Ingrown Hair?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Ingrown Hair?

I reposted on my old thread in another forum, but wasn't getting a response. Can someone please take a read through my current headache? :)

I recently had a bout of razor-rash on my pubic area after shaving: about 5-6 marks, most of them slightly red, flush with the skin (not raised), and about the size of a ball point pen-head. There's one bump, however, that's giving me some concern. I think it may be an ingrown hair: I've had it for several weeks; it first appeared as a small whitehead. I tried popping it, thinking it was a pimple. It didn't pop, so I left it alone. It wasn't bothering me and I forgot about it. I shaved my pubic area again and noticed the bump was red and irritated. It was raised and still looked pimple-ish, but the head was no longer white, it was red. I tried a different tactic: two days in a row, I treated it with a hot compress for about a minute before I went to bed and it improved dramatically. The "swelling" went down and it too became almost flush with the skin around it; the redness was reduced as well. However, today at work I went to the bathroom to check on it and found a dried, clear layer of pus (or something like) covering it. I removed the dried layer gently and now the bump looks like the other razor rash spots I have in the area. Is this the normal life cycle of an ingrown hair? Or a particularly bad razor bump? Thank you!
It looks like a sebaceous cyst. Apply warm compresses, Neosporin ointment and calamine lotion and avoid messing with it. You can take anti-inflammatory pain killers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. If the lump persists then it will be best to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for the response! I kept up treating it with a hot compress before bed, and washed my pubic area with sensitive skin soap instead of my normal soap. The troubling bump has now disappeared. I've gotten in the habit of not shaving as often and apply vitamin E oil after I do. Thanks again!