Dermatology Expert Forum
Is it a Sebaceous Cyst or Wart?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Is it a Sebaceous Cyst or Wart?

Several weeks ago I noticed a pimple or bump on the underside of the shaft of my penis.

I was so worried that it was a wart, so I went to the health clinic and a nurse examined me.  She said she didn't think it was a wart because it didn't look like one and didn't have any cauliflower appearance traits.

She said it looked like a sebeceous cyst, although she commented it felt hard.   She recommened neosporin creme and for me to watch it for a while.

It's been a couple weeks and I think its a little smaller but I honestly dont know.  I go through periods where I really worry about it.

Should I have someone else look for a 2nd opinion?  Is there any case where cyst heals itself?

I think I have another condition called sebaceous prominence, so I think this makes it more likely that this is a cyst of some kind.  Can cysts be hard?

Yes, they can.  And they don't go away either, because they're a normal part of penile anatomy.  If you're not completely comfortable with the nurse's opinion, you should get another one.  Since the cyst will remain, you need complete reassurance so you can forget about it.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
OK, I've been worried about this, so I went to my doctor.

He told me it wasn't a sebaceous cyst, but herpes.

I'm a little confused, because:

1) i've had this small bump or whatever it is for at least a month and I didn't think herpes lasted this long

2) i've never had any symptoms such as burning or anything like that

3) there is only one, not multiple ones

My doctor is very good and I don't want to question his judgement.  I asked him if it could be a wart, and he said no, so that's two different opinions both saying its not a wart.

But can herpes last this long?  I mean the bump or whatever it is?   30+ days??

He gave me a prescription to take, so I'll take it.   He indicated it was a herpes scar or something, not so much an outbreak.

Does this sound possible?  Anyone else had anything like this?

He also said on a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being the worst, I have a 1.5 compared to others he's seen.

Any comments would be appreciated~!

After re-reading my post, I better clarify I know HERPES -- the virus -- can last that long, if not a lifetime, but I'm talking about the physical outbreak or something it leaves behind.

That can last 30 days or more?
Herpes doesn't scar, and it doesn't last a month.  Please ask another doctor.

Dr. Rockoff
OK, the small bump/pimple is now gone after two weeks on Valtrex.

I still doubt is was herpes, as I would have had the bump nearly 5 weeks before it went away.

I'm noticing more and more small bumps on my penis, testicles, and in my pubic hair region.   They look like the sebecous prominence seen on this page (acutall not as bad):

http://www.studenthealth.co.uk/leaflets/NormalVariantsInAnogenitalSkin.htm

My question is -- does sebecous prominence continue to get worse?  

I definatly see hairs growing directly out of some of these -- so i don't think it's genital warts.

Any thoughts???
Go see another dermotologist.  

Personally I do not think it is herpes.
Yeah, Hi im 15, and ive had these white dots all over my penis and my nuts, they are small, but there is alot, they dont look like warts, what do I DO!?!?!!?!
if you tried to pop a cyst on your penis and it just got bigger. would a doctor be able to cut it off for you? i have a huge cyst. pretty embarrassing
A related discussion, cyst on penis shaft was started.