Dermatology Expert Forum
Infected facial hair follicles (in-grown hairs)

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dr. Rockoff,

Having just came across your site and excellent Q&A, I would like to submit my own problem. In fact, I have a similiar problem to mpkim submitted in Dec 2006. While I will certainly agree that OCP is not helping this situation, there is definitely a problem.

A few years ago, I started getting in-grown hairs out of nowhere and they have gotten progressively worse. While I am not at the level of mpkim, I have found that certain hairs have no place to go. I, too, have found a few of these mucous coated hairs that are "stuck" under the skin. While many of my infected hair follicles have a certain jelly coating if tweezed, they mostly are not completely ungrown. However, I have had at least 10 of these shortened, completely mucous coated hairs in my neck over the past year. I usually never notice them until there is either a red spot or raised area on the neck. I do not go looking for them and they seem to be in the same place when they return. This leads me to believe there is an issue with a few hair follicles.

That being said, I have tried erythromycin, bactroban and neosporin with no remedy. The area heals slowly and is red for a while. Is it possible that this is caused by a staph infection? Are my follicles damaged and spilling bacteria causing the inflammation? Again, I have definitely been consumed by this, but something is clearly wrong here.

Thanks for your Help!

Dewey24
Hairs don't ingrow unless they are yanked out by the roots.  When I hear people speak of infected hair follicles that are mucus-coated that are stuck under the skin, I feel I am dealing with someone who is likely pulling the hairs out.  This results in an inflame red bump, which you indeed describe.  Here's a suggestion: for a period of 45 days, leave all these hairs absolutely and strictly alone.  I assure you that no harm will come to you for having done so.  Then, if there is anything left to show a dermatologist, please do so.  But no squeezing or plucking, or else the doctor will not be able to tell what you have.  I'm not sure where these hairs are, but if they're in the groin or on the neck, for instance, long-term hair reduction using a laser may be worth considering.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Ingrown Hairs- Laser treatment? was started.