Irritated, raw, prickly feeling from the foreskin to the head of the pe...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Irritated, raw, prickly feeling from the foreskin to the head of the penis

I am a 32 yr old Circumsized, married male who has had a condition that has been around so long that I honestly can't remember what it felt like to be normal.  I had this problem before my wife and I were married.  Its not an STD and It's not something you can talk about freely with anyone and throw out ideas like the common cold.  This condition first came about in June of '99. My wife and I were married in 2003.  I have been to many, many Doctors (Family MD, Dermatology (3), Urologist, Chiropractor) for help in diagnosing and treating.  My problems seemed fairly straight forward, or so I thought.  I have been given many different topical creams to try varying in strength.  I have also changed soaps, laundry detergent, tighter underwear, etc. and nothing seems to work.  I have also had 8-10 cortisone shots of which had no affect, except for a sore hip.  I was last referred to a Chiropractor in an effort to see if it could stem from my spine (maybe nerve related).  I have had xrays and have mild scoliosis and the C4 -C5 vertabrae has a slight herniation and bone spurs closing up the nerve canal. It hurts quite often, but feel its unrelated (just some history).  After several years of trying anything I could the problem with hypersensitivity around the foreskin and head somewhat diminished, but not totally.  Only enough that I could go about day to day activities and not notice a problem with my penis rubbing my underwear.  I was ok and could accept that.  I have not been able to dry off with a towel when i get out of the shower without patting the area dry.  Also, I cannot wear swim trunks without wearing underwear underneath (the mesh hurts).  Whenever its loose, it drives me crazy!!!  11 yrs or so later, I have noticed just last week that it has started to irritate me once again, just when i thought the worst of it was gone!  There is no discoloration, everything appears normal.  The foreskin feels super ticklish / raw and the head raw and prickly, like pins to the touch.  With no clothes on standing still, I can't even tell I have a problem, but when there is movement and contact with clothing my focus is drawn there constantly and it seriously affects my overall activity and sexual life.  I am concerned that it is Nerve related and cannot be healed.  It is hypersensitive, not numbing.  I feel plenty.  Right now I am afraid to touch it because I am afraid to make it worse.  I plan to see a Dermatologist tomorrow, but I don't have much hope!  Anyone please help!
From the symptoms the possibility of balanoposthitis needs to be ruled out. Oral course of antibiotics is needed. In addition, please don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin. Also corticosteroids and topical immunosuppressants can be used but they are available under prescription. Also retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then please consult a urologist/dermatologist for evaluation and antimicrobials and steroids prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

The problem is likely (at least partly) psycological: as your attention is focused on that part of the body more than is usual due to it's being (most likely) neglected.

Go get a fleshlight, or similar device, from the sex shop. Buy the best one and get the best lube available. Also get your wife a vibrator. Its just a nice thing to do, she still likes orgasms too, though it may not always seem so.

-also just use more lube in general.