Dermatology Expert Forum
Indentation on bridge of nose

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Indentation on bridge of nose

I've worn eyeglasses for many years and as a result, I have developed two dark indentation marks on the bridge of my nose caused by the eyeglass pads.  I haven't been able to get these marks off and they appear to be almost permanent marks of discoloration.  I do wear contacts now most of the time, but I still, however, wear eyeglasses.  I wear eyeglasses mostly at night when I want to do some reading so as to avoid falling asleep with my contacts in or if an emergency situation develops wear I can not wear my contacts.  Being highly inexperienced with regards to dermetological matters, I've tried to use acohol-free skin toners in a foolish attempt to somehow "make the dark areas more even" with the rest of skin, but that attempt proved useless.  In fact, doing that made the area a bit darker.  What are some name-brand products that I could possibly use to remedy this situation?  Would I need to use some sort of bleaching cream? If so, what are some common products available that are fairly safe to use that can be purchased over the counter or some credible websites that you know of that sell these products?

Also, If I may add I have been told that the eyeglasses that I wear are coated with nickel and that has been known to cause allergic reactions in some individuals.  I have indeed noticed that my glasses have left marks on the sides of my head that are dark in nature and also appear to be permanent and similar to the marks on my nose.  Any suggestions regarding how I should go about this matter would be greatly appreciated.  
You can try hydroquinone 2%, which is available in over-the-counter creams, but frankly, I think that even prescription-strength skin lighteners probably won't help much.  A nickel allergy would cause redness and scaling, not just pigmentation.  I suggest a visit to a dermatologist to find out for sure, but I suspect you're just going to have to live with it, or camouflage it with glasses or makeup, if it bothers you enough.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Ok thank you Dr. Rockoff.  I suppose then that I do not have an allergic reaction because all I have is just the pigmentation issue.  Perhaps with time this will go away.  
Dr. Rockoff,

Would a stronger prescription perhaps be of use? Say hydroquinone 4%?