Dermatology Expert Forum
Inflamed, red tender glans(glands) of penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I first noticed the problem about three weeks ago.  Late one night, I was masturbating without lubrication, and a few hours later I woke up and felt pain coming from the glans (glands) of my penis.  I noticed that it was red with inflammation around the glans (glands) where it meets the shaft, and was very tender to the touch.  The corona is raised, red and tender, both before, during, and after an erection.  Since that time it has continued to bother me whenever my penis comes into contact with anything, including my boxers or pants as I walk around, making it very uncomfortable.  

I should also tell you that I had unprotected oral sex (giving and receiving) with a prostitute in Bangkok about three months ago.  I had not had any symptoms (discharge, itching, etc.) of any STDs before this glans (glands) inflammation.  Another thing is that about a week before I noticed the glans (glands) inflammation, I broke out with my first oral herpes attack.  I had a few small blisters above my lip, and some localized areas of lip inflammation.  

I've included some recent pictures:  
http://img85.exs.cx/img85/156/IMG_1283.jpg
http://img85.exs.cx/img85/8528/IMG_1277.jpg

Please let me know what you think is going on.  Reading the other posts, I thought it was inflammation secondary to masturbation without lubrication.  So I've been cutting down on masturbation (used to be almost daily) to about twice a week (with lubrication), and I've been treating it with lotion and 1% hydrocortisone, but its been a month and there's been no real improvement.  Should I stop masturbating and any sexual activity altogether?  Based on the history and pictures, do you think I need to get tested for STDs?  

Thanks for your time, and please let me know whats going on as soon as you can.
"Inflammation secondary to masturbation without lubrication" sounds about right--that's what the pictures suggest, near as I can tell.  If the hydrocortisone hasn't helped in a month, I would stop and just use moisturizing lotion.  Cut down on masturbation and lubricate thoroughly before sex.  The oral herpes is not relevant.  Get a dermatologist to look at you in person, for definitive diagnosis and, if necessary, treatment.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I had unprotected sex with a girl which I did not know well. 10 days after my penis head started itching. Later on it got inflammed and red and it is still itchy. It has been almost 20 days since I had sex and still my penis is red, inflamed and itchy. What I am suppose to do? Thank you very much for your time. I am waitin hearing from you soon.
A related discussion, glance penis looking red was started.