Ingrown hairs leave dark spots!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Ingrown hairs leave dark spots!

This has been occuring for the last six months or so. I looked up why I had a sudden sprout of ingrown hairs on my cheeks and jawline, and it attributed it to weight gain. That's valid, as I could stand to lose twenty pounds, but I'd like to save my skin for after I lose the weight!

So far, I keep getting ingrown hairs who sometimes grow out enough for me to pluck them, but other times, require me to carefully pull them out, as they've grown inside pimple-type bumps. After I pluck the hairs, it leaves dark spots I have no clue how to get rid of. And to make matters worse, in ingrown hairs grow back in the same spot. I presently have two spots on the underside of my chin where the same hair grows, and even when I pluck the hair when it grows again, it leaves two hard-ish bumps. I'm at my wits end!

First of all pls don’t try to pick the bumps.It will complicate the picture and lead to further infection or scarring.Apply warm compresses and apply some antibiotic cream like mupirocin or Neosporin.If the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed.

For the scars which are there, skin creams like hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream are useful.Apply hydroquinone cream on the scars and it should go away in a few days to months.If it still persists then you can go in for laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion. Avoid picking, harsh scrubbing, and abrasive treatments unless prescribed by a dermatologist during this period.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.