Dermatology Expert Forum
Infant Penile Swelling

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Infant Penile Swelling
We just noticed a day and or 2 ago that the soft tissue between the crown of the penis and the shaft area of my infant of three and 1/2 weeks old has become swollen.  The crown of the penis also seems slightly blue, although any color change is marginal.  We had him circumcised 2 days after birth, and he was doing fine.  After two weeks of A & D ointment his penis looked great.  It has only been recently that the soft tissue between the head and shaft has become swollen.  The baby does not appear in any discomfort, only his parents.    

He currently has thrush, and displays a white tongue in the mouth, which we are treating with the contents of 1/2 acidiphilous capsules spread on the mouth once a day.

Any suggestions, we are going to see a doctor later on today if possible.
I'm really not sure what this mens, though if the baby's not uncomfortable, I can't imagine it's anything more than mild irritation, if that.  Your doctor should be able to clarify matters readily enough.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks Dr. Rockford,

Doctor concurred with your analysis.  Just irritation owed to wet diaper, and heat.  

thanks