using a fan or cool water is suggested instead.]

Approximately five percent of those with EM have an inherited condition that research has shown to be caused by genetic mutations. These people usually have other members of their families with the syndrome.

The cause of EM is unknown in the vast majority of cases. Peripheral neuropathies underlie many, and in some cases EM may be secondary to other disorders like the blood disease polycythemia.

A number of different medications have been shown effective in relieving symptoms of EM. However, no one drug helps everyone. Traditional over-the-counter pain medications or stronger prescription drugs help some. Anticonvulsant drugs like Neurontin and Lyrica help others. Certain antidepressants like Cymbalta help still others.  Combinations of drugs also have been reported effective. For instance, Lyrica and Cymbalta, at the lowest possible dosage, have been reported  to be more effective than either drug by itself.

It is recommended that people with EM find a doctor willing to help them pursue a trial-and-error course of treatment. Since some people may be highly sensitive to drugs, initial doses of new medications should be very low.
Blank
I found relief for itchy red, raw and  palms.This has been a difficult problem to treat. Taking advise from an older lady was the first step. I soak my hands once or twice daily in very hot water and Epson Salts...(oh what a relief it is) then I use a ointment called NEOSPORIN  ECZEMA ESSENTIALS( I must have up to thirty other ointments that did nothing to help itching and healing). Use the cream up to five or six times a day.(keep your hands moisturized with cream to help healing. I have noticed redness is going away, and the cream does stop the itching....I so hope my comments will help someone.
Blank
Itchy palms start each morning upon waking.  It starts with a hint of an itch deep under my skin; no blisters or redness.  And when I scratch it, the itch explores all over my hands, up my fingers, the back of my hands.  The itch is so bad that I am soon biting my hands like a dog bites an itch.  I scratch and bite with my teeth as the itch escalates more and more.  I have heated a plate of water in the microwave and stuck my hand in it.  Eventually, it stops enough where I can regain composure.  

The rest of the day is ok; but it all starts over again the next morning.  Eventually, my hands become swollen, stiff, cracked, bleeding, rough and broken skin. This has been going on for years.  At first only in winter, now all year around.

Recently, the only thing I have found that helps is the essential oil frankincense.  It helps a great deal; but seems to dry my hands out after using it for two or three days.  Which may be a clue?  I hope to keep using it and see it things improve.  I use YoungLiving oil but it is very expensive, but I will pay it for the relief.

I hope this helps.  God bless you.
Blank
Itchy palms start each morning upon waking.  It starts with a hint of an itch deep under my skin; no blisters or redness.  And when I scratch it, the itch explores all over my hands, up my fingers, the back of my hands.  The itch is so bad that I am soon biting my hands like a dog bites an itch.  I scratch and bite with my teeth as the itch escalates more and more.  I have heated a plate of water in the microwave and stuck my hand in it.  Eventually, it stops enough where I can regain composure.  

The rest of the day is ok; but it all starts over again the next morning.  Eventually, my hands become swollen, stiff, cracked, bleeding, rough and broken skin. This has been going on for years.  At first only in winter, now all year around.

Recently, the only thing I have found that helps is the essential oil frankincense.  It helps a great deal; but seems to dry my hands out after using it for two or three days.  Which may be a clue?  I hope to keep using it and see it things improve.  I use YoungLiving oil but it is very expensive, but I will pay it for the relief.

I hope this helps.  God bless you.
Blank
my mom and little bro have the same illness. Basically what happens- is when your under a certain amount of crazy duress- you "break out" . It has to do with great stress and anxiety. Rub bumps with icy butter and try to keep your head level. I suggest mint magic tea and some good music. Don't over think it- and for gods sake- do not buy any prescription drugs.
Blank
Tinea corporis  look this up it helps
Blank
This could be Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. Get your doctor to do the necessary blood tests.
Blank
By reading these comments, I have a feeling it could be one of 2 things: fake silver earrings. I noticed that my ears burned the other day but i ignored it, and now I have the worst red itchy circle on my right palm. Or I have heard that certain antibiotics cause severe itchy red patches on your palm...Hmmm?
Blank
Let us know what you find out. You have described exactly what is happening to me right now and has been an issue for a couple of weeks. Its just the one spot on the lower thumb side of my palm and seems to have a clear bump under the skin. It does feel pinchy somewhat when I itch it.
Blank
Let us know what you find out. You have described exactly what is happening to me right now and has been an issue for a couple of weeks. Its just the one spot on the lower thumb side of my palm and seems to have a clear bump under the skin. It does feel pinchy somewhat when I itch it.
Blank
Mine started in jan 2013 after an allergic reaction to an antidepressant I find antihistamine works but when really bad I have steroids from the doctor that takes it right down I'm going to get gloves cos at the moment anything can start them off
Blank
Sounds like the same as I have.  The itch is unbearable. Little pin sized bumps.  The skin drys then gets leathery then cracks and peels.  Hurts like a paper cut.  Mine started in June, now in Late October, I'm still breaking out on palms and sides of fingers.  

I'm trying hot then cold packs to get some circulation going.  I'm now taking vitamin E, Zinc, and Vitamin D.  As well as my usual calcium/magnesium.  
I'm hoping this helps. After week one it appears to be healing, but still itching with the feeling of something moving under my skin.  

Please let me know if you find a cure. My prescription of  Triaderm 1% cream did not work for me.
Blank
I think it could be associated with touching bare metal that are not painted. Metal tend to cause this type of palm itching. I use alcohol to neutralize the itching and the reaction from the hand exposure/contact to metal object that are not coated or painted. Try 90% alcohol to help stop itching a couple of times a day. Hope this helps.
Blank
Possible solution 'tecnu'. I have had this problem for a couple of years. The itch drove me crazy.  Lasted about 3 weeks, would clear up for 1 week and then start over again.  Only on my right palm everytime. Tried everything.  Then about 2 months ago, the 1st day it started, I tried a product I picked up at Walgreens called 'tecnu'.  It was very cheap. Says it is to remove poison oak and ivy oils. Even though I didn't have either of these, I figured I would try it anyway as I exhausted every other solution. Put it on immediately and repeated at the first itch and after 2 days problem was gone and has not come back yet, 2 months later!!! Please try it and let me know if any one out there has success.
Blank
the Palms of my hands seem to have tiny red bumbs "inside" and it is seriously " disturbingly" itchy. sometimes it feels like micro needles pricking my palms. Thick layers of skin from the fingertip till the wrist have fallen off ever since I got this particular ailment nearly a month ago. Help is needed here!
Blank
Exact same situation I had for a couple of year.  "Tecnu" solved my problem. Haven't got it for almost 3 months now.  See previous post above yours. Let us know if it works for you.
Blank
I have had an itchy leathery spot on my right palm for a while now.  It's getting worse.  I use a wireless mouse for many hours each day.  I just realized that it's probably from the constant radiation going straight to that hand.  This is something that doesn't occur to people and that the wireless industry doesn't want to talk about.  But just because it's invisible doesn't mean it isn't powerful.  
Blank
Are you still having the problem. I just started having it :( All the sudden my palms get itchy and have red spots beneath the surface. It seems If i grab a fork or something like that to fight  the itch it will subside with a few minutes-1/2 hr. I can't figure it out. I's happening on the soles of my feet too....Thank you for your help.

MJ
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank