Dermatology Community
Ingrown hairs...never healed.
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ingrown hairs...never healed.

6548989?1295117667
I think I have ingrown hairs that have been aggravated on and off for months on my right calf. Exfoliating has an instant effect of bringing down the redness but there are still many hairs trapped underneath, inflammation (redness, some swelling, etc.), and skin growing over the hairs.

I'm not sure what to do to make it heal once and for all. Or how to really get the trapped hairs out because I'd have to dig at the skin and scar it to get to them.

I know you are supposed to tweeze them out but not pull but I can't even get to them despite exfoliating daily.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1563918_tn?1295558293
Starting to think these are probably petechiae and purpura, acutally... : [
Blank
1563918_tn?1295558293
Okay, I thought the former idea was way too serious so we looked it up and it could be folliculitis which means I'll need an antibiotic. Might have to go a clinic.
Blank
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
It can be due to irritated hair follicles or folliculitis. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph).

Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Blank
1563918_tn?1295558293
I think you're right. Lately, I've been applying 1% hydrocortisone once daily in the morning after exfoliating with a scrub that has tea tree oil in it. I apply the scrub twice daily and moisturize once a day. It has helped significantly!

Since I never had any signs of pus I kept assuming it wasn't an infection. However, the tea tree oil scrub (an antibacterial/antiseptic) has had immediate results. I've read that it is effective against Staphylococcus aureus (which I can't visibly see) but is probably contributing to the problem.

The inflammation has gone down dramatically. There are still a lot of trapped hairs and surrounding inflammation but much less so than before. I hoping that my entire leg will be healed soon.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write out and explain what it is and how I can help heal it. I'll keep your advice in mind.
Blank
563773_tn?1374250139
Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. Take care and God bless.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...