Dermatology Expert Forum
Infection of Wart on toe
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Infection of Wart on toe

I have a wart on third finger of my foot. Earlier I thought it was a corn and used corn caps. Later my physician told me that it is a wart. He administered me a skin ointment ( Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Ointment) and antibiotics. However in last few days, the skin around the wart has grown whitish and painful. Doc changed to administer another set of antibiotics and says that only when this infection subsides, surgical removal will be done.
Are antibiotics and zinc ointment the right medicine to administer? Is there any way other than surgical removal for treatment of wart? Why does such an infection take place - can it be because of antibiotics?
Related Discussions
  • aful wart (2 replies):
    hello i have a big wart in my right hand under my nai...[more]
  • question (4 replies):
    once you get rid of the warts or treat the warts do they...[more]
  • Warts (1 replies):
    I have warts on my hands and recently noticed that the s...[more]
  • Wart won't go (2 replies):
    I have been trying to get rid of this wart for a while b...[more]
  • Plantar's Warts (1 replies):
    I am pretty sure I have a plantar's wart on my foot and ...[more]
242489_tn?1210500813
I have never actually seen a wart get infected--and I've seen a lot of warts.  The changes you describe may inflammation, psooibly from trauma, or perhaps from the wart's getting ready to go away spontaneously.  I usually avoid surgery for warts, in favor of something less invasive, like freezing with liquid nitrogen.  Perhpas you should consider getting another opinion.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers