Dermatology Expert Forum
Infected hair follicule

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Infected hair follicule

I have in the past plucked a few hairs from the 'underbelly' of my penis one night.  Unfortunately, two instances of ingrown hairs came from it.  One of them has been a problem i've had for well over 3 possibly 4 years now, at least.
I had been squeezing out the pus, until i decided to leave it alone and not squeeze it, I am unsure of the date or year that i stopped squeezing it. it has to be over a year, possibly 2.  well, this ingrown hair or damaged follicle is now rather large and quite pus filled and has not healed.

i had helped the other ingrown hair to emerge by using a rag doused w/ hot salt water.  i had done this several days in a row until the pustule essentially became an open wound and there i could see the hair curled back into the skin.  I pulled the end out growing back in & have not had any more problems with it.  However, on this larger one I'm afraid more serious damage has occurred.

I have been hesitant to attempt OTC medication for this, as I've read that these can be harsh.  The penis being such a sensitive area, that thought naturally worries me.  I have been extremely self conscious of it.  

Would this be too sensitive of an area for laser removal?  
What would be my best option at this point?  

Your best option right now is to leave the penis alone for a month.  You are not helping your cause by all these manipulations.  On the other hand, you haven't done any permanent damage either.  It is possible to laser away hair on the penis, and that may be something to look into.  However, my preference in such cases is to do nothing, since nothing needs to be done.  You don't have to extract the contents of these follicles, but if you can't stop, then you should look into hair removal.  By the way, the 'pus' that's still in the spot you stopped squeezing may well just be cyst contents, not actual pus--both look the same.  That too can/should be left alone.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff

picture of above.
the image is sufficiently cropped.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4895/dsc0072dj1.jpg