Dermatology Expert Forum
Is Recurring Water Blisters a symptom of Lupus or Scleroderma

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I have been diagosned with Scleroderma and Lupus - Overlap Autoimmune Dieases. Last Sept.2005 water blisters first appeared on my left rib cage- they left in couple of weeks- then the appeared on my left breast- then couple weeks left - then it appeared on my left shoulder. Everywhere it left a scar.
The blisters reappeared about 10 days ago - first 2 blisters on left breast and now 2 more have appeared on same breast they are very painful.
I have had a test for chickenpox and it showed I had never had them so I took 2 shots to immune myself from aquiring the diease in 1996. So more than likely it is not shingles (it does not look like shingles to the doctors I have shown it to)!

My Rhemulogist is not sure what it is but said she had one other patient that had blisters on her ankles ever 3 years.

I take Methotrexate .04cc. Predisone 7.5 mg, Plaquenil 200mg/2 day, Prilosec 40 mg, Loratab 10 mg/3day, Celexa, Zanafles 4mg, Duragesic Patch 75 mg, Folic Acid, lassic 20 mg, Potassium 595 mg, Estratest, and Lyrica 150 mg/2 day.

Please give me an answer- No one not even the Dermatologist I saw knows exactly what is causing these painful recurring blisters.
Thanks,
trishric
I'm afraid I don;t know either.  They don't remind me of any disease in particular, certainly not shingles.  I don't know of autoimmune diseases that cause such blisters wither.  I suggest you ask the dermatologist who saw you whether a culture and biopsy might be revealing.  
Best.

Dr. Rockoff
  You might want to ask your doctor about a rare blood disorder called porphoria it is none as PCT., The most common cure for it is they take a pint of blood every 2 weekss till they get you c right.I have read alot about it, But I just can't remember it all right now.Good Luck
PCT causes blisters on the backs of the hands, not on covered areas.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, patch of water blister come back every 6 months same place. was started.