Irritated Lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Irritated Lips

I have had irritated lips for the past few months. My lips are red, inflamed and are cracking all over, it is getting worse and worse by the day. I have tried balms, vassiline cream and  have been to my GP who gave me steroid cream which has had little effect??
i have had then same problem and just been back to my doctor and he gave me a antibiocic , it is really working!
i recommend going back , as you seem to have the same symtoms (symptoms) as me

good luck

There are two possibilities that are coming in my mind.

Firstly,It can be due to vit B deficiency.Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly,it can be due to atopic dermatitis or eczema. Cheilitis(Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips)is often seen in atopic dermatitis.

Avoid licking the lips as saliva evaporates quickly resulting in them being drier than before. Drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply shea butter or Vaseline on your lips.You can also use a homemade ointment mixed from 1 tsp glycerine, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp castor oil. Spread on lips overnight, refrigerating the leftovers for future use. Eat foods high in calcium, magnesium and flaxseed oil. If a week of compresses and emollients don't do the trick, you can add over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment to your regimen.

If the condition still persists or there is deep cracking in the region of your mouth,then pls consult your doctor as it can be due to infection(Angular Cheilitis).Antibiotics are needed in such cases.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.