Irritated Nostril from picking or pulling nose hairs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

This past weekend on Saturday 8/30/08 I started to pluck out / pull my hairs out of my right nostril. I have a trimmer but it stopped working and I thought pulling my nose hairs out will do the same trick. I noticed on Sunday 8/31/08 it started to become irritated and I started to pick my nose actually.. I know it's not really the nicest nor cleanest thing to do.

Instead of using a tissue I would just pick and then wipe it on the tissue. I stopped poking my finger in my nose and picking my nose later that night on Sunday. Yesterday it was fairly irritated and red and today it's irritated and still red pretty sensitive when I blow my nose. It looks like there's tiny blisters on my right nostril in the center area where the cartilage is.

I'm sure it's due me constant picking and pulling nose hairs out but I was wondering.. if being in dry weather has irritated it more and if this is infected now and if I should speak to my GP and get a cream for it. I was reading about staph infections.. so I'm starting to believe I have a staph infection in my nostril.

Thank you in advance for reading my question.
ingrown nose hairs they are painfull but iwll go away
Do you think i've created ingrown hairs from pulling them out.. or from me picking and scratching so much is just irritated as hell.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This could be folliculitis or inflammed hair follicles which resulted from your pulling of the hair. The most common offending organism in folliculitis is Staphylococcus aureus.
Culture of the lesion establishes the diagnosis and should indicate the appropriate antibiotic choice. An appropriate antibacterial ointment imay aso help. It is importan to keep the area clean and dry and to avoid nose picking .If it persists, it is best to see your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Take care and regards.

its just like a zit kinda thing... the pore will be sore and have puss build up in it because of the hair folicle root....  personally i pick the **** out of them as well make them bleed almost then jst let it heal like a normal cut or wound....
It's actually a blister.. no really a pimple the there is a whole area that is red / scabbed over from the irritation.

so I've been putting neosporin on it to keep it from getting infected. This morning when I put some on used a Qtip and you know when a blister has the skin that's raised and it can be pulled off. I did that and pushed it with the Q tip and then put some neosporin.. will that help for the time being.

Is it ok to use neosporin on my nostril area on the inside...

I made a doc appt for monday.
what ever happened as a result of this?