Ingrown Hair

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Ingrown Hair

What is TOPISAL OINTMENT for? And can it be used for ingrown hair? How to use it and how many times a day?

Topisal ointment contains clobetasol(corticosteroid) and salicylic acid.It is not indicated for ingrown hair and is a very high potency steroid.So pls use it only after a dermatologist’s evaluation. For ingrown hair, cleanse the area thoroughly and apply a good mild exfoliating scrub on that.Then apply wet warm compresses. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries
Thank you for your assistance.
I have been to the dermatologist’s various time for the same problem, but they always suggest me to go for laser hair removal, which is very expensive and i don't want to take that option.
So i finally searched a lot about ingrown hair over internet and found that salicylic acid and Glycolic Acid lotions/creams can help a lot.
So i bought this lotion named Glyaha Lotion from the chemist and used it (twice a day) from 3March - 25March, which did reduce the marks i had on my legs(i have this problem only on my lower legs).
Then i read about many products like Tend Skin and PFB Vanish and MANY more which are as i read perfect for ingrown hair but i unfortunately didn't get these products here in New Delhi, India.
So i finally ended up buying this cream Topisal ointment, which was suggested by the chemist, but was not sure about the same.
So i tried to find out the information about this ointment on internet but couldn't find anything. So, this might sound stupid to you but i started using it on 25th March (twice a day) and would not use any further after reading your post.
And have decided not to go for wax on my lower half legs now on and i would be using Anne French Hair removing cream.
Can you please suggest if using Anne French Hair removing cream on the effected area would be a beneficial or not?? and secondly please suggest some good products for the Bump and marks and ingrown hair on my legs which i can easily get here in New Delhi, India.
Waiting for the prompt response.
Thank you so much for all you help.
Thank you for your assistance.
Waiting for the prompt response.
Thank you so much for all you help.
Please do answer.

You can use any depilatory creams like Anne French for removal of hair and ingrown hair on the legs.But do a patch test before using this cream so as to prevent irritant contact dermatitis.In addition to this,pls exfoliate as I had advised earlier.

For the marks and hyperpigmentation scars, you can use skin creams like hydroquinone, azelaic acid or tretinoin cream.Apply hydroquinone cream on these scars and it should go away in a few days to months.If it still persists then you can go in for laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion. Avoid picking, harsh scrubbing, and abrasive treatments unless prescribed by a dermatologist during this period.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

Thank you so much for all your help.
You have been very nice and helpful.
Would keep you updated.
And i hope i would get the products you mentioned "hydroquinone, azelaic acid or tretinoin cream" easily here in New Delhi, India.
Really thankful to you.
:)
I am living in USA since 2007.
I am using the Topisal for my Psoriasis. I have stopped because I dont have it anymore.
Do you have any other cream or medication for Psoriasis. It is getting worst and worst but I am not using the creams.
I am looking for some natural cure. Please suggest me.
You can contact me on ***@****
Thank you
Neil