Intense Pubic/Vulvar itching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Intense Pubic/Vulvar itching

I have been experiencing really intense itching in the pubic/vulvar regions. External only, no internal problems.  I was diagnosed with a bacterial infection back in february of this year, and have since been on several medications.  Ive tried Flagyl, and tindimax.  Neither of these worked.  So im not sure the correct diagnosis was made, I cannot afford to go back to the gyno because im currently out of work and have no income or insurance.  *sigh*  So, my question is, does this sound like a different kind of skin infection?

**not sure if this is relevant but the symptoms did subside for about 2 months, but during those 2 months i experienced extreme uticarita/pruritis.  hives everywhere all the time, not even prednisone worked on me.  The doctor diagnosed this as Erythema multiforme (minor) althought im not sure that it.  Well this week, magically the hivees went away but my symptoms for the pubic/vulvar itching have returned full blast,  Help?  Please i could just cry!  This has been going on since almost the beginning of this year.  Thanks
You have not mentioned about your sexual history. Itchy vagina and vulva can be due to allergic reaction or contact dermatitis to your undergarments, sanitary napkins or tampons, soaps etc. There is no change in the colour or smell of discharge in this case.

Secondly, It can be due to vaginal infections or STD’s like Chlamydia or thrush(red,sore,itchy vagina along with pain during sex and slight increase in the vaginal discharge may be present), Gonorrhea(Itchy, red, or swollen vagina and Pain during intercourse, urinating or abdominal pain may be present),Trichomoniasis(red, very itchy vagina along with greenish, frothy discharge is present) or Lichen sclerosis which is a non-infectious inflammatory skin disorder which affects the vulval and perianal skin(Symptoms include itchy, sore and inflamed vulval skin which cracks, causing additional pain and stinging and treated with a strong steroid cream).All of them except lichen sclerosus can be transmitted after oral or vaginal unprotected sex.

I suggest you to get an evaluation done from a dermatologist and if needed a biopsy may also be done to confirm the diagnosis.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you so much for your quick response.  you are right i did omit alot of pertinents information here.  So i had cultures done back in januray or fabruary of this year, and those panel results came back only detecting a bacterial infection.  I have not had any intercourse since then,. and really hadnt had any for a few months before that.  So i really am not convinced its and std?  I wear 100 % cotton underwear, and have used the same products for years.  As far as sanitary napkins go, i do use the summers eve feminine cleansing soft cloths.  and ive had no abnormal discharge or abnormal smell.  Just this crazy incessant itching.  I had figured that since i had the hives while the itching subsided, that they were related, and then had a pruritis/ urticaria panel (blood drawn) done which all came back negative.  Im just so confused as to how i could be diagnosed with bacterial infection, used flagyl and tindimax more than a few times and nothing. Im sure i need to go back to the gyno for another culture,. but times are tough and i was hoping for a more homeopathic method.  Dr. Kaur i truly apprecaite your time and response on this matter.  Have a wonderful day!