Infant Cyst (??)

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Infant Cyst (??)

I have a 3 month old son and he has a small pea shapped "object" under his skin on the back of his head. Almost where his head and neck meet. When we touch it, it appears to move around. We are thinking this could be a cyst and non-harmful, but on the other hand we are concerned it may not be. Any thoughts?!!

Thank you!
It can be a small sebaceous cyst, lipoma or a swollen lymph node due to some recent viral or bacterial infection. There is nothing to worry but if it increases in size or becomes painful or discharges, then a pediatrician should be consulted. In the meantime you can apply warm compresses on the mobile lump.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

My five month old baby just had an ultra sound on her lump in the back of her head. The radiologist thought it could be a sebaceous cyst. It doesn't move, it's completely solid feeling, but the pictures made it appear fluid filled. I did some research and it sounds like applying warm compresses for 15 minutes twice a day could help, or it could also lead to an infection of the cyst. I have'nt had my follow up consult yet to find out if it needs to be removed or if it can stay there and not harm my baby. Please post what the results were with your baby.