Ingrown hair

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Ingrown hair

Since I was a teenager, I've had a very bad ingrown hair near my bikini line. I've tried everything to get it out. I even saw a dermatologist, and they said that there is nothing that can be done about it. It becomes very painful at times, and very often fills with puss. It normally drains by itself, but once the puss is out, it bleeds even without me touching it. I really need to know what to do about it, becuase it drives me crazy.
Ouch!  The best thing to do is keep the skin around the hair follicle exfoliated and clean, because the follicle is infected and the bacteria is festering.  I'm shocked that the dermatologist didn't recommend a treatment or regimen.  Have you tried applying, with a cotton swab, hydrogen peroxide as part of a daily and nightly regimen?  This should help kill any lingering bacteria.  When you bathe, simply using a washcloth with Dove or Ivory bar soap is a good exfoliator.  Stick with this simple routine and it should start to clear up over the next couple of weeks.  Hope you find relief soon!
It can be due to a boil. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. . Hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams, petroleum jelly, or similar products are more vulnerable to infection.

Apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Take some over the counter pain reliever and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription. If there are recurrent boils, then please get your blood sugar levels estimated. Also then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Thanks for the advice. I have tried using peroxide, and I only use mild soaps as I have very sensitive skin. I am hoping that I will find a doctor that will help me soon because it is very difficult to deal with. I have had my blood sugar tested many times in the past,and it is always normal. I will try using a washcloth to exfoliate the area ad see if that will help along with the warm compresses again though, and hopefully that will help some.