Infected Blister?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Infected Blister?

I know this isn't the place for Doctor-Patient medical advice but a direction to stab in would be helpful. A week and a half ago my grandmother fell outside and bruised her leg up quite a bit. She could walk on it that day and a few days afterwards with minimal trouble but about three to four days afterwards, she no longer could. Her lower leg and ankle became swollen and red, and the impact site developed a nearly perfectly round blister filled with orangeish fluid.

I convinced her to go to her physician, they lanced the blister and put a bandage on it, giving her some antibiotics to take and instructions to use ice pack. A week after it is still oozing, even after daily cleaning and application of topical medicine and icepacks, her ankle is still swollen, the skin is still red and inflamed. Today the ... skin that went over the blister, that's always dead anyway, sloughed off while cleaning it, and below is still angry looking. The site of impact doesn't hurt her, further down on her leg, which was never struck, does. She is to go back to the doctor again for a checkup in another week and a half or so but given there's been absolutely no healing progress by this time, and things have in fact seemed to get worse, I'm beginning to get worried.

I've been taking photos of her bruising and leg for the past several days when I change her bandages, and can provide links, if they'll help. Primarily I'm hoping to find out if this is normal for impact blisters (do impact blisters exist?), and the length of time healing, or if I need to start pushing her to go to the doctor again Right Now. Or tomorrow, at least, instead of waiting for her appointment.
I would take her to the doctors as soon as possible. It could be infected and if you keep waiting another week it could get worse , very quickly, and infection could spread. You want to get to it now while you can. Good luck.
She is already on anti-infection medication given to her the first time she went. :/
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it looks like infected blister or infected skin. I suggest you to consult your grandmother’s doctor as soon as possible and get a swab culture of the wound sample done. She needs to get incision and drainage done and the specific antibiotics prescribed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Ironically, Dr. Kaur, right before your post I had managed to get her to agree to see her physician again, and we went at about 10:30 this morning.

He and his nurse both said that both the leaking blister and swelling (and the redness and pain) are typical and that she's healing, not getting worse as it seems. We were informed that the blister wound may ooze for weeks, as well, due to the nature of the blister and impact injury and such. Part of me feels his examination was cursory at best, but my grandmother took it as proof that she doesn't need to go back any time soon now.

Hopefully everything will turn out as well as he said.
I really think you should go to another doctor for a second opinion...

some infections will spread and can cause irreversible damage. it's not good to mess around with an oozing sore. good luck.