ITCHY PALM PLEASE HELP!!!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

ITCHY PALM PLEASE HELP!!!

I've been having an itchy palm since the middle of August! Nothing seems to work! I'm going crazy and so scared that it can be something else. Has anyone ever experienced this??? It seems as though theres a tiny bump under the skin, can this cause the itching?? All my doctors are stumped at this point!! PLEASE HELP!
I know you asked this question a while ago but it could have been dermatitis. I have contact dermatitis from paper and it causes red itchy bumps on the palms of my hands. I also lose my fingerprints and get itchy bumps on the tips and sides of my fingers. I use an emollient cream at night and throughout the day to protect my hands. Myabe this info is better late than never.
Thanks for the helpful advice, but I don't think I have dermatitis. It's only my right palm that itches and its only in one spot, not the whole entire palm. And my bump isn't itchy, it's skin colored and looks as though it's underneath the palm. I'm going to a neurologist tomorrow because a GP thought it can be nerve damage. Thanks again.
Did you ever find out what was causing your itchy palm?  I think I have the same thing.  It's been itching for about 3 weeks and I noticed there seems to be a small bump under the skin where it itches.
if anyone knows whats causing this, please help. I have had this over and over , keeps coming back in the past 2.5 years
the bumps are on my palms as if they are under the skin, just like you described here. its very itchi and is driving me crazy. I have had auto immune isuues while I was pregnant and I think this have to do with an auto immune problem, because these symptoms only started since I gave birth , stoped for awhile and resumed after the 2nd delivery ...both pregnancies I had autoimmune problems. if anyone knows the answer to itchi bumps under the palms skin, please e-mail me :   ***@****     I dont trust the skin docs anymore, they always shut me up with some lotions and say it will go away, no one bothers figuring out whats really causing this.  please help if you know the answer. Yafit
and my e-mail is:     yafitco5(at)walla(dot)co(dot)il.   I have to write it this way or it gets deleted by the site
I have been having the same problem off and on for a long time and currently for the past 2 weeks.  I do not have any bumps under or on the palm but the center of my palm itches all the time.  You would think that the doctors would be able to determine what this is.  When it gets really bad I take Benadryl and that seems to calm it down a bit but I do not have any know allergies.  I hope someone finds out soon.
My center right palm has been ithcing for about 3 weeks and today the center left palm started.  There is no evidence of a rash or bumps.  I haven't changed any habits that I can recall but it is driving me nuts.  I started looking for some clues before I went to the doctor and found this site.  I will be checking back!
I was feeling desperate tonight, my palm is so itchy I feel like I could scratch the skin off.  I have been getting these small bumps under the skin for about 3 years now, my palm swells, the skin gets tough or leathery but it is the itch that drives me nuts.  I am surprised how many people seem to be getting the same thing.  I DO have allergies and have blamed it on that, sometimes it feels like something is crawling just below the skin.  I've been using a burn spray on it but the only thing that seems to help is cold but it only helps for a little while.  I would be very interested if someone finds an answer.
It sounds like ezcema (eczema). There are different ideas as to etiology but seems to be brought on by different things. Stress, chemicals. Good way to tell if this is ezcema (eczema) is if it is opened, it will be red inside, but once opened, will soon stop itching and crust over. Only small amt of clear fluid can be expressed but no pus. Be careful as these can become infected if opened. I find that the biggest cause is dry skin. Chemicals can bring this on. Also, cosmetics, maybe you use your right hand to spread some type of lotion or to clean house etc. Try using gloves.
It could be a form of contact dermatitis. I get it too, especially when I have been using the computer mouse a lot, and only the right palm (I am right-handed), and not the left. Anyone else noticed if it relates to computer mouse use?
Sounds like there are a few of us out there with this mystery ailment.  I have been experiencing an itchy left palm for about three months. It has become a bit callused because of all the scratching that I've been doing (at least I think that's why).  Kat221 mentioned that s/he thought it might be due to the mouse they are using. I got a new mouse about 4 months ago and it has a different fit in my hand. (I'm left handed and use a left handed mouse and that's  where all the itching is). Hope someone comes along with an answer.  In the meantime, I scratch until it hurts.
I was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue about 10 yrs ago after a blood test to resolve my chronic anemia.  Because I have never been religious about not eating foods made with gluten or containing wheat products I have now developed Dermatitis Herpetiformis on my elbows.  Since the outbreak I have had itchy palms and occasionally itchy ankles and feet, but my only outbreak of DH is on my elbows.  Celiac Sprue or an allergy to wheat can be very silent and difficult to diagnose without the proper blood tests or biopsy of the small intestine.  I'm hoping that following a gluten free diet will resolve my DH and itchy hands and feet, not to mention my chronic anemia.  
I have had itching palms for years now. It comes and goes. The itching at times is unbearable. I find myself rubbing my palms on sharp metal objects or on desk corners to relieve the itching. There are no bumps, lumps or redness. Skin is slightly dry, but it is from all the scratching. Skin is normal when itching first begins. I also get an itching sensation in my right nipple, this too has come and gone for several years.  I have asked doctors and have been simply told "I have no idea". I personally feel this is a hormonal problem, but I am obviously no doctor. I wish someone could help figure out the cause of this annoying problem!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Does the itchiness persist? Are they present 100% of the time?

If not, what triggers the itchiness?

One differential may be xerotic or irritant dermatitis. Xerotic dermatitis may present with itchiness brought about by skin dryness which may be secondary to a skin irritation. Skin irritation in this case may be due to constant exposure with irritants like lotions ,detergents  and certain chemicals. Have you been handling any chemicals or substances lately? Do you have any known allergies?
Hi Vanessa,
The itching comes and goes. There may be months where there is no itching at all. When the itching is present, it as well comes and goes. For instance this afternoon it was driving me crazy, and as of right now there is no itching at all.
I havent changed any of my lotions and I don't handle any chemicals. I had terrible allergies and asthma as child, but went 2x a week for several years for allergy shots.
In my 20's and 30's I believe am almost allergy free. I live with 2 cats which I could have never have done as a child.
Keep in mind the itching is also present in the right nipple. This often happens when the palm itching begins. I don't see any dryness on the nipple or the palms.
Thank you for your help!
Jen
I have been having very itchy palms (both) and sometimes even feet for the last several weeks. I can't figure out why. I also have to dig at the itch with a sharp object to temporarily relieve the itch. I wish a doctor or someone who has experienced this and found out why this happens would respond to this post and give us all some idea of what's going on. I was shocked to see how many other people were also having this same issue.
I have the same exact thing as you...I just went online to see if I could find out what t is...AND I read all these comments..but no real answers ..I hope someone knows..this itching is driving me crazy as well.
I have had itching of my right palm for about 3 to 4 months now and it comes and goes as all of you have described I have tried various lotions to no avail if anyone figures it out please let me know it gets extremely annoying.
This may help some of you: look into Lupus, at least to rule it out. It can cause red, itcy palms and feet.Yafit, since you have had autoimmune issues: Lupus is hormonally driven in some people, which could be why your pregnancies affected it. Maybe this will help someone. Good luck!
I have had his same issue of itchy palms and occasional bumps under the skin on and off for years. I am adopted and met my biological family several years ago and found out all us girls suffer from this at some point . Would you believe that for us, it was directly related to certain times during our menstrual cycle??? Sounds bizarre, but after really tracking it for awhile, we could all relate it to the approximate time we were ovulating! Hormones are such crazy things. It would last a few days and go away. I don't get it every month, but on the months that I had more PMS symptoms, I DID get it. Weird huh?
firstly reassess the quality of your doctors, ( i hope they didn't have the cheek to ask you for any money ! ) then google 'dupeytron's contracture'.
it's not necessarily as bad as some of those sites and pictures make it out to be. I've had it for years with nothing more than the bumps and the itching (which can drive you mad); an eighty year old doctor showed me both his palms and told me not to worry about it - he'd had no other problems either. (Although if your bumps are growing aggressively then I guess you need to make decisions).
well just recently my hands and feet would become so itchy i would cry. i have no tiny bumps, i did discover that my sugar levels were extramely high i had diabetes, which affect the never system. i suggest ask the doctor if it could be a possibility with you good luck all and god bless everyone.
I had an itchy palm, actually the whole inside of my left hand, last night that drove me crazy. The sole of my foot itched at the same time. Nothing was visable, no bumps,washing my hand did no good, I gently kept scratching with a velcro hair roller. One finger had gotten quite swollen on one side, making me think it might have been a sugar ant bite that started it. I`m in Hawaii and they are everywhere right now. It stopped itching suddenly, perhaps the increase of blood circulating from the scratching had something to do with it. I know it is not my mouse, I don`t go to a gym; I share NONE of the possible causes everyone has cited.  Stress is a possibility for me though.
Hi, Just a thought but it may help to try to eliminate yeast build up in your body, there are also some good detox therapies to try. If you don't find out exactly whats causing it maybe you can still manage it with the therapy. Be careful and research your detox remedies careful, especially if you have allergies. There are a lot of natural ways to rid the body of fungus, yeast and mold. A good site to research is www.****.com . Hope this helps........  

Medicine Lady
this itching is keeping me awake! Ive had it for 3 days now as far as I can recall, but I think I remember having it a while back. Too many health problems to keep track of! I don't have the bumps or redness right now though. just itching. and it's starting in my feet again tonight as I type....I recently got my tounge pierced, anyone know of that being a cause for it all? looks like tonight is going to be a fun one.....
wel.. My gal friend is badly facing the problem of itching on her left palm...
Initially, she had burning sensation on her left palm, but after tat it severely stared itching for her....
I really cant c her like this....
plzzz ppl... I hope u help me out with this....
wil b waitg for ur help....
with regards,
Chet Rockz
To all itchy palms,

I used to have this problem for several years ago. It started with mild itchness and progress into extreme itchness as time went on until two years ago. The itchness comes and goes. Sometime it gets so itchy that I started to scratch and small watery bliters forms and breaks. Everyone's symptoms are different, but the above was what I experienced. I started to see the naturalpathic doctors about this symptoms and my other symptoms and all of them points to the gluteen intorlant. So you may want to start a diary on your food intake to see any correlation on this itchness breakout. This is just a suggestion. I know that these symptoms all pointed to allegies reaction from internal and external. But please try two weeks diet without wheat gluteen and see if the condition has improved.
I've been experiencing itchy palms for awhile now...and have been searching for a cause, symptom, disease, etc.  Came across this site.  Also struck by the numbers of people afflicted.  Various causes are possible based on my research (liver failure, Type II diabetes, allergies, hormonal, chemicals, contact dermatitis, etc).  Guess what - when
this happened tonight - it was so bad (at the point of 'taking my skin off')...and I had just put together a "Slim Cart" (vinyl-covered steel rolling cart for my kitchen)...when I thought about latex allergies.  That led me to chemical allergies and vinyl which has phthalates (used to soften plastics)...took an allergy pill and put on hydrocortisone cream in attempts to stop itching.  Since this is the worst it's ever been (which indicates I've been building up worse reactions to contact with this 'allergen' and means it will get worse - actually developed hives on my skin and it started to wrap around my thumbs to the sides of my hands and up my wrists - was using a stiff brush to itch after trying the desk corner and my finger nails - kids found the dog brush in their efforts to assist - thank you thank you thank you!).  Well, to get down to brass tacks, the nickel in the metal causes allergies (somebody got their tongue pierced - was it nickel?  May be similar to skin irritations/breakout by girls that can only wear stainless steel or 14K+gold jewelry/earrings); vinyl or latex or rubber causes allergies; so why the heck not our computer mice?  In fact, in order to search tonight on the web, i've had to cover my mouse with a kleenex so that i could keep searching!  The itching was starting back up...and right now - doing all this typing - the ends of my fingers are hurting (note - i do have peripheral neuropathy BUT it has been in the ends of my fingers and feet from diabetes and other spinal nerve damage - this itching, burning, take the skin off intensity is developing/progressing and not the same, IMHO.  ALSO - when i had laparascopic surgeries they used the skin glue - which also caused INTENSE
long-lasting itching at the sites.  So my friends - we are all victims of technology and use of the wonderful man-made chemicals - no wonder.  We, smart as we are, weren't smart enough to figure out that we shouldn't have messed with mother nature to start with.  Oh, well.  I hope my insights about vinyl allergic reactions tonight help you and wakes up the industry.  As for me - now i've got to consciously start avoiding touching anything plastic.  And that includes heating things up in the microwave.  Watch out for plasticizers in just about all our daily lives to include
the dashboards of our cars (talk about in your face fumes as you drive...).  P.S. Also diagnosed last year as allergic to everything (horses, feathers, dust mites, dogs, cats, you  name it, i am). :(
Hi All, i have had what you are describing for a few years now and have been told so many things by many doctors & last night when looking on the web finally found something that sounds right! For me it is Dyshidrotic Excema - so might be for you too?.. Google it and see what you think? They say that to treat it by putting Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) to dry up the little blisters, and this clears it up within a week instead of many weeks. Good luck! :)
I think I see a common denominator with these postings. Are we all female?? I have been suspecting that my itchy palms are from hormones and after reading these postings, that is the only thing that makes sense.  My right palm is the worst and itches intensly for no apparent reason. It can start itching the second I get out of bed. There appears to be small bumps under the skin. Would love to see if anyone knows of any men out there with this problem???

In answer to your question, 'is it just women', I have to say no. I am having an awfull time with my itchy palm at the moment and I'm male. I have suffered from severe Eczema since childhood but thought it had cleared up years ago... that is until recently that is when I started getting an itchy right palm with little bumps under the skin.

I have just read the article about Dyshidrosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyshidrosis) as mentioned by the MelC74 and it seems to ring very true. Sadly I see there is no cure as such but hope that I can control it using E45 cream, this helped me in the past when I was not able to use soap. I would really welcome any advice people can offer which may help with the itching, it gets so bad and my wife is constantly telling me to stop stracthing which is easier said than done, but I know she is right!

All the best
I am a 60 yr. old woman who when younger would have itching on my hands.  I would get little clear bumps and I wanted to scratch my skin off.  It would  come and go but finally left me.  Seven yrs. ago I was woken in the night with itching soles and hands.  It was so bad I got sick from it and vomited.  After the vomiting.  The itching was gone and I went back to bed.  I thought maybe I had food poisoning.  The next morning, I was so sore from the violent vomiting that I could barely move.
I took an Advil for the soreness.  Five minutes after I took the Advil the palms of my hands and soles of my feet started again and I was sick.  I panicked and called 911 as my heart was racing so fast I thought I was going to have a heart attack.  After getting to the hospital, it stopped and they told me I had the flu.  (wrong!!) I did remember thought that I had taken two Advil before I went to bed for a headache.  I connected the two.   Well I never took another Advil and it never happened again until about 5 months ago when I took an Aleve for a sore back.  Again, 5 minutes later the itching started again.  I finally realized that it was the pain medication, specifically an inti-inflamitory medicine.  I rushed to the medicine cabinet and took two Benadryll and within 10 minutes my heart stopped racing and the itching stopped.  I stay away from any anti-inflamtory medicine.  I still occasionally get some itching now and then on my hands and soles of my feet, but it last only a short while and goes away.  I have come to the conclusion that it is a type of allergy I have to certain things, especially Aleve, Advil or any other anti-inflamatory.  I don't remember ever having a steroid for anything, but I am probably alergic (allergic) to that also.  I make sure I let my doctors know. I don't know if this is familar to anyone but that is my story.  Oh, and I only take tylenol for pain now.
One or two emailers asked if this itchy palm condition could be related to excessive computer mouse use.

I have a very itchy left palm, and I am aconstant user of the computer mouse.  However, I do not have this itch in my right palm, so I doubt if using the computer relates to this problem.

***@****
My itchy palm, no bump or blister, progressed to pain and tingling, especially at night. An orthopaeduc sugeon confirmed my primary physicians diagnosis of carpal tunnel. He explained the signals from the nerves become confused and sometimes feel like something crawling or extreme itching. A cortisone shot has provided relief which he indicates will be temporary. The median nerve needs to be relieved surgically according to his recommendation. It all sounds reasonable except now the sole of my foot itches, always at bedtime.
I am another person suffering from chronic itchy hands and feet. There are small blisters under my skin that itch like crazy until they pop and leave me with peeling skin. The previous poster who mentioned "Dyshidrotic Excema" may be right, at least in my case. I googled it and when I read that it was affected by humidity and hot weather, I said "yowsa!"  the first time I dealt with this problem, I had just moved to Florida in August!!! It was unbearable until around October. I have noticed that it comes back every year with Spring and Summer, some years worse than others. Benadryl helps, but makes me woozy! Other than that, nothing helps the itch. The dry skin was impossible to manage until I tried Badger Cream, which is a type of bag balm. So although I do not have any more answers than the rest of you, I know reading these posts has helped me, so I thought I would contribute and put my vote in for: Dyshidrotic Excema at least for me.
Good Luck to all of you!
I have been cursed with the itchy hand syndrome for about 14 years... sometimes I go forever without it, but it always comes back.  The first time I had it I scratched so much that i got an open sore on the palm of my hand.  The itching is like it is something inside my hand that I can't get to, but it feels so good to scratch it.  I love using the salt/sugar scrubs.  I have one from bath and body and it just feels so good to use it.  It never lasts long, but leaves my skin so soft.  Sometimes it affects my fingers too, but the worst is the palm. I am interested in the thoughts that it could be ibuprophen related.  I have started taking it every day for osteoarthritis.  This last flare up has gone on for awhile... maybe since I started the Advil.  I will try to go off of it.  I also have numbness at night along with pain in my hands.  Not sure if it is related, but that is what I have.  My sisters have the itchy hand thing too... wonder if it is genetic.....my uncle also has it.   For some reason, I feel better since I read all of these threads and I know I am not the only one....Misery loves company!  
as it turns out most of us on this forum are suffers of  OAS
oral allergy syndrome

http://www.fitsugar.com/3009947
Hi,  I started to have itchy palms two days ago.  Sometimes, the itch travels up to my arms and to my upper body.  No skin change, except the palms are kind of red and feel thick and tough from scratching.  The itch seems to come from underneath the skin.  The only new things that's happend to me lately are 1) eating mangos, and 2) got a new wool carpet for the dinning room.  My husband told me to stop eating the mangos and see if anything changes.  I doubt that it could be the wool carpet because I'm not allergic to my wool sweaters, so I really don't know what's happening.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  
Misery may love company, but does this thread actually offer any explanation, or just the ongoing communion of the suffering?  I have thought about warts or athlete's foot.  This seems to be one of those ailments doctors prefer to say is "all in the head" because there are many possible causes for the symptoms...
For myself an IT professional and heavy computer user if you don't have any bumps or blistering and just an itchy palm I'm going to lean toward Carpal Tunnel.  I'm experiencing the irriatating itchy palm this week and have been logging a lot of overtime and online time at home.  I can sense a bit of soreness in the wrist and forearm as well.  I would say give the computing a break if you can, try a wrist brace, get a new chair, mousepad or do whatever it takes to improve your positioning with the keyboard and mouse and see if that helps.  

I know for myself it normally goes away as soon as I lighten up on the computer use.

Check the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel and see if anything strikes home for you.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm#115113049

Suggested you try Zinnat 250mg 3 tmes daily after meals. You may check the details in Google.
my girl has had itching palms off and on. so bad she would use keys, kitchen knife, corner of a cabinet it was driving her crazy.sometime would last weeks..no one had a strate out answer..one day she had it start up again .. and backtracked the day,, it was hand sanitizer.. she works at a newspaper and handleing everything she would clean her hands with sanitizer...since she stopped useing it ..it has finnally stopped ..hope this helps you...john
try not useing any HAND SANITIZERS.... hers cleared up in a day..and hasnt returned after almost a year of torment..john
I had it just a couple weeks when I forgot to wear gloves while gardening. I tried soaking my hands in hot water ( enough to resist the heat) and repeat the process once itching starts again. Within 4 soakings, itching was gone.

for best result try soaking it in boiled herbal medicines like guava leaves.
I have a had a very slight sub-cutaneous bump on the palm of my right hand for years (maybe 3mm in diameter and now very difficult to detect) and one just developed one on my left hand. It was only very slightly raised with no discoloration or change in skin texture except it felt quite obviously like a bump. The second one is quite itchy from time to time and is a little rougher from scratching (This is NOT my computer mouse hand). Yes, the skin doctors are just like the ones Grace Slick sang about in White Rabbit "the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all". No ideas of cause or cure at this point. Seems sort of isolated to be anything related to food or drugs etc.

I'm a bit relieved that I'm not alone in this. I have same symptoms as several of you: no lesions or rash, just itchy hands and feet --
1)   The itch is localized, palms and/or ankles and soles, and it comes and goes with no regularity
2)   However, several years ago when it first appeared, it was several times a week and I attributed to a specific building I used to work. Doctor prescribed allegra --- as long as I was taking daily allegra I was free of the itch. After I left that job, I could discontinue allegra; but the symptoms have not completely vanished.
3)   No bumps or rash but  I could clearly see my palms become red
4)   In my case it doesn't last long, as I have noticed the last three times,
5)   Use of anti histamine (I used allegra) as soon as the itch comes, was providing relief (my doc didn't have any explanation) within minutes, but on those occassions when I didn't have allegra on me, I observed that it went away in 20 minutes or so.
6)   I have not found any single thing could have triggered it, food, environment, my mood (depression or elation) or time of the day.
7)   Doesn't seem gender specific as I read the suffering is not limited to one gender.
8)   I'm not so sure about age, it definitely started in my case in my late forties; I don't have any known ailment.
9)   As per immediate relief, anti histamine always relieved me of the itch in a matter of minutes.
10)   As per diagnosis, we are not there yet; I don't think it islupus, in my case.
Like Jenster84, in addition to the itchy left palm I often get an itchy sensation in my right nipple.  It drives me crazy!  I only experience the itchy palm when I am up (as in not lying in bed) and mostly when I am sitting at my desk.  Years ago I experienced a problem with both of my hands itching - to the point that I would make them bleed when I scratched.  That finally went away and didn't have any problems until recently when my left palm started itching.  Actually, the nipple itch came first but it doesn't happen as often as the palm.

Wish someone knew how to relieve this; I have tried using the cortisone creams - even an RX one from my doctor but they don't work.  Benadryl helps a little but it puts me to sleep so I had to get the non-drowsy kind and that didn't work as well.  AAARRGGHH!

Well fellow sufferers, I gotta go scratch so here's hoping someone comes up with an answer!
I too have been suffering with itchy palms (both) & feet (both). Every night it begins and lasts for a few hours then begins to go away. It began about 3-4 weeks ago in both my feet (the toe area), but now includes top, bottom & ankles. My hands have also grown in the area effected, started in just the palms, but now includes fingers & back of hand.  My husband told to me to search reasons online so here I am. I am shocked at how many of us there are with the same problem.  Last night I noticed that the itching began to effect my ears & hairline on the back of my neck too.  I am as frustrated as you & will try to go on the glutten free diet as someone else mentioned & I'll take a look at some of the other ideas given on this site.  I didn't notice any bumps until last night, but I figured it was caused by all my scratching.  I can't imagine how some of you have dealt with this for years!!  
I had the mystery itch 4 years ago in my hands and feet, and I made my life hell. If there are any other symptoms besides the itching, definetly look into the combo. Usually it is and allergic issue, unfortunatly for me, I had Hodgkins Lymphoma. My suggestion is to change your diet and the products you use, and remember even if you have used something for years, you can all of a sudden develope an allergic reaction to it.
I too have itching palms... not feet just palms.  NO visible signs of ANYTHING at all.  It goes off and on.  There's been NO change in ANYTHING (lotions, soaps, detergents..etc).  I don't know what to do or where to even start because I know it's not a rash or dermatitis and so on. Help!
My right palm has the under the skin bubble patch that itch's a few times a year. A wireless computer mouse seemed to make my hand ache so I went back to a wired mouse. I'm not 100% sure but seems to act up less often.
I too suffered from very itchy & hot palms & feet. I read a post that suggested vitamin B12 so I began taking it and within a few days the itching stopped. You may want to try a normal dose of this (100 mg).
Contact dermatitis is from contact with chemicals. So this doesn't fit.
However, Allergic contact dermatitis is not the same thing. It is a delayed reaction from an allergen.
And yes people can be allergic to plastic, And if only on the right hand would likely be the mouse.  If you want to find out, the simply cover your mouse with masking tape, and use a razor to cut the lines where the buttons are. And then write back, on this post on how it worked after a few days. And avoid touching plastic for a few days.

Also, drugs can cause itchy palm.
the best cure I found for my itchy hands was  putting my hands under a hot hot hot shower...at first the heat really really irritates your itchy hands and you think you are going crazy.. but guess what folks it eventually subsides and it does go away..now how did I figure that out..??  when I first showered with my irritating itchy hands I would scratch my hands worse in the shower under the heat and then put my hands in cold cold water... the cold worked for a while but then the itch would come back... so I decided I am going to just go crazy and leave my hands under a steaming hot hot shower...sometimes I felt I wanted to burn my hands off....but NO.. I survived and my hands relaxed..its been over a week now and my hands are slowly beginning to relax..so folks its starting to work with me...when you go crazy scratching try heating it under a hot hot shower ...you might just find some relief for the first time.  you know when you have had enough of the heat..the itch will subside...so dont just stick your hands in hot water...you stick your hands in  the shower under the heat..it drives you crazy..but it works...well it has for me..
I have read all your comments and i am frustrated about it, i can't stand it anymore.
i have itchiness only in the mid of my right palm (only this spot in teh middle of the palm (it is been like that for 1 year and a half, below is some description
-  my right palm is a bit dry while my left palm is ok.
- There is no rash, no water bulb nothing Only itchiness
- it get red because of teh scratching
- I sometimes use scissors, cans, knifes to scratch my hand and sometimes i peal the skin off. (when i pealed the dead sskin off i noticed it is a bit thick) i think my skin is getting thicker in the itchiness location. (not too thick though)
- i keep on scratching until it hurts and like a burning sensation
- when i scratch my palm with the scissor etc, i will have this "white powder" (dead skin cells i think)

It is really weird and hard to describe, but i am pretty sure that some of you knows what i mean

In case anyone has teh same problem and is cured please share with me

only from the extreme itching i feel that my skin is more thick now (specially in teh middle)
After mystery ailments for many years (I'm only 27), I visited a Naturopath and found out that I'm sensitive to a few foods, with wheat being the worst.

I strongly suggest for anyone experiencing the itchy palm, to consult a Naturopath or Homeopath- you have nothing to lose. I believe my itchy palm is related to a slight vitamin B12 defficiency (very common in women and linked to iron difficiencies), as well as my wheat intollerance.

It is itching like mad as I type this message.

Good luck to everyone in their quest. Please seriously consider seeing an alternative health professional- they are just as educated as our MDs and slightly more insightful.
I am a 54 year old woman and have had itchy right palm problems for YEARS.  I find that it IS compounded when I eat anything with flour (wheat) in it.  Wish I could have my cake and eat it too, but I can't unless I am willing to suffer the consequenses.  Maybe I'll try the B12 and see if it works cuz I miss cookies!!
Go to a nuerologist, I had this problem for a long time and it was an inflammed nerve in my elbow (golfer's elbow).  Doctor said I was lucky that I went in and got it fixed before I had permanent nerve damage.  It was a brace and elbow pad that I had to wear for 6 weeks until the inflammation went down.  I still have to put on the brace once in awhile when the symptoms return.  The body is amazing how it can have a problem in one place and it shows up in another.
Not sure, what is causing my itchy right palm, but it is drives me crazy sometimes. I am a 5o year old male who has had this palm issue for 7-8 years. I went to a dermatologist and he said it was a fungus and gave me some clear liquid that I had to brush on the point in my hand. Once the medicine dries, it kills the skin and anything underneath it! This has not worked. Sometimes, I get a pinpoint spot that itches like crazy and I scratch it on the corner of desks, with scissors or any other sharp object; even to the point of sticking the sharp point of a knife down into the small itchy area which seems to releive the itchiness. I have itches rubbed and peeled away the calousse skin over this area. I have used the medicine until it burned away the dermal and epidermal layers of the skin on this quarter size spot on my right hand only. But, the itchiness always comes back. It may not bother me for some time and then when it starts, it's maddening. When I bring my thumb and liitle finger together, sometimes it tingles and may seem numb in the small area as well. Any ideas.
My palm at the connection of my right index finger has been driving me crazy. No rash or bumps (and I'm sure it's not contact dermatitis) but an itch that comes and goes. After reading these posts, I'm leaning toward possibly carpel tunnel, which I never suspected. Although about 10 years ago I had tingling in my fingers that the Dr thought was an early sign. Fortunately, the problem didn't persist. Now I use the mouse scroll ball a lot so it could be that connection of the nerves. It has happened to other parts of the palm and I have had itchy feet as well in the past year. My daughter has severe food allergies, but I've never had a problem. Maybe I could have a sensitivity and not realize it. I'm going to try taking B-12 also to see if that helps.
I too suffer from this itch. Mine is only the left palm in the area between forefinger and thumb. It drives me crazy, even waking me in the night. I found hydrocortisone cream stops it, if only for a few hours.  My doctor shrugs his shoulders and says he doesn't know.  I have the "perceived bumps" under the skin while scratching, no obvious signs of damage at all. I have no relief except for the cream.
I have been experiencing itchy palms and peeling skin,particularly on my right hand.I have tiny blisters under the skin.I think it looks like contact dermatitas.I know that I have a nickel allergy and this had led me into investigating into what I have been in contact with.The only thing I can think of is my ipod.Does this ring any bells with anyone?May be you have an allergy to a metal in your ipod or mobile phone?Since I have stopped handling my ipod the itching has stopped and my palm looks much better.I have only started doing this today though,so it is early days,I just thought that this could be helpful to someone.
Hello fellow sufferers!
Just before Easter I developed this super-itchy right palm that almost drove me insane. Eventually, during the night I jammed a convenient metal object into the area which caused a clear fluid to form a crust next morning with much pain. Unfortunately I had unwittingly caused an infection which progressed over all my right hand, wrist and arm and not able to see a GP [due to the holiday] an unsightly rash eventually covered my whole body. I was prescribed a Penicillin antibiotic, twice, as well as various steroidal creams: Betnovate, Fucidin, Dermavate and currently Elocon as the wrist and palm are still causing me grief.
I have been referred to a Dermatologist but not if this is appropriate.
Have you ever heard the old folk lores? Itchy palms mean money is comming to you! Go get a powerball ticket!
Since there are so many causes try each on tf these for a weeka nd see if it helps, if not move on to the next... well since you've come this far you've probably already tried to figure out a contact cause and eliminate it, right?
1. Cortizone or Benedryl Cream
2. Peroxide or Witch Hazel
3. Vitamin B-Complex
4. De-stress and drink a few cups of Green Tea each day
5. See your doctor about: kidney, endocrine, gastro, thyroid and blood disorders.
Have you noticed most posts have to do with the right hand?  I’m right handed, but use my left hand to guide the mouse on my computer.  My left palm is itchy and red in the areas that make contact with the plastic casing….  Bath time Mr. Mouse & perhaps I’ll replace the mouse pad as well.
WOW!
LOL- My left hand has been sparadically suddenly started to itch intensely recently over the past 4 weeks.

Seemingly out of the blue I'll get an intense itch in one spot on my either foot.  An intensity where the sensation of itchiness feels HURTS.
Sometimes I feel heat as well.

My google keyword search was exactly : "palm of hand suddenly  really itchy why"
And the results yield this site. Not of high ranking, but of the web content synopsis , it contained my exact keywords, more often and in its exact order with greater accuracy than other sites.

Basically, I read all previous postings from 2009 til now.
It made me ITCHIER!!!

I wonder...if you all posted comments about how you dont itch - if  we read them, it would it make the itching stop?

...Now I know that alot of us have itchy hands...both reassuring, alarming and icky in a way.

Help us!

Maybe we should ask Oprah?
It is fantastic to finally find SOMETHING even vaguly familiar to what I have been suffering with for over 2 years now. I dont think it is taken too seriously but I am going mad.

I have a PERMANENT itchy foot - a round area approx 5 cent piece size that is always itchy, no evidence of anything there - it looks no different to the rest of my foot, but I could scratch it all the time if possible. It is always there but sometimes worse than other times. It is definately not athelets foot or fungus of any type.

I am definately going to try gluton free products and possibly benadryll and stop using iboprofen which I admit I tend to use when ill.

Please please please anyone with similar foot itch please let me know if you use anything that seems to help resolve or temporarily resolve the itch.
I might have found an explanation for some of you!

My wrists and palms have been itching for about a week and I found this site, then started searching around.  One person on here said they had Hodgkin's Disease, which I looked up on Wikipedia, which said it can cause skin itching due to 'Eosinophil' blood cells, so I looked THAT up and it said these cells can also be present when fighting a viral infection and are also associated with the mentstrual cycle too, as well as mammary development!  This seems to corellate with a lot of your complaints??  I have a chronic viral infection so it might be just about the right explanation for me.

Here's the wikipedia site!      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eosinophils  

Good luck to all!
Itchy palms is commonly caused by a rubber/latex allergy. Bicycle handle grips/rubber garden hoses/latex gloves/et cetera
I am 46 and have hot flashes as well as some emotional symptoms. In the evening hours my hands and feet begin to itch. This has been happening for approximately 3 weeks now. Having done quite a bit of research on the internet, I have also noticed that I  have hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating) at these times. Including under my breasts. I've also read where it is possible this is from peri-menopause. in this period your hormonal level is drastically changing and it is nothing strange that you are experiencing all these changes.  Possibly the stress in my life has added to these symptoms as well.
I was lying in bed last evening to awaken to the itching, noticing that my feet were sweating, I put them outside of the covers....the symptoms subsided soon. Once again in the early hours of this morning, I awoke to the same problem which was resolved by getting up and walking around a bit. I think the cool air helped to get rid of the sweat which seems to be causing the itching (at least at night) I don't seem to be affected much during the day.
I hope this helped a little.
Thank you all for your posts!
It is after 4am Hawaii time and I have been up for over an hour reading and researching what we all may be suffering from.  Someone had posted "Dyshidrotic Excema."  Please google it and review the pictures that they have available of people that have this type of excema.  I believe that I have finally found my diagnosis and from what I am reading, I believe that most of you suffer from the same thing.
I've just recently been prescribed the steroid ointment that they say may help, but have not used it enough to know if it will work.  I put it on tonight before bed because my hands were itching and here I am on the computer, unable to sleep because I was going insane scratching!!!
I feel everyones pain!  I have been so miserable since the onset of this and I am relieved to know that I am not alone in this madness.  I actually was getting depressed because I just had no idea what was going on.  Going to the doctor just frustrated me even more when he just calmly said, "Oh....sweaty palms and stress could be causing it."  If they only knew what it is like to scratch until your hands are so raw they hurt and you breakdown crying!
I will let you know how the steroid ointment works.  Honestly, it seems like there really isn't anything to cure it.
Take care everyone!  Just know that you are not alone.
My symptom of an itchy left palm usually starts with a tickle of an itch and when I give it a scratch, it just escalates more and more until I am power scratching it with a very stiff bristle hair brush. This can last for more than an hour but fortunately, only happens occasionally...once a month or less. Sometimes I can go months without it happening. I am 53 and I remember having this happen to me since a young age...maybe as early as 12? Never could figure out a correlation. Strange thing is that it is ONLY my left hand palm but the itch does move around as I scratch, to the fingers then back to the wrist area before always returning to the general palm area. I noticed that no one mentioned scratching with a very stiff-bristled hair brush and for those of you using a knife or the corner of a table top, this is much safer and a more satifying scratching device. I've tried ice...cold seems to help sometime. I've even tried not to scratch when I notice that initial tickle feeling and with enough will power I sometimes don't get the full blown itch starting.
As for cures, it could be anxiety related and although I doubt it's related, I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 24. Well, until we discover a cure, good luck with the brush for a scratching device.
I have itchy palms and both my palms have dry skin, the doctors give me creams and tell me to use them for 2-3 weeks, but nothing works.
I have figured out that when I take a shower at night is when it starts. I take a quick shower they are fine, a long shower and they start itching as I am drying off, then it gets worse and worse to where I am using a pair of scissors to scratch them and I just want to scream. They feel better after about 30-45 minutes as long as I stay away from water.
Anyone figure out a cure yet??
If you experience anything like itchy plams, try to put your mind together, there is a money coming your way.. palms itch when they're expecting money.. thats our believe and its true. try it.
itching palm and feet? please help.   I tried everyting from benadryl. allegra, xyzal  and my Dr. gave me methylprednisolone.  I took all, but the symtom doesnt goes away.  Does anyone know in here knows what happens to me and how do i cured this.  HELP HELP

***@****
Well I know alot of these posts are old, so I'm hoping alot of you are no longer suffering from this but both of my palms have been extremly itchy and burning without any type of visual skin problem, no bumps, hives or blisters. But maximum strength lanacne anti-bacterial first aid spray really helps relieve the symptoms for me. I'm a nurse and esthetcian I'm also going to start a systemic body cleanse and take some prenatal vitamins incase its a vitamin deficency because the prenatals have an extra dose of just about everything and see if those work to get to the root of the problem. Best of luck to all.
For seven years I asked my doctor for help with the following symptoms:  (1) extreme pain in my left shoulder; (2) pain and discomfort just below my ribcage on the left side; (3) bright red itching palms (itching so intense it felt like my hands were on fire); (4) intense itching on my shins; (5) awful diarrhea; and (6) tired all the time.  The doctor looked at my heart, but didn't seem to know what to do about all these seemingly unrelated symptoms.  He finally thought to perform a thyroid test and found that I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's thyroiditis).  The medication seemed to help the itchy shins some, but nothing else.  I continued to complain about the symptoms.  The pain in my left shoulder had gotten so bad that I was taking two Tylenol five times a day just to get through the day.  The last time I saw that doctor, he told me my shoulder problem was my rotator cuff, and he handed me a sheet of exercises I couldn't do and sent me on my way.  A couple weeks later, I went to a Sports Medicine Clinic.  The doctor there diagnosed my shoulder as a badly frozen shoulder in 20 minutes.  Physical therapy to break the shoulder loose was brutal.  My other symptoms went on for several more years with doctors shrugging them off.  My husband thought I was a hypochondriac.  I got the feeling the doctors thought I was a hypochondriac too.  I finally found a doctor who was willing to listen to me and take me seriously.  He asked if I had ever been tested for food allergies.  I said no.  He said there was a lab in the area that sold a kit for testing for multiple food allergies from a single blood draw.  He said it wasn't covered by insurance and asked if I wanted to pay for it myself anyway.  I said I absolutely wanted to know if I had any food allergies, so it was worth it to me to pay for it out of pocket (under $200).  The results astonished both the doctor and me.  I am allergic to GLUTEN, ALL DAIRY, EGG YOLKS & WHITES, a couple kinds of NUTS and a few other things, but those are the biggies.  I tried excluding all of the above foods from my diet for awhile, and all of my symptoms except being tired all the time went away.  Since then, I stay away from eggs most of the time, and I only eat a tiny bit of dairy because it's hard to avoid completely.  The last time I tried to drink a milkshake, I became bloated, gassy and had abdominal pain.  GLUTEN, though, seems to be the major culprit with me, with BREAD being the worst thing I could possibly eat.  GLUTEN accounts for the pain under my left ribcage, the itchy shins and palms, and the diarrhea.  Please, please, please try cutting bread and all things GLUTEN out of your diet for a week or so and see if that helps.  It costs nothing, and it just might be the answer you're looking for.  
Hi there Kevin here, delighted im not on my own with this, going mad here, had this feckin itch for 3 weeks now, hurts too (red patch size of small coin just under skin) Started with two patches on each palm, but down to one on left hand now. Also have a general itch all over at times but with less intensity. It reminded me of cellulitis i saw on a few cases i treated. A common cause of itch is liver damage from alcohol :) and/or meds overuse as liver metabolizes both, also a common side effect of most common meds taken is itch, am........ also increased uric acid in the body (meat has alot of this).  Suggest liver function test and or anti histamines or cortisone lotion. calimine lotion also if you've got some aloe vera that could do the trick o'natural
Canesten (as in, cream for yeast infections/thrush) works even tho its not for this. You may want to ask a female friend, wife, mother, sister, etc to buy you some Canesten thrush cream and give it a try!
If not BENADRYL Pill form works too. Although same results in drowseness so could try Aveeno Skin Relief if driving. Hmmm one more thing, if preggers (to use technical term) could be cholestasis, which is a liver disorder some pregnant girls get the odd time due to a build up of bile acids in the blood. When you sweat, it irritates the skin. The buildup is the result of stress on the liver coz its now cleaning your body for two. If in labour at the moment and reading this (congrats by the way) if Benadryl doesn't help, call your dr, and ask for a liver function screen. Sometimes if this is bad enough they will induce you early. thats all i can think of at the mo. oh ya i used to do general nursing, best a luck with it. Mine is caused by elevated guinness levels in the blood. Remedy is get barred from pub :)  
This won't apply to everyone...but I think most of the people with the complaint of itchy palms or soles of feet where there is sometimes no visible bumps etc. It is my feeling that you have developed an allergy to something. This happened to me as well a number of years ago (and still does from time to time but less severe). I was experiencing severe allergies in an old leaky moldy house. I don't know for sure what the trigger was...but I went through everything from avoiding preservatives to dairy...to certain beer...other foods etc. It was so bad I got hives all around my waistline. Another ANNOYING symptom was hives on the bottom of my feet and hand. At first I didn't know I had hives because there was no visible sign... just that my bottom of my feet and palms were very itchy, and in fact the itchiness happened before, during, and slightly after the hives. Once I eliminated a bunch of things from my diet...repaired the roof and did my best to remove mold and dust etc...they eventually went away. I have never been able to define exactly what I am allergic to...mainly because of how allergies work. I think I am mildly allergic to a number of things...and once my body gets it's fill of a combination of triggers...it says "f___ you...I'm gonna make you pay now". That's when all these symptoms occur. Eliminate triggers...and you will probably start to feel better. I have battled with allergies for years...including mild allergies (confirmed by allergist) to bees and peanuts...and it's not easy. I have had shots...the whole works...so much of this is from my experience and discussions with doctors and allergists. I hope this helps someone out there.
I too have had problems over the years with itchy, blistery palms.  I have seen all kinds of specialists, but nobody could give me a definitive answer.  Then, at work today, a coworker noticed my hands.  She has had the same problem.  As one poster mentioned above, it's called Dyshidrosis.  Check wikipedia and mayoclinic.com.  Water will aggravate the condition.  My coworker's doctor had her wear gloves when she showered.  I think for most of us we tend to wash our hands more hoping to clear up the condition or prevent spreading it to others, all the while making our problem worse.  
As has been sad before I'm pretty sure a lot of people with the itch and flesh coloured bumps have this http://www.skinsight.com/teen/dyshidroticDermatitis.htm
Treatment

There are many treatments available for dyshidrosis, however, few of them have been developed or tested specifically on the condition.
Cut nails as short as possible cleaning under and around them daily with baking soda. Apply a paste of baking soda and water to the affected areas, twice a day for three days. After 5 minutes rinse and carefully pat dry paying special attention to the area in between the fingers or other possible places moisture may remain. If rash spreads to a new area recommence applying to both old and new areas leaving a large border around effected areas. Continue to clean hands daily with baking soda for a week paying special attention to the areas around and under the nails. Avoid itching as this will cause rash to spread.
Topical steroids[3] - while useful, can be dangerous long-term due to the skin-thinning side-effects, which are particularly troublesome in the context of hand dyshidrosis, due to the amount of toxins and bacteria the hands typically come in contact with.
Nutritional deficiencies may be related, so addressing diet and vitamin intake is helpful.
Potassium permanganate dilute solution soaks - also popular, and used to 'dry out' the vesicles,[4] and kill off superficial staphylococcus aureus,[5] but it can also be very painful. Undiluted it may cause significant burning.[6]
Domeboro (OTC) helps alleviate itching in the short term, and can help to quicken the natural healing process. The active ingredient in Domeboro is aluminum acetate, also found in Burow's solution, an OTC antistringent available at most drug stores. Either product is effective in helping to dry out the blisters which leads to faster healing. Affected areas should be soaked in Domeboro or Borow's solution for 20–30 minutes several times a day to be effective.
Emollients during the drying/scaling phase of the condition, to prevent cracking and itching. While petroleum jelly may work well as a barrier cream, it does not absorb into the skin or allow it to breathe, so may actually be less helpful.
Salt soaks - maintaining palms for 40 minutes to an hour immersed in a salt solution of 1/4 salt dissolved in water. Repeating treatment for 3–4 days or additionally if required. It is best to soak only the palm and avoid exposing the top of the hand to the saline solution as salt can severely dry and irritate the skin on the top of the hand.
White vinegar soaks
Avoidance of known triggers - dyshidrosis sufferers may need to abstain from washing their own hair or bodies, or wearing gloves when they do so, however waterproof gloves are often potential irritants.
Zinc oxide ointment
Nickel-free diets
no sugar, no flour and no fruit diet
Alcohol and caffeine free diets
When in the scaling phase of the condition, the scales may cause deep cracks and fissures in the skin. Filing (as with an emery board) may help to minimize this.
Stress management counseling
Light treatment: UVA-1, PUVA, Grenz rays, Low Level Light Therapy using a Red + NIR (LED) combination
Ciclosporin a strong immunosuppressant drug used to combat dyshidrosis caused by ulcerative colitis
Efalizumab (Raptiva) a medication used to treat psoriasis
Clobetasol Propionate (0.05%) (potent corticosteroid cream or ointment ) has been an effective treatment.
Tacrolimus and Pimecrolimus, immunomodulators often used to prevent organ rejection in topical, ointment form, may be used in severe cases.
Betamethasone Dipropionate, and creams that contain it such as Lotrisone (which also contains an antifungal Clotrimazole) has worked in some cases.
Dapsone (diamino-diphenyl sulfone) is an antibacterial sulfonamide. It has been recommended for the treatment of dyshidrosis in some chronic cases.[7]
Unbleached cotton gloves may be used to cover the hands to prevent scratching and vulnerability of the skin to bacteria
Plantain (Plantago major) infused in olive or other oil can be soothing.
Frequent application of a barrier cream can protect against irritants while allowing the skin to breathe.
Avoid metal computer keyboards and track pads which contain nickel.
When affect area is itchy, apply a mixture of hemp oil and vaseline, cover with finger condom. Replace every two hours and leave uncovered for a half-hour between applications.
Ingest 1-4 tablespoons of hemp oil daily. Use straight or mixed with other substances, like a smoothie.
Many sufferers of dyshidrosis will find that treatments that were previously suitable for them no longer work or have induced sensitive reactions, which is common in most types of eczema.
It may be prudent to wear light cotton gloves while reading newspapers, books and magazines. The inks and paper may irritate the condition.
Wash affected hands and feet with cool water and apply a moisturizer as soon as possible. While hot water seems to kill the itch it may aggravate the condition.
Avoid moisturizers that contain water (cremes and lotions). Stick with ointments. Use only thin applications of ointments as excessive amounts of ointment may restrict breathing of the skin and aggravate the condition.
Aloe Vera may be applied after cleaning hands
When itchy or inflamed 100% lavender oil can be applied occasionally to soothe and reduce irritation for those who are not sensitive to the oil making sure to pat excess oil with a tissue. A patch test on the wrist is recommended before application to the palms.
Saline solution for washing hands may be very useful.
Avoid soaps with Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS). Many pump style soaps and common shampoos contain SLS.
'Toctino' alitretinoin 9-cis-retinoic acid has been approved for prescription in the UK. (08/09/2008) This is specifically for chronic hand eczema. It is made by Basilea of Switzerland (BAL 4079)
Rinsing the affected areas briefly in surgical spirit is very effective. It will work to clear up the blisters within hours if they have been pricked open first.
I have had an itchy palm on my right hand for many years. I have a couple of spots, not blisters, on my hand. The spots are skin color, and can be removed, but it comes back. The spots do not itch, but it itches near the spots. The spots are very small, about the size of the end of a writing pen. I do have one of these spots on one of my fingers, but it does not itch. I have not yet found out what this may be. Can anyone help with this?
Amazing...with all of us   a university or someone must want to find out what this is..
maybe we need to co late some info about ourselves  and poss triggers..
What do you thing?
So True!! I also have had this itching and it is horrible at night!! Wow with such a response you would think the cure is assured. I personally feel it is nero- related or autoimmune or possibly related to a storage disease? Its internal so it doesn't seem to be allergy related. I will research gene abnormalities with this type of reaction.....on a philosophical maybe were all chosen for a reason? :)
Found this!

Though the primary source for the itchy hands and feet is external in these cases, an internal tendency for the skin to be irritated has to be there for the itching and other changes to manifest in such cases.

Endogenous Causes for Itchy Palms and Soles

The internal causes for the itchy palms and soles are more difficult to discern. These include systemic and psychological disturbances at times:

Read on
How to Find the Cause of Itchy Palms and Soles
Pompholyx
Causes of Hand Eczema
Systemic causes for itchy palms and soles. Chronic kidney failure, liver diseases, endocrine disturbances like hyper or hypothyroidism, blood disorders including polycythemia vera, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, leukemias, multiple myeloma and cutaneous mastocystosis cause generalized itching; which can, at times, start as itching of the palms and soles. Itching of the palms and soles and elsewhere on the body may be a presenting symptom of HIV infection and Crohn’s disease. Atopic dermatitis, senile pruritus and aquagenic pruritus can present with itchy palms and soles, in addition to generalized itching all over the body.
Idiopathic causes for itchy palms and soles. Many a time, itching of the palms and soles appear without any apparent causes. These are called idiopathic itchy palms and soles.
Psychogenic causes for itchy palms and soles. Stress and anxiety can induce, aggravate and maintain persistent itchy palms and soles, in the absence of any skin rashes.
Vitamin Deficiency. Vitamin deficiency, especially that of Vitamin B12, B1 and B6 can cause burning and itching sensations of the hands and feet.
Dyshidrotic. Palmoplantar hyperhidrosis, the increased sweating of the palms and soles, can cause eczematous itchy dermatitis on the palms and soles.
The above discussion brings out a salient point: look beyond the skin if the cause of the itchy palms and soles are not readily apparent.

Other Skin Conditions Causing Itchy Palms and Soles
Other major skin conditions that cause itchy palms and soles are:

Palmoplantar psoriasis: Thick hyperkeratotic scaly plaques with painful fissuring and varying grades of itching can occur in psoriasis affecting the palms and soles.
Ring worm of the hands and feet: Itchy rounded scaly skin patches involving both the palms and soles and also the back of the hands and feet occur in ring worm infestation of the hands and feet. Sometimes the scales are delicate and at other times thick and hyperkeratotic.
Scabies. Itching of the hands, especially on the finger webs, may be the presenting symptom of scabies. The typical nocturnal itching may be present even before any tell tale bumps and burrows of the mites appear on the skin.
Lichen planus, can cause severe itchy palms and soles, along with violaceous or pigmented skin rashes.
Candidal intertrigo: Commonly seen in housewives and hair dressers, candidal infection of the finger web spaces and toe web spaces in house cleaners and agricultural workers can cause itchy or burning palms and soles.
Itchy Palms and Soles without Skin Changes
Sometimes both the doctor and patient are perplexed when itchy palms and soles present without any noticeable skin changes. The skin of palms and soles being thick, most of the time itching precedes appearance of skin changes by hours to days in contact dermatitis, pompholyx , scabies etc. In psychogenic itchy palms and soles, the skin changes may never appear. In systemic causes, including drug allergies, there may only be a mild redness of the skin, while the itching may be unbearable on the palms and soles. Generalized itching without skin rash may also be present in such cases.

Finding the exact cause of itchy palms and soles will help in planning effective management strategies for this intriguing skin problem.