Irritation at Base of Penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Irritation at Base of Penis

I am a 23 year old male from the US.  About 4 months ago I noticed the base of my penis was unusually red so I stopped all masturbation, shaving and trimming routines.  I also noticed a few small white bumps begin to appear and went to the Dr to get them checked out.  He said the white bumps were Fordyces Spots and were perfectly normal and that the irritation would go away on its on.  Thats fine but it has been 4 months and still the redness and irritation still persists even though I have cut out all that may be causing it.  I have since then been checked for Herpes, HIV and Syphilis all of which came back negative.  

First question is can Fordyces Spots be irritated and if so for how long?
Second question is could this be a STD and my tests just missed it?
Third question is what kind of medication should I use to possibly treat this?

I really have no idea and I am lost at what to do next. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and help.

This could be - pearly penile papules or fordyce spots. You would need to consult your doctor for a confirmed diagnosis.

'Fordyce spots are small (1-5mm) bright red or purple papules that can appear on the glans (glands), shaft or scrotum and usually affect younger men. They may occur as a solitary lesion, but frequently appear in crops of 50 to 100. They are painless and not itchy, but may cause embarrassment because of their appearance, or a fear that they might be sexually transmitted. '

From childhood to adults, Fordyce’s Condition increases. Men are more likely to develop the condition with almost 90 percent of adult men having the condition. The condition can appear either as a single lesion or in a symmetrical group of up to fifty. The spots are typically two to five mm in diameter. The growth of the lesions will not affect surrounding tissue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordyce's_spot

Vaporising laser treatments such as CO2 laser or electro desiccation have been used with some success in diminishing the appearance of this condition if they are of cosmetic concern. However, most doctors consider this a normal physiological phenomenon and advise against treatment.

Sometimes a doctor will prescribe TCA chemical peels, although as soon as treatment is stopped Fordyce’s Condition will return. The condition can also be removed with laser vaporization. Diathermy or liquid nitrogen freezing can also sometimes be used to remove the condition.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers