Infected cut on finger - what's to be done about this?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I cut my finger (on the knuckle) some weeks back, My entire finger became swollen, with a red bump where the cut is, and both sides of the knuckle also swollen, with there being a small red rash at the base of the finger.  It hurts whenever there is pressure on the finger or when I bend it.

I went to the doctor's last week and he said it was an infection of the cut and prescribed a week-long course of flucloxacillin which I have been following and is due to end tomorrow. However, the finger, while initially showed signs of improvement the first day I started the antibiotics, has now reverted to its original, painful, swollen state.

I am planning to visit the doctor again soon to have it re-examined but would appreciate any advice as to what this could be (as I have doubts about my doctor!).
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The organism responsible for the infection seems to be not responding to the antibiotic. You  need to go back to your doctor for further evaluation.  You may be given a stronger antibiotic or you stay on the same medication but with prolonged course. This will depend on the examination done. Are there other symptoms present? It is important that you rest your affected finger  and keep it clean and dry. If the cut is deep, you may also want to ask regarding your anti-tetanus booster.

Take care and keep us posted.
Hi Rowena,

My GP has sent me to get an X-ray to rule out a bone infection. The only problem is that the results will be out in 7 days and he doesn't want to do anything till then. I'll be going to another doctor to get a second opinion as I don't think I want to wait that long!

As for other symptoms, the area around the wound is purplish-red, while there are tiny blisters on either side of the wound. The finger can't bend or straighten fully, and it's also a little lumpy (by that, I mean, some parts of the finger are harder than others). The wound has scabbed over with what I think is yellowish dried up pus, which has been the case for over a week now.

I wish I could rest the finger; unfortunately, it's on the hand I use the most!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Its good that you had your finger x-rayed. This will help narrow down the differentials. To be able to reach a diagnosis, a complete medical history, physical examination and some tests are needed.  I do understand that it is difficult to rest the affected hand, but this will help with the healing process. Try to rest if possible. Do update us with the results. Take care and regards.
Hi there.  What did they end up saying about your finger.  I have the same issue.  It hurts so bad I can hardly stand it.  I cut it a few months ago and the wound took a while to heal. I cleaned it often.  I totally forgot about it.  Then it is all of a sudden swollen and lumpy turning purple and hurts terribly.  Work says they will pay for my dr. visit but I cant go til friday.  any advice?
What happens to your finger?