Irritated mole or something worse?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Irritated mole or something worse?

My question: can an mole irriated by scratch appear to be like melanoma? a mole have recently changed greatly after having been scratched.

I am a 22 year old asian man and I have a mole on my back, it's one of the few mole that's noticable and it occasionally itches. about a year ago I visited a primary care provider, who gave me a curorsory examination and told me that the mole is ok. it was black, oval shaped with regular edges.

about a week ago my girlfriend scratched the mole and it sharply hurt for about a minute

today I was bothered by the itching and examined it. It seems that the very top of the mole have a distinctive lump, darker than the other areas. the mole itself is still very oval shaped but there is a ring of redness surrounding it, seemingly irraitated skin?

I understand that I shall get it check out ASAP but I have no health insurance for the next 7 month (until I enter medical school), My parents say they can help me get it checked out but that involves flying to a different state 3000 miles away and invalidate all my holiday plans.
also, the current shape of the mole is dark with a small tip of very black top that points out and a ring of red irriatiation around the mole, not good.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers