Dermatology Expert Forum
Infected facial hair follicles (in-grown hairs)
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Infected facial hair follicles (in-grown hairs)

Dr. Rockoff,

Having just came across your site and excellent Q&A, I would like to submit my own problem. In fact, I have a similiar problem to mpkim submitted in Dec 2006. While I will certainly agree that OCP is not helping this situation, there is definitely a problem.

A few years ago, I started getting in-grown hairs out of nowhere and they have gotten progressively worse. While I am not at the level of mpkim, I have found that certain hairs have no place to go. I, too, have found a few of these mucous coated hairs that are "stuck" under the skin. While many of my infected hair follicles have a certain jelly coating if tweezed, they mostly are not completely ungrown. However, I have had at least 10 of these shortened, completely mucous coated hairs in my neck over the past year. I usually never notice them until there is either a red spot or raised area on the neck. I do not go looking for them and they seem to be in the same place when they return. This leads me to believe there is an issue with a few hair follicles.

That being said, I have tried erythromycin, bactroban and neosporin with no remedy. The area heals slowly and is red for a while. Is it possible that this is caused by a staph infection? Are my follicles damaged and spilling bacteria causing the inflammation? Again, I have definitely been consumed by this, but something is clearly wrong here.

Thanks for your Help!

Dewey24