Insect Bites?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Insect Bites?

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. For the past 4 weeks i've been repeatedly bitten by something at night but I don't know what. The bites are very small (smaller than mosquito bites) and start off as bumps which go a pinky colour and are incredibly itchy. Some mornings I wake up and they are still raised but look like they have been bleeding although I do scratch in my sleep so i assume that's why. The itching is also worse after a hot bath.

They are only ever on my ankles, calves, knee, elbows and about an inch above my elbow - no where else despite the fact that my legs are covered at night but my upper arms aren't. Except for today where i have a very tiny one on my foot.

I've tried anti-itching creams and anti-histamines which only take the edge off the itching. The bites are sometimes in groups of 2-4 and sometimes it's just one bite on my leg and one bite on my elbow. Occasionally when i'm trying to sleep i feel a quick stinging pain and when I look an itchy bump has appeared but I cannot see a bug anywhere. I can't see any bed bugs (my bed is quite old so that's the first thing i checked) but I guess that doesn't mean they aren't there somewhere lol. I don't have any pets and I haven't been in contacts with any animals recently. Nobody else in the household is affected. I've attached a picture of bites I noticed this morning - there were pink bumps there last night but i'd obviously scratched them. They aren't usually in such an oderly row but i do get more bites on my ankles than anywhere else:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9906/image0019v.jpg

Has anyone got any ideas what this might be? the itching is driving me crazy!
From your symptoms one possibility that needs to be ruled out is scabies. It is an infestation of the skin with the Sarcoptes scabiei mite. It is characterized by intense itching, usually at night and by small insect-type bites lesions on the skin. Diagnosis of scabies is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.