Inflamation in armpit that reoccurs a few times a year

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have had this happen 3 times this year and hope this is not a staph infection.
I get a red inflamation (inflammation) in my armpit a few times a year. It does not itch. It feels and looks like a burn but does not blister and has no pus or anything that oozes from it. It starts small and hen the inflamation (inflammation) makes a red circle around the entire armpit.

I put Neosporin ointment on it the last time this occurred for 4 days. The redness and burning went away, Then the skin became very dry and scaley where it was red and the skin flaked off and it healed. Could this be the Merca staph infection? It always goes away when I put this ointment on it....or could it be caused by something internal?

This discussion is related to Armpit rash, internal problem?.
my 13 year old son has the exact same thing right now and I just spoke with his doctor and he told me to give him some benadryl and put cortisone cream on it. If it did not help within the hour , he wanted me to take him to a emergency clinic because he did not like the way it sounded. I thought I would look on the internet for information before I took him and I came across your post. maybe if I find any info. I will let you know.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

There are many causes that needs to be ruled out. Are there other signs or symptoms present? Friction is the most common cause wherein skin rubbing against skin generates heat and sweat which could lead to redness and pain. Fungal infection, on the other hand,  thrive in   warm and moist areas.Diagnosis is usually through obtaining skin scrapings of the lesion and evaluating it under the microscope.
If caused by fungus, the redness and associated itch will be more gradual. This has a tendency to recur.  Treatment of fungal infection may requires about 4 weeks of local antifungal medications. It would be best to have it evaluated by your doctor for proper management. Take careand keep us posted.